Home U.S. Coin Forum

1971-S Prototype Eisenhower Dollar?

I am wanting to know if this could be a prototype Eisenower Dollar? The weight of the coin is 24.11g. The edge reeding on the coin is similar to that of the business strike and different from the proof strike. As for diagnostics, the only thing I can ascertain from the internet are the weight and the edge reeding. Also, the edge reeding is milky white all the way around the coin. I would just like some opinions on what I have (something or nothing?). In the pictures with multiple coins, the coin on the far left is the coin in question. The pictures of the reeding show the two proofs on the left and a Silver Business strike on the right, all 1971-S. In the picture of the reeding of four coins, the fourth is a 1972-S Proof Dollar. Thank you!

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

iirc, the prototype ike, one known perhaps, has matte surfaces.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a proof.

Collector, occasional seller

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2020 7:18PM

The 1971-S coins were struck both proof and business strike. Your coin is a little light (should be 24.6 grams) but I don't think that difference is enough to suggest it is anything but a slightly light weight Ike. The reeding is interesting, however.

Could it be a Proof-like business strike? I'm not familiar enough with the die characteristics to know without doing more research than I care to.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are a couple versions and both have different earths on the reverse. Where did you get yours?

• amnightamnight Posts: 7 ✭✭

@dave, I got my coin at a pawn shop in Southern California.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't a proof I would whole heartedly agree with you as to it being a prototype.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 is correct - your coin is just a common proof. Because it is impaired (mishandled), its value is diminished. Such examples sell for around $6 to $8 on eBay.

You can generally get a nice, undamaged 1971 S proof Ike in its original package for $10 to $15.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    You can generally get a nice, undamaged 1971 S proof Ike in its original package for $10 to $15.

Issue price was $10 forty-nine years ago.

Who says mint products are not good investments. :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amnight.... Welcome aboard.... Great pictures.... I believe you have your answers above. Cheers, RickO

• amnightamnight Posts: 7 ✭✭

Thanks for all the responses!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to the Ike Group forum and post the pictures there just to see what they think

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Go to the Ike Group forum and post the pictures there just to see what they think

The Ike Group is a great resource, but that is not necessary in this case. The answers given regarding the coin being a normal proof Ike are correct.

In this case, the OP has been respectful and accepting of the information provided, and that is very much appreciated. Please do not give him false hope - there is enough of that going around with the "get rich" YouTube videos new posters are often inflamed by.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT

I don't believe that suggesting an opinion from the Ike Group is creating anything other than providing a resource. Should the OP have a greater interest in the series and all the varieties that exist or even further questions of a more technical nature, it is a site to visit and explore.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file