Home Sports Talk
Options

If Michael Jordan did not return to basketball, and stayed with a baseball career.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would his legacy been affected? Still be labeled the GOAT? Would he have developed into a credible MLB career?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he had retired from basketball for good in 1993, I wouldn't label him the goat. In my book, championships mean a lot, and three wouldn't be enough for me to comfortably call him the goat. As far as baseball is concerned, I guess it's possible he night have improved his skill, because he was a hard worker and highly competitive, but who knows?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020 10:04PM

@doubledragon said:
    If he had retired from basketball for good in 1993, I wouldn't label him the goat. In my book, championships mean a lot, and three wouldn't be enough for me to comfortably call him the goat. As far as baseball is concerned, I guess it's possible he night have improved his skill, because he was a hard worker and highly competitive, but who knows?

Question: If he in fact he did not return to basketball for those other "ships", who do you think would of been labeled as the GOAT?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@doubledragon said:

Question: If he in fact did not return to basketball for those other "ships" who do you think would of been labeled as the GOAT?

It's hard to say. Some people would probably still pick Jordan, but to me, that second three peat is a big factor in his resume for GOAT. I'm sure this debate will catch fire in the coming days, and we'll have a good ol'fashioned heated discussion coming. ;)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some forget that Jordan barely batted .200 in double A ball.

Michael Jordan was not destined to play MLB unless it was for a publicity stunt.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

..... He likely wins three WS championships ....

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

With just 9 years in the NBA, he wouldn't even be in the conversation. LeBron with his 17 seasons as an elite player would be an easy #1.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

he would have gone on to cure cancer ?

D: none of the above

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://theundefeated.com/features/kareem-abdul-jabbar-is-the-best-basketball-player-ever/

Worth the read. I don’t expect to change anybody’s mind. But there seems to be a lot of people who saw Kareem’s last 2-3 Seasons and think that is who he was. Which was still pretty spectacular but does a complete injustice to who he was at UCLA and in Milwaukee. The guy was a dominant force in every aspect of basketball - scoring, rebounding, shot blocking, passing - you name it, he excelled at it.

SIX MVP’s?!?!?!?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest