Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nevada Medals, Tokens and So-Called Dollars

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 14, 2020 11:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's one of my favorite So-Called Dollars, ex-@keets and the So-Called Dollar Mini-Hoard!

I love the colors and pictorial on this.

This is a US Mint medal engraved by Frank Gasparro and struck from Nevada silver (HK-552). The Nevada Silver Centennial was funded by:

modest state grant, private contributions and sale of Centennial "buttons" for $1

Anyone have a button? I'd love to see one :)

Posts any of your Nevada exonumia here!

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

But as an old Nevada goldminer myself, I will go with this one:

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 12:54AM

Wow @Goldminers ! Those are amazing medals. Love the HK-522a nickel Silver Centennial medal. Never seen one before! Are all these holed?

Nice silver medal as well. Love seeing the Hoover dam and rocket on that!

• Options
    Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

A few pieces from the 1915 Panama Pacific Expo.... an award medal by Shreve & Co Jewelers SFO ... and an unusual badge...

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• Options
    edited June 11, 2020 11:27PM

@Pioneer1 said:
    A few pieces from the 1915 Panama Pacific Expo.... an award medal by Shreve & Co Jewelers SFO ... and an unusual badge...

Very nice pieces! Thanks for sharing!

I have one of the engraved PPIE medals as well! The relief on the eagle side is really amazing on these.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2020 11:23PM

Here's a HK-522 in a custom Capital Plastics holder. Unlike the one up to, this one isn't mine, but I am a big fan of custom Capital Plastics holders. It's exciting to think about everyone designing, ordering, and sharing their custom holders.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the nickel version.

I'm surprised to see that in a PCGS holder since it's holed. I submitted an HK-25 that was holed, perhaps the cleanest, best looking example I've seen and owned, yet PCGS rejected it as damaged. that was maybe 4-5 years ago so maybe they revisited that decision and will now encapsulate holed medals.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one of my Nevada 'tokens'... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 7:12AM

@keets said:

I'm surprised to see that in a PCGS holder since it's holed. I submitted an HK-25 that was holed, perhaps the cleanest, best looking example I've seen and owned, yet PCGS rejected it as damaged. that was maybe 4-5 years ago so maybe they revisited that decision and will now encapsulate holed medals.

Good observation!

One really interesting thing is that PCGS has separate coin numbers for holed and unholed specimens.

I asked Jeff Shevlin if he thought holed and unholed So-Called Dollars should have different catalog numbers and he said "no", but PCGS is saying "yes" here.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor typo correction -- the silver version is HK-552 (not 522) and the copper nickel version is HK-552a (not 522a).

All references and indications that I have seen strongly suggest that the copper nickel version was not struck at the U.S. Mint (it is slightly larger). Turner did not include the cn version is his list of National Commemorative Medals.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 12:59PM

@tokenpro said:
    Minor typo correction -- the silver version is HK-552 (not 522) and the copper nickel version is HK-552a (not 522a).

d'oh! Thanks! Fixed :)

All references and indications that I have seen strongly suggest that the copper nickel version was not struck at the U.S. Mint (it is slightly larger). Turner did not include the cn version is his list of National Commemorative Medals.

Very interesting. What is the reasoning given for why they weren't struck at the Mint?

Could Turner not have included it because they weren't officially authorized? Did Turner include any other unauthorized strikes in his reference?

Did the references suggest where it could have been struck? Are the dies the same? Did the dies ever show up outside the Mint?

• Options

• Options

@Pioneer1 said:

This is neat. Did they do them for different states? Also, do we know the types of people that wore these? Were these for the general public to wear?

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 7:31PM

Love the "smoky" toning on this one.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Pioneer1 said:

This is neat. Did they do them for different states? Also, do we know the types of people that wore these? Were these for the general public to wear?

Not sure. The pin has tiny raised lettering marking the important Nevada cities at the time. The back of the badge has the maker's mark engraving for the jeweler Frank Golden. Frank Golden (1862-1911) came from Ireland in 1880 and opened a jewelry business in Virginia City (with Chatelain). He also had successful business ventures in Tonopah, Carson City, and Reno (the Golden Hotel). His son, also named Frank, continued the jewelry business (which moved from Virginia City to Carson) after his father died in 1911. Measures about 2.5" x 1.5". I've not run across another. I got this from Fred Holabird.

• Options

I was going through some boxes today and came across the HK-25 I mentioned above. the medal is still in the flip from PCGS with the tag which reads --- Damage/Holed. :)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

hey Weiss, wrong state!!! :D

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@keets said:

The 1959 Nevada medal Turner #1, or the pair of HK-552 and HK-552a, is also listed in John T. Dean's reference as D1959-1a and D1959-1b. The slab does state that it is holed, and references both the HK and Dean numbers on the label since it was a special documented case, that would normally not be graded if holed or pierced.

