Home Sports Talk
Options

Greedy baseball contracts

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

Greedy people like Mookie Betts who turned down a $300 million dollar contract with the Red Sox are getting exactly what they deserve but I imagine they can survive on last years contract of a measly $20 million.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, the cost of living is expensive these days. I spent $250,000 on breakfast at McDonald's this morning. These players are absolutely greedy.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope MLB doesn’t play at all this season and none of these guys get paid. Hopefully the Owners suffer more

• Options

Yes, Mike Trout is greedy. He probably uses $100 bills as kleenex!!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes Mookie greedy for turning down that contract? Maybe he just didn't want to play in Boston anymore?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    What makes Mookie greedy for turning down that contract? Maybe he just didn't want to play in Boston anymore?

i think he wanted out also.

Corona blew things up for him who knows what will happen now

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:

It's not unreasonable to think he might prefer to play somewhere else. Boston isn't always the friendliest of places if you're black - just ask Torii Hunter - and it's possible that was a factor.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

Major League baseball is a joke anyway. Any league that allows rampant cheating, then doesn't bother to ban the cheaters and strip them of there title is shameful. It would be best if the whole league just folded. A new league could be started without cheaters and much lower tickets prices.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:

It's not unreasonable to think he might prefer to play somewhere else. Boston isn't always the friendliest of places if you're black - just ask Torii Hunter - and it's possible that was a factor.

oh pl;ease :D

he wanted to win maybe , the red sox are not doing that for 5 years or so at least they have a whole mess of insane contracts for over rated players and no farm system. Its a good time to go

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:

i would say boston fans have treated David Ortiz and pedro just fine.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:

Well, given that the Red Sox themselves admitted that fans mistreated Hunter and others...

• Options

oh gee this thread turned into a woke-off how exciting :D

• Options

Exactly, don’t listen to nonsense

• Options

@mrvgex said:
    Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart was expecting a simple drive home after a game during the 2016-17 season when he encountered a vocal Celtics fan he will never forget. The woman was with a little boy in the middle of the crosswalk outside of TD Garden when the light turned green for oncoming traffic. Smart honked his horn to warn her.
    “I yell out the window,” Smart recalled. “ ‘Excuse me, ma’am, you better get out of the street before you and your son get hit. Cars are coming. I don’t want you to get hit.’

“As soon as I said that, she looked at me – as she is wearing a No. 4, green with the white outline Celtics jersey – and told me, ‘F— you, you f—ing n—–.’ People that actually heard her were stunned. They’re like, ‘That’s Marcus Smart. You just got done watching the game, ma’am … with an Isaiah Thomas jersey on.’ ”

And we can recite thousands of good stories too. So please just stop and go join a political forum for your agenda

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the players are the greedy ones this season. People think that the "rich owners" can afford to throw away 100s of millions of dollars to get the season going. Do the math. the money is not there to play the season and pay these guys all of their money.

Let's assume the last season's gate receipts are at a factor of 1. If you play a 72 game schedule, that comes our to 44% of last year's ticket sales. THEN you have to figure in social distancing. In order to get 6 feet distance beween each fan, you need to leave 2 seats empty on either side of them. Yes, there will be couples and some families that can sit together, but if the social distancing is observed, you are down 20% of the stadium in use. 44% times .20% = about 9%

Even if you get the number up to 15% with more seats taken by family groups, That is a huge drop in revenue.

It's hard to say how much the TV revenues will fill the gap. Once more only 44% of the games will be played.

Even a rich man can become bankrupt when the money is flowing out like water.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@mrvgex said:
    No agenda, just providing counterpoints to assertions that Boston isn’t hostile to African Americans. If you want to post “feel good” stories, be my guest.

I don’t need to. Just because you got two guys who were spoiled crybabies that were not that good doesn’t mean a thing.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I think that the players are the greedy ones this season. People think that the "rich owners" can afford to throw away 100s of millions of dollars to get the season going. Do the math. the money is not there to play the season and pay these guys all of their money.

Let's assume the last season's gate receipts are at a factor of 1. If you play a 72 game schedule, that comes our to 44% of last year's ticket sales. THEN you have to figure in social distancing. In order to get 6 feet distance beween each fan, you need to leave 2 seats empty on either side of them. Yes, there will be couples and some families that can sit together, but if the social distancing is observed, you are down 20% of the stadium in use. 44% times .20% = about 9%

Even if you get the number up to 15% with more seats taken by family groups, That is a huge drop in revenue.

It's hard to say how much the TV revenues will fill the gap. Once more only 44% of the games will be played.

