Home U.S. Coin Forum

$20 double eagle gold w/ PL (proof-like) Surfaces:

LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2020 9:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, I have to say that this is a pretty new topic for me to explore since I never would have imagined I would own a $20 Lib that has PL surfaces. I also was not aware that this 1874-CC $20 Lib had PL surfaces when I purchased it... BUT, I am so pleasantly shocked and suprised that it infact does.

I would love to see pics of other $20 Liberty gold w/ PL surfaces if you have them!

Also, how rare are PL surfaces on $20 Liberty gold and what are your thoughts on these type of “new die surfaces” on the 74-CC and also on all $20’s in general???

See a pic of her below...

Comments

• BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree, prooflike Double Eagles with reflective fields are extremely attractive. These coins often need to be viewed “in-hand” to be fully appreciated since the reflective surfaces tend to exaggerate even minor surface abrasions. Additionally, truly prooflike Liberty Double Eagles are rare compared with typical examples and represent less than 1% of surviving coins.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Carson City!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice CC gold, however, I really cannot evaluate the surfaces from those pictures... too much glare and the fields 'appear' mottled. Cheers, RickO

Here is another example...

The 1898-S $20 is the second most "common" prooflike double eagle with the 1904 being by far the most frequently encountered. You can be choosy if you are looking a 1904, 1898-S or 1904-S prooflike twenty, but the other dates are harder to locate.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson City too!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice CC gold, however, I really cannot evaluate the surfaces from those pictures... too much glare and the fields 'appear' mottled. Cheers, RickO

@RickO,

edited June 23, 2020 10:02AM

see above for better pics...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown .... Thanks for the new pictures...Those are very nice surfaces and not common on CC coins that I have seen...Cheers, RickO

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold cac too boot!! What’s the assigned grade?

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Gold cac too boot!! What’s the assigned grade?

@Bigbuck1975 - AU50 is the assigned grade.

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much of a premium do PL surfaces typically command above a typical example?

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020 11:37PM

@Crusty said:

From CoinFacts 1904 $20:

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is tough to get the pl designation on business strikes, PCGS started doing that as NGC has been doing for a long time now. Also a coin usually needs to be a 55-58 or Unc. to be called prooflike. You could try a designation review at PCGS or NGC specifying minimum grade.

edited June 24, 2020 7:08AM

In regards to my AU50... I will probably just keep it in the old blue holder AU50 gold sticker designation 🤩 and call it a day, but I really like the expert information on this thread!

Has anyone else ever seen or owned a $20 Lib CC with PL surfaces? It seems from everything I am hearing thst this is fairly rare...

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Heritage.

edited June 24, 2020 8:19AM

Goldbully,

Whats the post you just posted??

Fyi... thats the same coin in the OP above.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown said:
    Goldbully,

Whats the post you just posted??

Fyi... thats the same coin in the OP above.

If you go here... https://www.pcgs.com/cert/15811437 .....you will see the Heritage auction link.

@Crusty said:

The premium depends on many factors including the date/mint, reflectivity, eye appeal, CAC approval, etc, but typically a coin designated as PL sells for 30-100%+ premium. The lower end will be for dates like 1904, 1904-S, 1898-S, and a few of the other more common dates. There are some dates in the liberty head double eagle series which there are no PL examples designated (including many Type 1s and 2s).

Listed below are several PL examples that were sold last week by Stack’s-Bowers. You can get a sense of the premium for PL examples.

1874-S $20 PCGS MS60 PL $3720
    1877 $20 PCGS MS61 PL $2880
    1877 $20 PCGS MS61 PL $2760
    1895-S $20 PCGS MS63 PL $3600
    1907-D $20 PCGS MS62 PL $3600

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still kick myself for selling the raw GLISTENING P/L that I got when I first opened the shop in 1979.
    Got a massive premium, though. I think I got 400 bucks or so. :D

@Leeroybrown said:
    Has anyone else ever seen or owned a $20 Lib CC with PL surfaces? It seems from everything I am hearing that this is fairly rare...

There have been around 50 CC twenties designated PL by the major grading services. The most commonly encountered dates are '93-CC, '92-CC and '76-CC. The '74-CC as shown in the first post is very rare in PL with only 1 designated by NGC (an AU55).

About 8 years ago, I saw this unique 1874-CC $20 newly listed on Park Avenue’s web site for $14410. By the time I inquired (within a few days) it had already been sold. I still have the email with my inquiry so I am sure about the price.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have said it before, bloodman has one of the collections I admire most that I know about on the forum. He has been doing PL 20$s since way before they were cool

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020 2:26PM

Hell of a coin OP, I have been thinking about a CC DE for a year or so and that is a nice one and better date too.

I would caution that PL, Flashy and glossy are three completely different affects and can be found in various and mixed ratios on a coin. I am not saying anything specific about your coin other than I don’t think it meets the technical def of PL even if it is proof like. Lot of people throw around the term PL.

Question for the board, what do you think CAC graded it? I suspect AU55+

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020 4:23PM

@Leeroybrown said:
    Well, I have to say that this is a pretty new topic for me to explore since I never would have imagined I would own a $20 Lib that has PL surfaces.

I would love to see pics of other $20 Liberty gold w/ PL surfaces if you have them!

Thanks for starting a most interesting thread. Also kudos to BloodMan for the posted pics of other $20 Liberty gold w/PL Surfaces as well as the informative information relating to $20 Liberty Proof Like gold in general.

If you still want to see one more pic, here is a link to my separate thread which includes a photo of my 1850 $20 Double Eagle as well as some information about the one in the Paris Museum that is believed to be a proof.

Quoting from the linked thread regarding my 1850 $20 Double Eagle with regard to its Proof Like appearance:

" ....having been in the personal collection of its designer, James B. Longacre and as such, along with its unique appearance, may well be one of, if not the first, $20 double eagle struck at the Philadelphia Mint for circulation. It was first sold in Longacre's 1870 estate auction where it was referenced as a "proof." Max Mehl in a subsequent 1949 auction described the coin stating, "I classify it as a brilliant semi-proof, almost equal to a brilliant proof." Its most recent auction appearance was at the 2001 Superior Galleries' "Pre-Long Beach Sale with the auction description stating, "This coin has a beautiful bold strike with full stars and all other details sharp and clear. The fields are Prooflike ...."

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12634707#Comment_12634707

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

I have a Liberty $20 thats at least semi prooflike. Dont have a pic. Im going to put a Double Eagle in my box of 20 and this one will go in

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations OP, I see this thread just received recognition as "The Best of". the threads currently posted on this forum!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039710/how-does-a-discussion-that-was-closed-yesterday-by-moderators-end-up-on-the-best-of-list-today#latest

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a 75cc $20 graded MS60 last year that I sent in with semi pl surfaces, I have found cc $20s better struck often. This one could have gotten a star designation which is NGC code for either superior eye appeal or semi pl, falling short of pl.

What was the verdict on the 75-cc ??

edited June 27, 2020 7:34AM

Crypto, Thanks for the kind comments.

Here is a PL CC $20, which seems appropriate for this thread. While this is a relatively common CC date, it is not often seen with truly prooflike surfaces.

edited June 27, 2020 6:32AM

A beautiful coin, Bloodman. I stark contrast from my 90-cc for sure...

Mine is more of an ODG piece...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file