Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold type dilemma

SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

as with a few of you who visit the pm sight and collect the gold type set, I continue to try to add some gold while still somewhat coin collecting. After selling some more of my type coins, I will likely be able to hunt for an add another gold coin or two. That said, I always struggle with adding a nice coin, adding a few less nice(but what I think is appealing coins) or adding the most gold. A pic of the gold set as it stood awhile back. So if you could add ;
A) the three Vf/XX type coins $2.5 o, 2.5 s, $10p Attached some pics
B) maybe a ms64 st gaudens. Attached a pic
C) maybe an entry level gold cc or gold c mint mark
D) a nicer $10 lib or $1 gold type coins

Some of my thoughts are:
-although owning better $1 coins or a c mint would be nice, there is not much gold and the size of the coins are small and tough for me to appreciate with just eyes( eyesight is t getting better)
-like the vf/Xf coins, seem to have a decent eye appeal, but maybe they are just dreck...do want to add an o mint to the collection
-like the look of the $20, but premium over spot sometimes seems like not the best move

Ideally would love to get a capped or draped gold coin, but they are out of my price range right now...

Any thoughts on what might be more satisfying to add, are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on your objective. Personally I like non-generic Saints, cac, in a grade like 64. Like 1910 etc. You get good amount of gold for your money, also a collector side. Also like the cac type 2 double eagles in below MS. Less coins, better coins.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems you are wavering between collecting and stacking....You can do both, but the collecting side is a tad more expensive (value vs. melt). When it comes to the collecting side of gold, I buy only that which has significant appeal to me - that includes condition, appearance and unique characteristics (i.e. mm, rarity) - and usually need all three to get me to buy. Stacking, well... mainly bargain pricing....buy on the dips or exceptional deals that rarely appear. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

The value of the metal probably offers more upside than the rarity.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are good options, but that scarce, southern gold is sure addictive. >:)

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, only decision so far is that it won’t be bullion, want to add something different to my collection. That said the dilemma still exists.

$5 D vf CAC

$5 C vf CAC

$2.5 O xf + either a NM $10 in Au or a $5 CC in Au

All work out to about the same price.

Does the allure of owning a D or C outweigh the prohibitive cost?

Any thoughts appreciated...Have you owned something like this ( southern gold), and did it stay in your collection/ hoard or was the pleasure short lived and then sold and back to other items.

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:
    So, only decision so far is that it won’t be bullion, want to add something different to my collection. That said the dilemma still exists.

$5 D vf CAC

$5 C vf CAC

$2.5 O xf + either a NM $10 in Au or a $5 CC in Au

All work out to about the same price.

Does the allure of owning a D or C outweigh the prohibitive cost?

Any thoughts appreciated...Have you owned something like this ( southern gold), and did it stay in your collection/ hoard or was the pleasure short lived and then sold and back to other items.

Any Interest.....PM me. I've got 3 Dahlonega Gold $5.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

"like the look of the $20, but premium over spot sometimes seems like not the best move"

The $20s as a rule have the lowest premium to melt.....the $1's and $3's the highest. It's only common sense. Your best bang for the buck is in the $10's and $20's at minimal premiums to melt. If you want to collect truly scarce US Gold that has a chance of appreciating due to true scarcity and increasing demand, then look at bust gold, no motto gold, CC's, Dahlonega, Charlotte, key dates or varieties, condition census pieces. The $10's and $20's will generally roll with gold. If gold is heading a lot higher, the best return will be in those selling the most closely to bullion.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

ALWAYS go for the biggest, heaviest , chunkiest gold you can buy. $20 Saint or my favorite the old school cool $20 Liberty.imo