A total bunch of crap. These owners rake it in, year after year; their franchise values continue to geometrically escalate. Don't tell me one sub-par year is going to bankrupt them. Just like any business owner, there are good years and lean years; that's mainly the way it is in any business. My issue is that they can't take all the surplus income in prior years and then try to push some of the losses onto the players (employees) backs in a bad year. If you haven't provided for an emergency situation, then you are a poor businessman. You can always sell them team, pocket the hundreds of millions you made in value appreciation and go on with your life without missing a beat. Most people don't have that option.

• Options

baseball is still boring so lets end it.

That is not all the players fault , the owners seem to like 5 hour games too.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2020 12:59PM

There is a lot of standing around in baseball games. They should allow a poker table in the outfield, so the outfielders can play poker while they're waiting for a ball to be hit to them, or put some board games out there for them, like Monopoly or Candyland.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    baseball is still boring so lets end it.

That is not all the players fault , the owners seem to like 5 hour games too.

Yea because that means more $20 stale keg cups of beer and 5 cent Welfare Hot Dogs for $8 to sell to the hungry bored masses

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    There is a lot of standing around in baseball games. They should allow a poker table in the outfield, so the outfielders can play poker while they're waiting for a ball to be hit to them, or put some board games out there for them, like Monopoly or Candyland.

A slot machine wouldn’t be a bad idea either Double D! 💰

• Options
    edited June 18, 2020 3:47PM

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

A slot machine wouldn’t be a bad idea either Double D! 💰

😂😂😂 Set up a little stage and a stripper pole in the outfield, bring in a stripper, and serve drinks.

• Options

The Red Sox lost their best pitcher to Tommy John surgery this year and their best hitter also. Good things happen some times.

• Options

@mrvgex said:
    Yeah, Boston fans love funny talking black players from Latin America, and you can add Luis Tiant to the list. Proud African Americans who want to be treated with respect and dignity, like Bill Russell? Not so much.

"funny talking black players from latin america"

just wow

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@BillJones said:

A total bunch of crap. These owners rake it in, year after year; their franchise values continue to geometrically escalate. Don't tell me one sub-par year is going to bankrupt them. Just like any business owner, there are good years and lean years; that's mainly the way it is in any business. My issue is that they can't take all the surplus income in prior years and then try to push some of the losses onto the players (employees) backs in a bad year. If you haven't provided for an emergency situation, then you are a poor businessman. You can always sell them team, pocket the hundreds of millions you made in value appreciation and go on with your life without missing a beat. Most people don't have that option.

Spoken as a union person who does not understand how the world works. These are not not hourly guys who making $30 to $50 grand a year. They are making millions, their salaries have a huge effect on their employers’ bottom line.

We shall agree to disagree.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local Sports talk radio station had their Baseball analyst on today.

He said the players are ready to play, but the owners want a much shorter regular season (50 games was mentioned) so they could maximize profits with more playoff games.

The owners are the bigger culprits here imo.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

“It isn't about the money” = the biggest lie an Athlete can ever say

• Options

I think the real take away here is that the sport of baseball is dying a slow death. I'd like to see the average age of a baseball fan charted over the years. young people don't care about baseball watch it play it bet on it buy tickets etc.

In a city with a solid baseball tradition they can sell tickets but old fans are dying faster than new ones are being made.

Its too slow paced the games are too long the season is endless . Todays fan does not want to fall asleep while watching.

I like baseball ,if its a good game but I am not going to watch 162 friggin games , I am not paying for luxury seats , I'm not buying a tv package . I will just watch here and there at random , if its a good game I'll linger but if its a snoozer I'm out.

If I watch 5 full non playoff games a season its a miracle.

The entitled owners and entitled players are killing it dead

When I was a kid I could literally go in person to 40 red sox games . Get off the T walk up buy a ticket and enjoy a game.

In person sitting at a game on a sunny afternoon is how baseball fans were made for generations.

Nobody becomes a fan streaming 10 minutes of highlights on an iphone.

All you people defending this garbage are old farts . You needed to raise at least 2 baseball fans of your own to keep this sport alive when you are dead , did you do that?

• Options

@bronco2078 TMI Bro

• Options

@BillJones said:

Spoken as a union person who does not understand how the world works. These are not not hourly guys who making $30 to $50 grand a year. They are making millions, their salaries have a huge effect on their employers’ bottom line.

Doesn't understand how the world works? In the real world, sometimes businesses have economic downturns. And those businesses, if they've raked in billions of dollars in profit over the last few years as baseball has, should prepare for those economic downturns. ESPECIALLY when they just signed an agreement in March, DURING THE DOWNTURN, to continue to pay their people at a 100% pro-rated rate. Not to mention, you know, just signing a new TV contract with Turner that will provide hundreds of millions of dollars of extra revenue in the near future.

If the owners aren't willing to distribute their extra profits and gigantic gains in franchise value with their players, it is unreasonable and unfair to expect the players to bear the brunt of the losses as well.

