Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Competition With Hansen in CAC Barber Quarters is Heating Up!

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

HI Folks,
I just uploaded my 2 new Barber quarters in the CAC registry. The link is in my signature. I now am 50% complete and in #3 position, ever creeping closer to the DL Hansen set. His current set is 68.92% completed, with a GPA weighted 66.40. My GPA weighted is 33.96. I figure is he sells some of his, and I get to 100% completion I could catch 'im or maybe even pass. So this is a heated battle for the #2 ranked set (disclaimer, this is of course all in jest ;) ).

Here are the 2 newps, both D mint. They have the look I am shooting for, in Barbers the dove grey surfaces with that original look is the cats meow to me.

Post your D mint Barber Quarters in this thread!

Here are a few of the other D mint examples in the set:

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke.... Those are very, very nice coins.... Good luck in your quest...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins!

I also agree with Broadstruck...you can overtake Hansen!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    Beautiful coins!

I also agree with Broadstruck...you can overtake Hansen!

Of course quite a few in the set came from you and much thanks for it!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. But you know, it is awfully tough to find the right coins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Job! If you get a little closer maybe we can start a space watch thread.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice additions. Lots of fun in the hunting for the right coins

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go go goooooo! Crush him! :p

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW I was surprised to see that in the initial Early Dollars Registry set category Hansen is ranked number one and Bruce is only number two despite his collection of Early Dollars including the 10 million dollar 1794 that will be coming up for auction in October at Legend’s Regency sale.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice B-quarters....thanks for keeping us posted on your set’s progress .

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of your set - keep it up. Thats what is important - being focused, and not having others buy and register the coins for you.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you certainly have an eye for nice coins, but calling out a billionaire might not be a sound strategy. ;)

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Happy to help. But you know, it is awfully tough to find the right coins.

Finding the "right" coins is the key. I haven't looked and just am not that familiar with the Barber series, but I suspect you could complete this set if you settled for "any" coin in the next couple of months. Having the patience to wait for the "right" coin is what really makes a set like this stand out. Not many people have the patience to stick with it and end up cutting corners. When I see an evenly matched circulated set with a consistent look in just about any series, it really stands out and is just as commendable (and in my book more so) than a top pop set.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second the comment from @msch1man A well matched set (any series, any grades) is just so hard to do. I'm not actually sure if I've ever seen a complete matched set in any series! Has there ever been one posted here? Looking forward to seeing @spacehayduke 's when he's finished!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Well, you certainly have an eye for nice coins, but calling out a billionaire might not be a sound strategy. ;)

And......if you are in a competition........why are you giving your competitor a heads -up? Keep it under wraps until you've got what it takes to win. Then.....spring it.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    Second the comment from @msch1man A well matched set (any series, any grades) is just so hard to do. I'm not actually sure if I've ever seen a complete matched set in any series! Has there ever been one posted here? Looking forward to seeing @spacehayduke 's when he's finished!

They won't be matched in grade but I am trying to match in quality surfaces. I bet this set could be completed in a month no problem just using ebay, in these grades in TPG holders or possibly restricting to PCGS (maybe not all CACed). The 3 keys are there with several choices. But I am trying to find great coins in these grades based on my education from Tom Bush and from my experience collecting bust quarters.

Best, SH

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid, good-looking, wholesome set!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2020 7:29PM

Very nice examples! You've got a good eye for surface quality in my opinion. I can certainly relate to your enthusiasm for the Barber quarters and will share a favorite D mint that I have in my collection:

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That’s huge

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I was courteous to knock Mr. Hansen out of first place in the 1932-2020 Washington quarter set (400++ coin set) earlier in the month. No “sandbagging” him / waiting until the final hour of the final day this month to post my coins, etc. And, Mr. Hansen returned the favor to me, posting his latest hundreds of thousands of dollars of new buys a few days later knocking me out of first place with a power punch the likes of Mike Tyson in his prime.

I’ve been saying this for years and years... never get into a fight with a billionaire ... it won’t end well for you.

Wondercoin

Yes, for sure. Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke
    I like the look of your coins better than MS examples.
    And they may just be slightly harder to locate..... B)

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@wondercoin said:
    I was courteous to knock Mr. Hansen out of first place in the 1932-2020 Washington quarter set (400++ coin set) earlier in the month. No “sandbagging” him / waiting until the final hour of the final day this month to post my coins, etc. And, Mr. Hansen returned the favor to me, posting his latest hundreds of thousands of dollars of new buys a few days later knocking me out of first place with a power punch the likes of Mike Tyson in his prime.

I’ve been saying this for years and years... never get into a fight with a billionaire ... it won’t end well for you.

Wondercoin

Yes, for sure. Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

one day, years ago, my capped bust half dime year set (just nine coins) was at the top. It was the one day that Simpson's set was down, maybe for maintenance. That was a good day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file