Home U.S. Coin Forum

$200k in pre-Civil War Gold.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I just watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly......................again. It always strikes me as odd whenever there's a movie with a stated dollar amount in Gold or whatever coinage and it get's thrown around easily. In this case, Eli Wallach at least strains a little bit as he pulls the eight bags of Gold coins out of the grave, two at a time. That's a little more than 200 lbs. if my math is right. Then he cuts a bag open and the coins look like Silver. But, I digress, it's interesting to watch movies and see coins and this is one of the best westerns, so it's entertaining.

Can you imagine $200,000 in pre-Civil War Southern Gold?? The guys who are more in touch with that part of the Hobby can surely posit what may have been in that stash. I will add that as I watched it I was going through some boxes of stuff I hadn't looked at since last autumn. Pre-submission screening was my weekend task and it was accomplished with the help of Clint Eastwood and company.

I'll probably dream about Southern Gold tonight., should be fun and I hope it's in color!! B)

Al H.

Picture courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts.

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, the 3-way gunfight and the final Blondie! scene are very fun,
    but my favorite is when they blow up the bridge and the local commander who lost so many men
    trying to take it could finally rest...

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even think I can dream that big..

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets....Al, that is my favorite movie... Have watched it a few times - an honor I give very few movies. (The Magnificent Seven being one other). I would like to 'discover' even four or five southern gold coins...(I am not a greedy guy)... I have searched for treasure in many ways since I was a kid....never made a big find, but I keep looking. Cheers, RickO

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 8:18AM

Eli Wallach running through the cemetery looking for Arch Stanton is my favorite scene......
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHEu7HusG4

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eli Wallach was a great actor. he never made the marquis as top bill, but most of the movies he was in a pretty robust and he plays no small part in them. he had a great face and a fantastic voice. B)

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a great movie. Its interesting the movie shows where Blondies poncho came from that he wears in fistful of dollars and for a few dollars more.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was doing volunteer work after Hurricane Katrina in Ocean Springs, MS, one of the workers from S. Carolina mentioned a hoard of coins he had from when Sherman and the Union troops were invading the south that his grandparent had hid in the hollow of a hickory tree. He was looking for someone to appraise it he said, and the local dealer just told him to leave it and come back later when he had a chance to go through it.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 6:42PM

@keets said:
    Eli Wallach was a great actor. he never made the marquis as top bill, but most of the movies he was in a pretty robust and he plays no small part in them. he had a great face and a fantastic voice. B)

He was incredible. Over 90 films, and still made his last two at age 92 !
    There was a scene in "Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps" where he was on the Fed board or something and he talks of a coming economic crisis. The talk goes around the boardroom, and gets to him. He goes on about this coming crisis and then lets out this little whistle, along with a twirling finger....It was hilarious. In a later interview he related how this was an ad-lib thing. He was 92 at the time.
    His character, Tuco in GBU, has to be my favorite character ever. Every nuance, gesture.....the man was a consummate professional......besides having a love for pre civil war gold....... :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file