• Options

I have noticed that there is a lot of (SSC) in baseball games.

(SSC)= Scratching, spitting, and chewing.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @bronco2078 TMI Bro

do you remember just jumping on the streetcar and buying a seat in the bleachers for $4 ? We are light years away from that and there is no way to go back

There really is just no way to do that now. 10 year old me can't leave the house and ride the subway alone today , my parents would be arrested for allowing me that much freedom, and the ticket would be $30 (face value but not available at the door so I would need to use apple pay to buy it from ticketmaster or some foolishness)

It was cool to be free of the whole city at that age , hopping the turnstile or just being waved thru . Bringing a can of mountain dew and a sandwich in to fenway ! ( trigger a metal detector now and the bomb squad would arrive :# )

There will be no baseball this year but we will probably get a press conference where they announce ticket prices are going up 17%

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020 10:16AM

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:
    @bronco2078 TMI Bro

do you remember just jumping on the streetcar and buying a seat in the bleachers for $4 ? We are light years away from that and there is no way to go back

There really is just no way to do that now. 10 year old me can't leave the house and ride the subway alone today , my parents would be arrested for allowing me that much freedom, and the ticket would be $30 (face value but not available at the door so I would need to use apple pay to buy it from ticketmaster or some foolishness)

It was cool to be free of the whole city at that age , hopping the turnstile or just being waved thru . Bringing a can of mountain dew and a sandwich in to fenway ! ( trigger a metal detector now and the bomb squad would arrive :# )

There will be no baseball this year but we will probably get a press conference where they announce ticket prices are going up 17%

I need to look but I think I have a Bleacher Stub from Fenway and it’s $3, I will dig it out when I can. Speaking of the good old days I remember riding my Redline BMX- no helmet mind you-, with a bag filled with 30+ newspapers in it flying around making a few bucks at 11 years old. The best part? It was OK!

• Options

@BillJones said:

BTW. I'm a business owner; don't tell me I don't know how the world works. When I had to shut down for the pandemic, I didn't cut people's pay for the one's I retained. As a responsible owner, we had reserves set aside (normally we do anyway) but could never have expected something like this. Either way, never call me a union person!

• Options

@Tabe said:

@BillJones said:

Doesn't understand how the world works? In the real world, sometimes businesses have economic downturns. And those businesses, if they've raked in billions of dollars in profit over the last few years as baseball has, should prepare for those economic downturns. ESPECIALLY when they just signed an agreement in March, DURING THE DOWNTURN, to continue to pay their people at a 100% pro-rated rate. Not to mention, you know, just signing a new TV contract with Turner that will provide hundreds of millions of dollars of extra revenue in the near future.

If the owners aren't willing to distribute their extra profits and gigantic gains in franchise value with their players, it is unreasonable and unfair to expect the players to bear the brunt of the losses as well.

AHHHH. Someone who understands the workings of business. Thank you for echoing my sentiments.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020 10:59AM

Either way, never call me a union person!

You talk like one. You make it sound like the players are 100% right and that the owners are just a bunch of greedy capitalists. When you have greedy guys like this pitcher on the Tampa Rays who is demanding that he get 100% of his $35 million salary for playing less than half the season, I can have no sympathy for him.

Congratulations on having enough money in the bank to continue to pay your employees during the shut-down. I did notice that you had the caveat “for the ones I retained.”

The baseball owners have been able to send the minor leaguers out to pasture, but I’ve heard that the major league rosters were to increase 30 players, not get smaller. They have to retain everybody and then some.

Everyone has to give up something to get by while this situation continues. I have a feeling that it’s going to be here for a long time. If the baseball players are to have a career, they are going to have to adjust. If they can’t then they can try working “real jobs” at “real salaries.”

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020 11:01AM

I need to look but I think I have a Bleacher Stub from Fenway and it’s $3, I will dig it out when I can. Speaking of the good old days I remember riding my Redline BMX- no helmet mind you-, with a bag filled with 30+ newspapers in it flying around making a few bucks at 11 years old. The best part? It was OK!

In the "real old days," when I was kid, they used to advertise bleacher seats in right field at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia at 75 cents.

They also gave out "knot hole tickers" (tickets with holes in them) to youth groups. Every year there was the "bishops baseball game" were acolytes got a bus ride to Connie Mack to see the Phillies play. They were good seats too.

The closest I ever came to getting a game ball was at one of those games. Richie Ashburn, who was playing with the Cubs at the time, hit a foul ball landed two rows in front of me. The ball hit off the back of the seat where a kid my church was sitting. He grabbed it on the rebound and had souvenir.

