Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Best way/place to sell a lot of cards

Newbie here so please forgive me if this has already been asked. I am in the process of cataloging a large collection of cards - I’m guessing over 3,000. I would love to sell the whole thing all together. Is that normal or will I need to sell by brand, year, etc? Where is the best place to sell?

Comments

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

First thing would be to give an idea of what kind of cards you have (new/vintage/hof/rookie/sport etc. Some cards are worth selling individually and perhaps even consigning if they are valuable. If mainly commonalities that are not vintage, then listing in lots is probably the best bet for the effort.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sport, year, brand and condition please.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post pictures. It's hard to say where to sell without knowing what you have. If it's decent stuff, could probably sell most of it here or other similar forums.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

I’ll try and get some pictures posted. Looks like it’s all 1980 and later. All ungraded with most of them in great condition. If I post an excel spreadsheet will that be good enough or will people want to see the cards? Not going to take pics of all 3,000+ cards.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2020 6:30PM

@artistdsm2004 said:
    I’ll try and get some pictures posted. Looks like it’s all 1980 and later. All ungraded with most of them in great condition. If I post an excel spreadsheet will that be good enough or will people want to see the cards? Not going to take pics of all 3,000+ cards.

I would post quality pictures (or better still, scans) of the ‘highlights’...

The rookie cards of big stars and HOF (for baseball, Griffey, Jeter, Bonds, Mattingly, Ripken, Clemens, Gwynn, Boggs, Strawberry, etc)

Any unopened boxes/packs

Any autographs

Any numbered inserts

Also remember that the grades you assign are not going to be treated like PSA assigned grades (and the prices they get).

A brief specific description of the run (ex. - all complete topps sets 1980-1996) with some group shots and a few close ups of key cards will probably draw some PMs.

Based on the timeline, I would stress that the cards need great centering and corners and don’t expect much for command or minor stars.

Good luck

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Thanks everybody for the tips!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I guess I need to start giving my cards a grade. For example, what kind of grade would this card get. To me it looks to be in great condition with just a little wear on the corners.

• Options
    edited June 21, 2020 5:49AM

@artistdsm2004 said:
    I guess I need to start giving my cards a grade. For example, what kind of grade would this card get. To me it looks to be in great condition with just a little wear on the corners.

While it’s never easy to grade over a screen, I’d probably call that low to mid grade. The edges seemingly show a lot of white, the corners are nice but not close to mint and it is off center left to right.witha small stain on left edge.

My guess is that is a VG 3 or a maybe VG/EX 4.

Just being honest

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Thanks for the feedback! I noticed the white in the scan but when I hold it in my hand I don't see the white. Might need to play with my scanner settings a bit.

• Options

@artistdsm2004 said:
    Thanks for the feedback! I noticed the white in the scan but when I hold it in my hand I don't see the white. Might need to play with my scanner settings a bit.

I wouldn’t. I would scan a bunch of additional cards before I’d mess with the settings.

I’d also buy the cheapest PSA gem mint 10 card from the set I want to grade a card from so I know what one looks like.

You also selected a ‘full bleed’ card which is notoriously tough on edges. See 1971 Topps.

Good luck and post more scans!