Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Amazing 1974-S Aluminum Cent!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2021 11:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm fascinated by 1974 aluminum cents and it now seems the San Francisco Mint wanted to get in on the 1974 aluminum cent action too!

This has the Mike @Byers provenance and is a Mint Error News covercoin.

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve not heard of that one. I wonder if/when the mint will decide to be the devil and confiscate all the aluminum cents?

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder when how soon before this starts making the "strike it rich from pocket change" YouTube rounds. I guess we'll know when the "is this an aluminum cent" questions start popping up. :s

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

More likely that the counterfeit factory will start cranking up copies.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice ghosting on the reverse.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's different!!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a coin, in a class by itself indeed! Love it. <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still like to read about this type of coin

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

Also, it is a little misleading to call this an “aluminum cent” as this should not be considered in the same class as the experimental aluminum cents of the other mints, to which that term lends itself. No doubt, it is made out of aluminum, but struck on foreign aluminum planchet is more appropriate.

Agree. The dealer's description is a bit of hype.

Since there were "aluminum cents" that were purposely struck in 1974, the description he uses is a bit misleading, and perhaps intentionally so. This is a wrong/foreign planchet error.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting error.... There are some fakes out there... but some authentic ones too....Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    Cool error. Why not note on the slab that it is a uniface strike? I’ve seen more characters used on the label than that.

Agree it would be nice to say uniface on the slab.

Also, it is a little misleading to call this an “aluminum cent” as this should not be considered in the same class as the experimental aluminum cents of the other mints, to which that term lends itself. No doubt, it is made out of aluminum, but struck on foreign aluminum planchet is more appropriate.

1974 and aluminum is interesting because I don't think any of the Mints are in the same class with each other.

It seems like:

• the Philadelphia coins were official
    • the Denver coins were done unofficially, but how did they get the planchets?
    • the San Francisco coins were done unofficially using existing foreign planchets.

Mint Error News calls it the "Unique 1974-S Aluminum Cent" which PCGS calls it "On Philippines 1S Planchet".

I think it's certainly a more interesting coin to think about what Mint employees were thinking about and doing with aluminum cents in 1974 especially since both the Denver and San Francisco pieces seem unofficial, though different.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being struck on an undersized planchet seems to negate the comparison to the trial pieces.

• ByersByers Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1971 Cent that was certified by NGC AU 58 says Aluminum on the tag. It also was struck on an aluminum foreign planchet.

Mike Byers

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might I suggest adding the weight as well?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Mint News Magazine is guilty of publishing FAKENEWS
    I own a 1974 s Aluminum Cent
    graded PR 67 by PCGS that came out of the mint in a 1974 Proof Set

PCGS and NGC do not provide population reports for mint error coins.

Once a valid PCGS serial number is provided and verified, Mint Error News Magazine will make the appropriate correction.

Mike Byers

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
    edited June 13, 2020 9:08AM

@RedCopper said:

That would be awesome to see!

Can you post it here? Is there a TrueView?

Would be awesome to see a PDS set!

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. I wouldn't mind owning that. B)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

@RedCopper said:

Fred? Can you verify this?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited June 13, 2020 10:21AM

@RedCopper said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Fred? Can you verify this?

Callling @FredWeinberg !

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    PCGS and NGC do not provide population reports for mint error coins.

Once a valid PCGS serial number is provided and verified, Mint Error News Magazine will make the appropriate correction.

Mike Byers

Just a friendly suggestion that you may wish to review the "PCGS Forum Rules and Guidelines" with regard to your signature line(s). Cheers.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish RC would post a photo of his coin in the PCGS holder – it’s possible it struck on a foreign aluminum
    Planchet, and labeled as such.I don’t recall hearing of one discovered in a Proof set,but It’s possible – easiest way to clarify the last few posts would be to see a photo of the coin in the holder to see how it’s labeled so we know what we’re talking about

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

@RedCopper said:

It would fantastic to see evidence of such an error. If it does exist you have done a fantastic job of keeping it a secret.

Now, that is entirely your prerogative, but if is a secret how can anyone be blamed for not knowing it?

Fred - Yes the coin was struck on a
    Nepal 2 paisa planchet. It is at least
    99% the same size as a Lincoln Cent.
    It is really cool .It is Also a cameo . In 1974 the US mint
    Was producing coins for Nepal.
    If it wasn’t struck on a foreign
    Planchet it would be illegal to own.
    That was why the 1974 D cent was confiscated. It was struck on stolen aluminum within the mint.

@RedCopper said:
    Fred - Yes the coin was struck on a
    Nepal 2 paisa planchet. It is at least
    99% the same size as a Lincoln Cent.
    It is really cool .It is Also a cameo . In 1974 the US mint
    Was producing coins for Nepal.
    If it wasn’t struck on a foreign
    Planchet it would be illegal to own.
    That was why the 1974 D cent was confiscated. It was struck on stolen aluminum within the mint.

