Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened to the "Genuine - No Details" option

OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I was under a rock when this change was made, but what happened to the PCGS submission option to NOT have the Details grade on the holder for Genuine/no-grade coins?

All I'm seeing are the following two options:
1. HOLDER COINS WITH GENUINE DETAIL GRADES
2. DO NOT HOLDER

I submit a few chopmarked coins to PCGS every year, so anything that isn't a US trade dollar is a genuine/no grade, and says "Chopmark" on the holder. Adding the details just clutters up the label. I liked the Gen - No Details option.

Can I still request this? Anyone know? I tried customer service email but no response.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding chop mark coins, I think the bigger question is how to convince PCGS to grade coins other than US trade dollars :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep trying customer service.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like we need our host to respond. My guess is the lack of description was causing confusion with respect to whether or not there is a problem with the coin. Genuine without a details description could be improperly interpreted as the submitter only wanted authenticity specified without a numeric grade.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try calling customer service...might be faster than email.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least there is still the option to not holder.

I haven't submitted in a while but at NGC, the NCS form doesn't appear to give the option of conservation only or #2 above from the OP.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity. Can somebody post a picture of a PCGS "Genuine - No Details" holder that you have in your collection? I don't believe that I have ever seen one.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I have avoided Genuine/Details slabbed coins but have noticed there is a market for them at auctions lately and the LCS has a lot of them for sale. Anybody else buy/collect Genuine/Details slabs?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Modwriter said:
    I have avoided Genuine/Details slabbed coins but have noticed there is a market for them at auctions lately and the LCS has a lot of them for sale. Anybody else buy/collect Genuine/Details slabs?

I buy coins not holders although I like my coins in holders. That said if I like the coin I could really care less what it is graded. All those considerations come into price, liquidity and value considerations when purchasing or selling but not my opinion of the actual coin.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2021 6:42AM

Coins in details graded slabs carry a stigma that most collector just can't get past. I avoid them unless the coin is extremely rare and very cheap which seldom happens. Too often details graded coins are priced close to what they would be worth in a straight graded slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:

@CoinHoarder said:
    Just out of curiosity. Can somebody post a picture of a PCGS "Genuine - No Details" holder that you have in your collection? I don't believe that I have ever seen one.

Here you go!

Well played

• Options
    edited August 28, 2021 9:35AM

@PerryHall said:
    Coins in details graded slabs carry a stigma that most collector just can't get past. I avoid them unless the coin is extremely rare and very cheap which seldom happens. Too often details graded coins are priced close to what they would be worth in a straight graded slab.

An exception may be QC coins. QC coins are not as strong as straight graded toned coins but seem to sell very strong compared to straight graded white coins and raw toners.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only seen the Genuine only label on older blue holders.

In my opinion, it left plenty of room for negotiation between the buyer and seller in regards to the condition, and therefore, value of the coin.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

An exception may be QC coins. QC coins are not as strong as straight graded toned coins but seem to sell very strong compared to straight graded white coins and raw toners.

What are QC coins?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2021 9:42AM

@Kccoin said:

In my opinion, it left plenty of room for negotiation between the buyer and seller in regards to the condition, and therefore, value of the coin.

I agree. I also think PCGS may have changed it because a lot of people may have been fooled by that label into thinking the coin was problem free. For example, “Genuine” only could be easily conflated with problem-free no-grades like “Gem Brilliant Uncirculated.”

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

What are QC coins?

PCGS Grade 91: Questionable Color

• Options

@Kccoin said:

There is a 1867 IHC at Great collections that must have the older PCGS Genuine only label. The other coins I am looking at have one of the following AU Details, UNC Details, or XF Details added.

• Options

@Modwriter said:

@Kccoin said:

There is a 1867 IHC at Great collections that must have the older PCGS Genuine only label. The other coins I am looking at have one of the following AU Details, UNC Details, or XF Details added.

A non-collector might think having details is better than having no details!

• Options

There is a 1854-O Seated Liberty Half labeled Cleaned XF Details at auction. Great eye appeal. FMV is $168 at XF40. It will be interesting to follow the bidding. Highest graded MS68 value is $72,150.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Willis convinced me to cross a T. Reid $5 several years ago into a PCGS genuine holder as NGC spelled out the details and PCGS didn't. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture currently ......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ran into that too and e-mailed with customer service. It's simply no longer an option.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file