Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I wish I had a Shoe Box like this in my attic

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 10, 2020 12:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The medal, along with other personal items belonging to the president that were offered in the Skinner sale, apparently had been kept in a shoe box in the attic

From 2012 Coin World

Originally presented to President John Quincy Adams while in office, this 1826 gold medal recognizing the completion of the Erie Canal brought $156,000 at auction Oct. 28 in Boston

The 1826 Erie Canal Completion gold medal presented to President John Quincy Adams was kept by his descendants in its original square red leather case with cream-colored satin and blue silk velvet lined interior.
The 18-karat gold 1826 Erie Canal Completion so-called dollar medal presented to President John Quincy Adams by the Common Council of the City of New York sold at public auction Oct. 28 by Skinner Inc. for $156,000.

The 1826 so-called dollar medal celebrates the completion of the Erie Canal, which took more than eight years and $7 million to construct. The canal connects the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.

The price realized includes a 20 percent buyer’s fee.

Massachusetts dealer Stuart Levine acquired the medal in the auction. He told Coin World Oct. 30 he was thrilled with being able to acquire President John Quincy Adams’ presentation piece.

more of this interesting article here if interested
https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/erie-canal-completion-medal-brings-156-000.html

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Family-held for almost 200 years. And then a descendant cashes in. Huh.

Very interesting article, @1630Boston. Thanks for posting.
    Lance.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

At least they took it to Skinners and not a pawn shop [no offense to pawn shops] but you know what I mean

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Lance.

I have a coin that's been in the family 150 years and I'm sending to auction. I understand. None of my relatives care one iota about it (well, maybe they would if they knew the value?).

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@10000lakes said:

@AUandAG said:
    I have a coin that's been in the family 150 years and I'm sending to auction. I understand. None of my relatives care one iota about it (well, maybe they would if they knew the value?).

bob

Don’t leave us hanging, Inquiring minds want to know?

My 1870cc presentation dollar. You can search here for the Rinckel dollar.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I did a cut and paste from your older post. Interesting coin!

@AUandAG said:
    My 1870-CC dollar that was minted and engraved by Abe Curry and given to my Great Grandparents, Matt and Marcella Rinckel. Abe indicated that this was the first dollar struck at the CC Mint. He struck two other pieces (at least), one for the Gov of NV (Blasdale) and one for the President of the US (Grant). My Great Aunt Louise's husband made the bracelet so that Aunt Louise could wear the coin (Matt and Marcella's daughter).
    Opening of the US Mint in Carson resulted in one of the biggest parties ever seen and it was held in the biggest building in town (V & T Railroad turnstyle).
    Although, nationally, it was not such a big deal it sure was locally and eventually to numismatists!
    Here's my dollar as pics taken by me or Todd Pollock:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Family heirlooms seem to eventually hit the auction block... or pawn shop...or antique shop. Sometimes with the history, often without. The medal in the OP sure has historic significance... and to think it was just stored in the attic...I wonder how many more treasures are in just that same circumstance, somewhere, waiting to be discovered. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file