Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should I tell this fella to take a better pic for his auction?

lsicalsica Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭

Out of my price range, but I kind of feel bad for this guy. New seller with a bad pic of what is probably a really nice toned MS 65 DMPL PCGS CC Dollar. Just some more direct light on that reverse would really make the colors pop nicely. I almost want to message him and tell him that. Instead I post it here and let my fellow vultures swoop down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1883-CC-MORGAN-SILVER-1-PCGS-MS-65-DMPL-DEEP-MIRROR-PROOF-LIKE-RAINBOW-REVERSE/392833391767

Philately will get you nowhere....

Comments

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try this post on the BST.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to worry about bad photos on ebay you have your work cut out for you.
    Just be careful to not end up on too many blocked bidder lists.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2020 9:11AM

Judging from the seller's other listed Ebay items, I wouldn't lift a finger for them. Most of their stuff is out of all our price range. And their descriptions are ultra-brief if not non-existent. Let them learn like everyone else.

Their 1888-s rattler Morgan is "likely under-graded." Then why aren't they pursuing it into a 65 holder????

https://ebay.com/itm/1888-S-MORGAN-DOLLAR-PCGS-MS-64-1st-GREEN-HOLDER-LIGHT-GOLDEN-RIM-TONE/392833509201?hash=item5b76b3a751:g:QMoAAOSw20Be4WHh

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not bother.... you could spend all day, every day critiquing ebay pictures. Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried to help out sellers on ebay before on their descriptions...and got blocked from bidding on their stuff. Let him/her learn the hard way.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're not interested in the coin, there's no point in messaging the seller. FWIW, my reading of that photo is that there's a thick band of dark (probably terminal) toning along the rim with a thinner band of color toward the center. I doubt it's a stunner in any way and the seller is probably better off having whoever buys it be pleasantly surprised than disappointed by a glamour shot.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether or not they could take a better photo, my guess is that a nicer photo would reveal that the muted, dark crescent on the reverse seen in the current photo--which could be nice if lit properly--is actually a muted, dark crescent. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" kind of applies to photos sometimes, too.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad for them.

• lsicalsica Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭

Based on his other pics, how muted this one is, and how "clean" the image looks, I'm going to guess he angled the light to reduce the number of visible marks on the coin and sacrificed color and reflectivity. His choice. Anyway would PCGS give a DMPL designation to a coin with dark muted toning? Wouldn't it qualify as a buy back under the guarantee?

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

By eBay standards those photos are not bad.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never mind the toning, which I don't like. To me it looks like the DMPL designation was an undeserved gift when this was graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file