Agreed.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2020 4:25PM

@RedCopper

Can't you post a photo?
    (They're said to be worth a thousand words.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Sorry but the coin is locked up
    and I am away on vacation.
    I plan to exhibit it with some of my other Lincoln Cents at the next large national coin Show. Perhaps FUN

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@RedCopper said:
    Sorry but the coin is locked up
    and I am away on vacation.
    I plan to exhibit it with some of my other Lincoln Cents at the next large national coin Show. Perhaps FUN

Quite the optimist. Good luck and take care.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

edited June 16, 2020 11:06PM

I wonder how many different planchets 1974 cents come on?

I don't have an aluminum cent yet, but I do have a 1974 clad cent :)

Wasn't there a legit aluminum cent that was "legalized" and is also legal to own? The one the Congressman gave the janitor?

@JBK said:
    Wasn't there a legit aluminum cent that was "legalized" and is also legal to own? The one the Congressman gave the janitor?

I believe you are correct!

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone give the weight of the coin.
    Thanks.

edited June 20, 2020 3:04PM

@JBK said:

The Toven specimen is a tricky one for me because it was given to him by mistake.

Using prior case law of the mistake of selling the moon dust bag and the export license mistake of the 1933 double eagle Farouk specimen, it seems like the government official mistake of giving the specimen to Toven would be a legit release.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised, if the Mint tried to take action if they tried to sell and profit from the coin given their stance on unjustified enrichment. I'd imagine passing it down to heirs or donating it would be fine, e.g. to the Smithsonian, ANS, ANA. It's just that enrichment / profit may trigger action, even if it's ultimately unsuccessful.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the Philly version.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
    edited July 17, 2020 6:54PM

@Byers said:
    I was in Fred's office. We did some business and he was kind enough to write a submission form to add "Aluminum - Uniface Reverse" on the PCGS insert. I just picked up the coin at the PCGS show in Vegas. They put on a wonderful show.

Good call! I'd love to visit Fred's office some time!

Now we need a “W.”

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2020 7:07PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Plausible as an artificially struck "error," like so many other artificially struck San Francisco "errors" of that time period.

That's what I'm thinking. Somewhere, there's a 74-S indent (although dateless) that was struck through this planchet. The intent may have been for them to bond after being struck, but they didn't.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool read............

Mike Byers Mint Error News – Unique 1977 Lincoln Cent on Aluminum Planchet

This Unique 1977 Aluminum Cent is either an intentionally made Mint Error on a leftover
    aluminum planchet from 1974-1975 or a pattern struck in aluminum

This unique 1977 Aluminum Cent, struck on an aluminum planchet with a weight of 1.04 grams, was discovered and certified by NGC.

There are several possibilities as to how this unique Lincoln Cent was produced. It could have been an intentionally made mint error. It could have been struck on a leftover aluminum blank from 1974-75 when the United States Mint in Philadelphia struck Aluminum Cents. Or it could be a unique and unrecorded pattern struck in aluminum. Regardless of the circumstances, this is a unique and enigmatic Lincoln Cent.

There are no authorized U.S. coins struck in aluminum for circulation. In 1977, Lincoln Cents were composed of 95% copper and 5% zinc. Since 1982, they have been composed of 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper.

Continues in article link.......

https://coinweek.com/coins/error-coins/mike-byers-mint-error-news-unique-1977-lincoln-cent-on-aluminum-planchet/

edited July 22, 2020 7:52AM

Great link and coin! Love the discovery!

Given the following, I would have some concern about owning this:

There are several possibilities as to how this unique Lincoln Cent was produced. It could have been an intentionally made mint error. It could have been struck on a leftover aluminum blank from 1974-75 when the United States Mint in Philadelphia struck Aluminum Cents. Or it could be a unique and unrecorded pattern struck in aluminum.

It may be safer to own since the weight doesn't match the 1974 and 1974-D cents which both weigh 0.93 grams. This weighs 1.04 grams.

This is from PCGS:

Paul Gilkes wrote:
    PCGS's examination of the 1974-D aluminum cent during the authentication process determined it weighs 0.93 gram, the same weight as a 1974 aluminum cent certified by PCGS in 2005

One exception I would take with the article (and this is perhaps marketing), is that I personally don't feel it's greater than the 1974 issue as suggested (given the presented information) since the 1974 issue is an official, non-error, pattern issue.

As spectacular as the 1971 and 1974 aluminum cents are, they do not begin to compare to this unique 1977 aluminum cent struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

Fascinating.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 8:08AM

Since we're talking about something that could be an "on-purpose" or "shenanigan" (i.e., intentional error), I need to ask if there is any sign of a Japanese 1 yen undertype.

edited July 22, 2020 8:09AM

@CaptHenway said:
    Now we need a “W.”

A "W" might be possible. The West Point Mint was striking circulation cents in the 1970s but didn't add their mint mark.

I was referring to the SF 1971 and 1974 in the previous paragraph.

I just clarified it by adding the S mint mark after 1971 and 1974.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file