Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beautiful double-struck modern Brasher Doubloon!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 8, 2020 7:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This beautiful double-struck Brasher Doubloon was just sold for $2100 by Dave Wnuck / @DaveWcoins ! Very nice provenance on this :)

I was super tempted but wanted focus funds on my core collections at the moment.

Anyone know how may of these were struck?

Anyone here lucky enough to pick this up?

1787-2014 "1787" Ephraim Brasher "EB" Doubloon NGC. 26.4 grams, .9999 fine gold. Actual gold weight = 0.85 troy oz.These were made privately at the 2014 ANA convention to commemorate the 1787 Doubloon by Ephraim Brasher.

Double struck. I'm not sure how many of the 500 made were double struck; I'm sure not too many.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gold piece... I wonder if the 'double struck' was intentional....just an added anomaly for the short series. Thanks for showing this piece.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 9, 2020 7:36AM

I think it was intentional. I've seen another with the EB punch on the wing. Still, the double struck ones seem rare because this is only the second one I've seen.

Also, these have an interesting mintage history as many more were struck after the ANA.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool piece, I would have picked it up if I had seen it.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2020 7:47AM

@jwitten said:
    Really cool piece, I would have picked it up if I had seen it.

It's a great piece. I estimate it was available for about 30 min. Unfortunately, I had to jump into a meeting and it was sold when I got back.

I hope someone here picked it up.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2020 10:31AM

@ProfHaroldHill said:
    Oops. The double-struck piece doesn't clearly indicate the date of manufacture.

Maybe that's it in the periphery at top of Rev(?), but the bold "1787" predominates and would absolutely mislead many a 'non-numismatist' collector.

It does indicate the date of manufacture. The date is fully struck and in the same place on the die as the non-double-struck pieces.

So I have to think that someone, someday, is going to file against the maker and/or owner(s), in order to pocket some cash and boost their ego at the same time.

It would be interesting to see what the result would be if that happens. These aren't exactly unknown pieces. Over 1000+ of the non-double-struck ones were struck in 2014 to lots of fanfare. There's a lot of press (and videos I believe) for these.

Just my two cents worth, but surely if I owned one I'd not publicize the fact overly, and trust/hope that the 'sleeping dog' would continue to snooze away.

I don't see an issue with publicizing as these have already been widely publicized when they were struck and a lot of the articles are still online.

If there did turn out to be an issue in the future, I still think life if too short to worry about that given how rare of an occurrence it would be for this piece. Imagine if Eliasberg hid his 1933 DE? The government came, and he turned it in, not a big deal.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the convention and had one made as flip over double strike. Just kinda fun. Slightly more affordable than an original. :)

• Options

@GoBust said:
    I was at the convention and had one made as flip over double strike. Just kinda fun. Slightly more affordable than an original. :)

That's awesome! Do you have any pics? :)

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pics sorry. Its in the bank currently. Was just fun to do. I have a picture somewhere with the less making it. Really could you a club show about now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file