According to John's documentation: "The silver is size 21 or 33.3mm and weighs 14.4 grams, the nickel alloy version is size 22 or 34.9mm and weighs 12.9 grams. These medals were designed by Frank Gasparro. The silver ones were minted from a Panamint ball of Nevada silver which had been shipped to Philadelphia years earlier. Nevada mining interests to thwart the constant robbery of their silver bars in shipment, hit upon the idea of melting the bars into one big ball which would be too big to steal and transport by would be thieves. This idea worked and hence the use of this large ball of silver for the Centennial celebration."

I have looked at these two carefully and I believe the nickel alloy ones were struck from the US Mint dies engraved by Gasparro. The nickel alloy version has 1/32nd of an inch overall more space between letters and the rim and a more rounded rim edge, than the silver version, accounting for size 22 vs size 21. All the rest is an exact match as far as I can see. Who provided the nickel alloy blanks and did the striking is still a question. The silver medals were to be delivered to the Nevada Silver Centennial Committee.

I like to imagine they picked the 1,000 silver medals up at the ex Carson City Mint (now Nevada State Museum) and had an arrangement to strike the more common nickel ones for the 1959 Virginia City celebration there? The original CC Coin Press #1 is still active striking medallions (2020 is the 150th anniversary of CC Mint), and also might do the 2021 CC dollars?

• Options
    edited April 1, 2023 2:53PM

Great info @Goldminers!

Regarding the dies for 522 and 522a, it would be interesting to do a TrueView image overlay. Looks like who struck the nickel specimens is still a mystery. Tracking down the dies may help.

Here's a photo of the Panamint ball of Nevada silver from the Nevada State Library and Archives.

On the left is Executive Director Richard Ham with US Mint Director Eva Adams.

See more: https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/happy-birthday-nevada-battle-born-state-fought-its-way-to-150/

• Options

@Zoins,
    Great picture of the 400-500+/- pound ball of Nevada silver. Here is a close up of my silver medal on the left, then your colorful silver, and the right is the nickel alloy. At the bottom of the A there is a dot shaped dimple in the base, some other marks highlighted seem similar to me on all three. Also the one on the right is different metal and blank polishing marks, so would strike different some, but looks like the same die to me, or a really good copy. Note the wide rim to account for the larger size of the nickel alloy.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2020 5:16AM

Thanks for the photos @Goldminers .

The Panamint ball is a sight to behold. It was the only photo I could find of it online. Thanks for mentioning it!

The photos of the silver and nickel pieces are interesting, especially since there appears to be more detail in some of the devices on the nickel piece. It looks like the nickel piece was struck first and the silvers were struck after some die polishing removed some die details. Here's an area that I find very curious in this respect:

• Options

Yes, I also felt the nickel had a sharper more detailed look overall especially the wood cabin details were better defined. It does look like my silver was struck with a more worn die. Now I need to hunt down another one.

I liked the post by @Pioneer1 of the 1876 reverse, which these 1959 versions used for a start of their design. The cabin roof slats on the original were all horizontal but the newer ones were crisscrossed. A lot more smoke from the locomotive and cabin in 1876.

• Options

Great eye @Goldminers

Various die states (and different die varieties for that matter) make collecting SCDs a very interesting part of this hobby.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone has Nevada Centennial So called Dollar HK 552 for sale please PM me.. thanks

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2023 3:57AM

@Goldminers said:

Here's the TrueView to go with yours!

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 2:06PM

Here is my new top pop MS66 of the silver one (which was an expensive MS67 at NGC as usual). And my other holed one in MS64 for reference :)

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 8:34PM

@Goldminers said:
    Here is my new top pop MS66 of the silver one (which was an expensive MS67 at NGC as usual). And my other holed one in MS64 for reference :)

Amazing!

So are all of these yours now?

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 8:35PM

@Goldminers said:
    But as an old Nevada goldminer myself, I will go with this one:

Great piece!

I wonder why Frank Gasparro's initials appear on this Hoover Dam die, but doesn't appear on the Nevada Silver Centennial pieces?

• Options
    edited January 19, 2023 8:55PM

I just noticed that there's something in the rays above the highest mountain on this piece but not others.

Any idea what this is?

I wonder if it appears on any other specimens.

• Options

Yes, I have to buy a lot of them to get any to grade or cross the way I want at PCGS. I will have to go find the one with that artifact and see what it really is. It might be a small piece of plastic struck through, as you can see through it. I don't remember seeing it when I sent it in, so it could just be on the TrueView. It is not on my other two either ;) They all have a different look to them.