Of course the Phillies were terrible in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, but at least it was major league baseball.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020 11:00AM

Nice post @BillJones

• Options

I remember bleacher seats at Fenway park for $1.00

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if they still do it, but up until a few years ago at least the Diamondbacks ballpark had 300-400 reserved for gameday purchase at the stadium for $1. They were way up in the outfield corners upper deck, but for a buck, who cares?

• Options

@mrvgex said:

Light years is not a measurement of time, but of distance.

sheldon cooper i presume?

• Options

@BillJones said:

Everyone has to give up something to get by while this situation continues. I have a feeling that it’s going to be here for a long time. If the baseball players are to have a career, they are going to have to adjust. If they can’t then they can try working “real jobs” at “real salaries.”

Well, the players DID give up something to get by. They agreed to give up more than half of their salaries - WHICH THE OWNERS AGREED TO - while also conceding to live and work in less than their usual conditions. Note that the owners weren't volunteering to sequester themselves with no family for 3-4 months. But that wasn't enough for the owners. They wanted to cut player salaries by 75-90%.

If paying people what you've already agreed to pay them, while simultaneously getting a heft TV contract raise, is too much for the owners, maybe they should sell their teams and go work "real jobs".

• Options

hold on , why would they have any expectation of getting any salary if no games are played ?

Lock the bums out forever

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    hold on , why would they have any expectation of getting any salary if no games are played ?

Who said they're expecting salary if no games are played?

• Options
    edited June 20, 2020 5:06AM

I thought the 50% haircut was due to 50% or less of the games being played? What are we talking about here?

If there are no games at all though then you get paid nothing .

And if there are no fans in the stands then no ticket sales , no $10 hot dogs etc.

You are talking about TV money as if there would be any TV money if they dont play any games.

I'm not paying anyone that doesn't do anything , if I'm a tv network I don't pay mlb if there are no games to broadcast.

• Options

And while we are at it stop playing the National Anthem at games as it is just not respected any more by these pompous a$$ players who don't appreciate what this country has given them.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    And while we are at it stop playing the National Anthem at games as it is just not respected any more by these pompous a$$ players who don't appreciate what this country has given them.

agreed , the national anthem is generally viewed as patriotic and sports is in no way related to patriotism .
    By playing the anthem the owners were pandering in the first place , attaching themselves to actual patriots or veterans to elevate their product but now, the kneeler types will be pandering on top of pandering.

Football is not comparable to serving your country , football is a game , it makes no more sense to show anthems at football games than it does to show the anthem before seeing star wars .

I'd like to see a red zone type service where whole games were shown with all the non play cut out . Not just highlights every minute of game clock time no pre game no post game no analysts or brain dead former jocks blathering and no commercials. Just game , show a 1 hour football game in 1 hour.

Of course a baseball game would still take 10 hours :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

agreed , the national anthem is generally viewed as patriotic and sports is in no way related to patriotism .
    By playing the anthem the owners were pandering in the first place , attaching themselves to actual patriots or veterans to elevate their product but now, the kneeler types will be pandering on top of pandering.

Football is not comparable to serving your country , football is a game , it makes no more sense to show anthems at football games than it does to show the anthem before seeing star wars .

I'd like to see a red zone type service where whole games were shown with all the non play cut out . Not just highlights every minute of game clock time no pre game no post game no analysts or brain dead former jocks blathering and no commercials. Just game , show a 1 hour football game in 1 hour.

You couldn't have said it any better about the anthem.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

even a broken clock is right twice a day ! Well twice might be pushing it for me but seriously , the only sport it ever felt normal was hockey and that mainly because there were so damn many canadians .

What about flyovers? Taxpayers pay a billion dollars for the latest fighter planes and all they do is overfly nascar races and football games burning 50,000 dollar of fuel a minute ( global warming amIright? )

Don't need an F-35 stealth fighter to shoot some dude off the back of a donkey do you? Hey lets give the rednecks a reason to pay taxes

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

even a broken clock is right twice a day ! Well twice might be pushing it for me but seriously , the only sport it ever felt normal was hockey and that mainly because there were so damn many canadians .

What about flyovers? Taxpayers pay a billion dollars for the latest fighter planes and all they do is overfly nascar races and football games burning 50,000 dollar of fuel a minute ( global warming amIright? )

Don't need an F-35 stealth fighter to shoot some dude off the back of a donkey do you? Hey lets give the rednecks a reason to pay taxes

Man, you are on a roll! Couldn't agree more. We had 2 days of flyover s here locally back in April. Total waste. And I had no idea it was that much a minute. Good grief. We have cool planes, I get it. I don't need to see them flying over my house. I am sure there are better uses for that money.

• Options

Since he got mentioned in this thread, I'll update by saying it looks like Mookie got his big contract - 12 years, $365m, added onto the 1-year, $27m left on his current deal.