Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Your opinions on whether to seek reconsiderations for coins in older PCGS holders

Some of my registry set coins are in older PCGS holders (e.g., Gen 3.0 - Jan. 1990 - Feb. 1993). I am considering submitting some of them for reconsideration. I don't want to burden you with photos of these coins (most are in SDBs anyway), but would value anyone commenting generally as to the likelihood of an upgrade based solely on the age of the holders. Have any of you noted any particular categories of holders that appear to be good candidates for reconsideration? The one Gen 3.0 coin I do have at home is a 64, but looks considerably better to me.

Thanks for any observations you folks might want to make.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is one strategy but for non collectible holders where there is no premium, I would just go the regrade route. It will be faster and allows the coin to be fully viewed raw.

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Boosbri.

I think I asked my initial question badly. What I was trying to get at is the likelihood of an upgrade for these older holders. Put another way, would, say Gen 3.0 coins, be somewhat more likely than more recently graded coins to be upgraded? As I mentioned, the one I have at home is a 64, but looks better than that to me, based on the grades I have seen in newer holders. The chances of getting a better grade obviously depends on the individual coin, but I was seeking the group's overall experiences in seeking upgrades for older holders.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long have you owned the coins?

It has been my experience that PCGS was, overall, a bit tighter in assigning grades during the 1990-1993 period than they have been at most other times. However, depending upon the grade, the coin series and the look of the coin in-hand there is a certain likelihood that one or more folks (and some of these folks are very sharp graders) have already evaluated your coins with their own eyes before you owned them and the coins were not deemed to be arbitrage eligible.

Additionally, since you have posted this in the World & Ancients forum and given your avatar, I imagine that the coins are "World" coins and not US coins. If so, then the initial populations of your coins in PCGS OGHs is likely quite low. Therefore, there would be a certain amount of exclusivity, liquidity and value lost if one were to lose the OGH for a new holder.

Truly, I would post images here if you have them and then tread lightly on the idea of mass reconsideration of older holders. I have seen more than once on these boards how folks have loved their premium coins in older holders and then followed the siren song of potential profits to have them all regraded (or reconsideration) only to fall out of love with maxed out coins in new plastic and the coins are subsequently sold and lose some of the cool factor.

Post images!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, there is not a simple answer. Consider undertaking a little research... Look at some pop reports, auction catalogs to determine condition rarity and look to see how your coins measure up. Part of my concern would be what is the complete scope of what has been graded and is there enough graded to really gage whether there would a change in the grade opinion.

I suspect you may have some upgrades but develop an appreciation for the value between grades to help with your decision as to whether resubmitting is worth pursuing. Any resubmissions should be considered on a coin by coin basis.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Could not get the edit thing to work...just to be clear, I was under the impression you have world coins which accounts for the rationale and suggestions provided.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the standard should not be the holder but the coin itself.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm satisfied with my grade !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Useful advice and I am grateful for the time you all put into responding. I will post a photo shortly (gotta go dig it out...).

• Options

Here are some photos; not sure if they advance the conversation at all. This particular coin is not expensive and, oddly enough, if you look at the recent sales in the Pop Report, it looks like 64's are not much cheaper than 66's!

Anyhow, I am now convinced seeking an upgrade makes no financial sense at all. Thanks again for the input!

Reverse:

Obverse:

• Options
    angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

If you have any in old type ANACS small holders, I have had great luck at upgrades. One went from AU 55 to a MS 63.

Many went up one or two points and some stayed the same, with very few downgrades

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think seeking an upgrade in that series or similar ones is financially worth it unless it will get you a top pop or lone top pop.

I have had similar thoughts on a few of the coins I own. I feel like they can grade tough on coins from that era. I think there is the potential that they were a little less consistent in their grades in the early 2000s. I think the chances of under grading are about the same as over grading. I have some recently graded ones that I think could be undergraded too.

I think they tend to over grade circulated coins, but it's so rare to have circulated coins in these types.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think they would grade the coin and not the holder

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Exceptional coin.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

@angelo43 said:
    If you have any in old type ANACS small holders, I have had great luck at upgrades. One went from AU 55 to a MS 63.

Many went up one or two points and some stayed the same, with very few downgrades

I’ve done better with small Anacs: AU50 to MS64 BN. B)

@bidask said:
    I would think they would grade the coin and not the holder

They do.

@Abuelo said:
    I think that the standard should not be the holder but the coin itself.

It is.

I would personally, never break an OGH, just because I like them so much. And if you’re thinking of reselling, most will sell for higher prices too, regardless if the coin inside is worth an upgrade, not worth an upgrade or maybe even worth a downgrade.

But then again, the registry game is a different animal.

I have lately gone through the vast majority of my most serious coins, looking for coins for reconsideration. Cracking a slab carries the risk of a downgrade, no matter how much you think that the upgrade is “a lock”. The coins were mostly certified during 2000-2004, so they were not collectable holders, they were just thinner and fit in the old wooden PCGS boxes ,that the new thicker ones don’t. Out of 150 serious coins, I’ve chosen 10 coins, that I personally thought that they were all worthy of an upgrade of one to two points, especially when compared with similarly graded coins by PCGS.

Well, the success rate was rather small. One bumped up 2 points, two more got a one point upgrade ( but the one among them doubled its value because of that upgrade, so for that one alone it was worth it, especially since it was the priciest one among those 10) and finally one more received a + to its previous (64) grade,but not the 65 I was expecting. So all in all I’d say 35% success. But again, it was based on the quality of the coins, a 7% sample after meticulously reviewing all of them, and with a second expert opinion. Again, I’d personally never crack an OGH, or any holder in general for that matter unless it was a mediocre grade from across the street. But I’m not playing the registry game either, so I get your dilemma.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet set bidask. You can send it to me, and I’ll sign you any paper that you want, that they WILL NEVER be reconsidered, cracked etc. Hein? :p

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3