• Options

And I have to say, after all my hunting to try to get PCGS top pops of these, I still prefer the look of yours @Zoins at the top of the page.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 12:12AM

While not in the same league as the above postings, would have to note that the current day minting on the Original Press Number One at the museum in Carson City should qualify as Nevada tokens.

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    While not in the same league as the above postings, would have no note that the current day minting on the Original Press Number One at the museum in Carson City should qualify as Nevada tokens.

Great images! It's amazing that the press still exists and is used on a somewhat regular basis!

They still mint quite a few medals on CC Coin Press 1.

I tend to think of the pieces as medals instead of tokens as they are not used as a medium for exchange.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@1northcoin said:
    While not in the same league as the above postings, would have no note that the current day minting on the Original Press Number One at the museum in Carson City should qualify as Nevada tokens.

Great images! It's amazing that the press still exists and is used on a somewhat regular basis!

They still mint quite a few medals on CC Coin Press 1.

I tend to think of the pieces as medals instead of tokens as they are not used as a medium for exchange.

Good point.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool medals. I like that US mint HK-552 a lot. Need to keep my eye out for one!

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    And I have to say, after all my hunting to try to get PCGS top pops of these, I still prefer the look of yours @Zoins at the top of the page.

Thanks @Goldminers! That's high praise coming from you given your hunt for top pops! It's really a wonderful piece and I have to thank Al for his wonderful eye and letting me pick this up from him.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2023 8:18PM

I managed to get this one for $125 bid (not incl. 20% buyers premium and shipping) through an estate sale auction this weekend. I'm pleased to have it. Photos from NGC, I'll take some of my own when the coin arrives.

Info: https://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/Nevada_Dollar.html

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@SPalladino said:
    I managed to get this one for $125 bid (not incl. 20% buyers premium and shipping) through an estate sale auction this weekend. I'm pleased to have it. Photos from NGC, I'll take some of my own when the coin arrives.

Info: https://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/Nevada_Dollar.html

Wow! That’s a great price for a special So-Called Dollar! Congrats on the News!

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 12:34PM

Thank you, @Zoins - I could not believe the hammer...I had bid much higher (it had previously sold for 164.50 w buyers premium at HA in 2014). The coin had an unfortunate cleaning by complete idiot, but is nevertheless a welcome part of my collection. The obverse looks to have die doubling in the motto, with small spread doubling in most letters at the beginning and end of the motto, progressing to tripling or quadrupling seen in the S in AS. Also the the top bar of the D on GOD is filled.
    More photos:

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2023 10:55PM

Thanks for posting the larger photos and additional info @SPalladino!

This is one of my favorite So-Called Dollars as it's an 1876 silver piece struck by the US Mint with just 2526 struck.

Of note, So-CalledDollars.com indicates that these were originally sold by $1.25 each with a certificate. Has anyone ever seen a certificate or a receipt for this? The certificate says the following:

Archibald Loudon Snowden wrote:
    Mint of the United States. Philadelphia. Coiner's Department. June 20, 1876. I certify that the Nevada Exposition Medals, prepared in this department, and this day delivered to Mr. C. C. Stevenson, Chairman of the Nevada State Board, are made of pure silver, crushed from Nevada ores, at the Nevada quartz mill located in the Centennial Exposition grounds and subsequently refined at the United States Mint. (Signed) A. Loudon Snowden, Coiner.

Here's some interesting info on Charles Clark Stevenson up to 1876. Read the article for more. Of note, he was the chairman of the 1885 Nevada Silver Convention and the state commissioner representing Nevada at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition. He's best known for being Nevada's 5th governor.

Michael Colbruno wrote:
    Charles Clark Stevenson was born in Ontario County, New York on February 20, 1826. His education was limited and attained in the public schools of Canada and Michigan.

In 1859, he joined a group that was headed west to Pike’s Peak, but decided to continue on to Nevada where he was one of the first to arrive on the Comstock. When he arrived in Ophir (later Virginia City), there was only a tent and a brushwood saloon.

Stevenson found moderate success in the silver mines, and also worked as a farmer and a miller. He also became part-owner of the Cooper and Stevenson quartz mill and later in life struck gold.

He first entered politics as a member of the Nevada State Senate, a position he won election to in 1866, 1868, and 1872. He was a delegate to the 1872 and 1884 Republican National Conventions, and served as chairman of the 1885 Nevada Silver Convention. He also served as a member of the University of Nevada Board of Regents from 1875 to 1887, and was a state commissioner representing Nevada at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition. The early success of the University of Nevada is often credited to Stevenson’s efforts as Governor and as a Regent.

• Options

@Zoins - I love the deeper background, thank you. Unknown, but know known bit of local history for me.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file