Home U.S. Coin Forum

1926 P Toned Raw Mercury Dime. On the way to PCGS 6-26-20.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2020 2:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is it worth sending to PCGS for grading?

Thanks.
Ken

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would. I'd like it preserved if nothing else.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 8:34AM

@ms70 said:

I read that a lot. But there are much more economical ways of preserving coins.

I grade the coin 64FB, due to the dull, very dark areas.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, on the fence here. Not the most attractive toning. FB it appears. Cost of grading sure would cut into any profit margin but then if it's a 65 or higher it sure would be worth it.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 8:27AM

That would do better being graded at NGC where it will likely go 1 pt higher. That's not the look PCGS prefers. As long as the coin is clean as can be and the luster shows through easily under than thicker toning. Has to be a slam dunk 65/66 on luster and surfaces.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think it would be worth the money, PCGS favors high luster and from the photos this coin looks very dark. While the strike is nice and free of marks I just don't see it going above 64 due to the impaired luster.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unattractive toning pattern. Dull looking fields. It does appear to have full bands but may only go 63 ... 64 on a good day.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you take a couple photos of the coin tilted in the light to give an idea of luster?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be interested in that coin graded.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

from your pics I would say 64 fb. So it depends what you paid.

@Kccoin said:
    from your pics I would say 64 fb. So it depends what you paid.

If the decision whether to have the coin graded is going to be based on economic considerations, cost should be irrelevant. What should count is the difference in “value”, without grading, vs. with grading. Another lesser consideration could be liquidity.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes all true @mfeld . The range in value will probably be wider with the coin being raw.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at the full sized images.
    Short answer is no.

Longer answer: Heavy Hits on the neck, some possible scrapes in the chin/jaw area, heavy hits on the lower half of the bands, and those are just the hits that jump out at me and are not hidden by the crusty toning...it will be a coin toss if it goes FB and if it doesn't go FB then there goes more potential profit and next to the left star on the reverse there is what looks to be a carbon spot, then the luster does not seem great and then you combine that with what could be terminal toning that has eaten through the luster layer which I am not a fan of, then the toning itself is not attractive....so I think you either have a 63 or a 63FB coin if the graders are in a good mood. Granted, I have seen much worse get the FB designation. If you look at the full retail PCGS price guide, it is either a $70 or $85 coin... and no one wants to pay full retail so that lowers it and then with the eye appeal towards the negative spectrum, the price drops even more. I would call it a raw $50 item on eBay and hope for the best. Could it grade 64FB as others suggested, sure it could but is it worth the risk and the rounded spend of $30 (including shipping) when combined with a larger submission to find out? Another option is to send it to Great Collections, get half priced grading essentially and you don't have to pay for shipping to and from PCGS...but then you do pay for the auction fee....so maybe a little less risk that way if you are ultimately going to sell it.

Disclaimer: Only have those pics to work from and...I have owned a PCGS Merc that was MS65 and then later graded as 67+...so, anything is possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not a cheapskate.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks FB from the photos. If you think it'll make 64FB, it's probably a winning proposition economically to submit it. I'm not convinced 64 is a lock. As @roadrunner stated, NGC may be a better bet although the market tends to discount Mercs in NGC holders fairly significantly vs. PCGS.

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not a cheapskate.

And neither are those who choose not to spend extra, unnecessary money on slabbing, just in order to preserve coins.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, I would.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't. Cost to grade vs coin value is not worth it. It wont go higher than 64fb. And it may come back environmental damage, reverse is pretty dark.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, unattractive toning will hurt the grade.

Vplite99

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not a cheapskate.

And neither are those who choose not to spend extra, unnecessary money on slabbing, just in order to preserve coins.

"Unnecessary" is only your opinion.

edited June 21, 2020 3:00PM

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not a cheapskate.

“Unnecessary” is my opinion, and many others share it. Why, in your opinion, would it be necessary?

Countless coins in better condition and of much higher value have been extremely well preserved for decades, without slabbing. And that’s not only my opinion, either.

edited June 21, 2020 3:12PM

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not a cheapskate.

“Unnecessary” is my opinion, and many others share it. Why, in your opinion, would it be necessary?

Countless coins in better condition and of much higher value have been extremely well preserved for decades, without slabbing. And that’s not only my opinion, either.

I think you just like to argue with people. And yes, that's my opinion.

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

@MFeld said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not a cheapskate.

I think you just like to argue with people. And yes, that's my opinion.

You’re the one who took issue with my comment that getting the coin graded and slabbed wasn’t necessary to preserve it. And not surprisingly, you haven’t even made an effort to explain why you disagreed with what I posted.

Back to the question, at hand...Ken, what thoughts and considerations do you have about whether to submit the coin?

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just like to send 1 or 2 coins in on a submission just to see how they get graded. My thought on this one is 63 or 64 but who knows. The other coins in the submission, when I get around to it, will make up for this one money wise. Just curious I guess.

Ken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin, your money.... No justification needed beyond your personal decision. A suggestion though, you may want to consider their services to improve the coin by reducing the terminal state of the tarnish. Cheers, RickO

• remumcremumc Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

With that dark thick crusty toning, I think it will grade 63FB. Not worth it economically to me, but maybe worth it to you on an grading education level.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of depends on what you have in it.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rims look excellent, and I am not sure the marks at the neck are scratches in the coin (as opposed to the die - they look to be in relief). Even the mark at the brow looks to be pre-strike.
    Send it in and send me a reward if it comes back 65FB, even if 64 is more like it.

My main point is to look at the rim for wear and circulation as another important area.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning has a somewhat odd appeal to these eyes. It's definitely different. I like the brightness on the face and how the date with the dark numerals jumps out via the toning. Agree, the rev.is somewhat dark, but the obv. is what I'm basing it's appeal (to me) on. It's just different enough to appreciate. One can't always define with words why you like something. Sometimes it's just that simple, you like it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Sent to PCGS on 6-26-20. Sure hope they like the coin.

Ken

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck to you. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

A 58+ grade on the coin would be way cool. Looks like it would be a Pop 1. The other grade that I am looking for is 64FB.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file