Home Precious Metals
Options

$50,000

BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
edited June 4, 2020 11:51AM in Precious Metals

If you had 50 grand in cash to invest in gold, would you buy Eagles, Krugerrands, or Mint bars. ?
Bob

Past transactions with:
Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

eagles

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles, but have no problems buying Maples or Krugs when Eagle premiums are running too high.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to APMEX.com and see which gold has the highest premium. There's a reason for that and therein lies your answer.

Hint. AGEs or Gold Buffalos

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

AGE's !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely Eagles.... or Buffs....Best liquidity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold down $43 today, stock market up almost 1000...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2020 11:29AM

@3stars said:
    Gold down $43 today, stock market up almost 1000...

Happy days are here again.

• Options

To all that mentioned Gold Eagles, dont you think the present premiums are to much to swallow ?
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

All premiums are high right now. Generic bars at $70 over when we were buying AGEs for $30 over 8 weeks ago. Premiums are coming down, so be patient. I would avoid fractional due to the obscene premiums on them right now. Let your local stores know you are looking for gold and they may call you when they get a large deal in over the counter. If they can turn their money over quickly you should get a better deal

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 297 ✭✭✭

Pre-33 us $20 Liberties and St. Gaudens with some $10's also. If you want cheap newer gold comm usually carry little to no premiums.

MIKE B.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get slabbed Saints and $20 Liberty's at close to melt w/o tax on GC every sunday.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2020 11:54PM

@KindaNewish said:
    You can get slabbed Saints and $20 Liberty's at close to melt w/o tax on GC every sunday.

Before or after the 10% - 12.5% buyers fee?

• Options
    BullionBullion Posts: 6
    edited June 5, 2020 11:59PM

Gold Maple Leafs. The anticounterfeiting technology on their gold and silver bullion coins post-2015 are best-in-class. And you can get Maple Leafs for lower premiums. A true win-win.

If you don't have an accurate and reliable metal tester, I wouldn't touch bars -- they are the counterfeiter's preferred product because they can make a lot more money and they are easier to fake. Whereas one-ounce government mint coins, and smaller denominations, are harder to counterfeit and don't provide the same return as counterfeit bars.

• Options

Thanks for all your ideas. The thing I'm worried about is that dealers and wholesalers have realized they can charge premiums that they never dreamed of getting and people are still buying.
    What makes you think they will lower premiums when everything they have in stock is flying off the shelves.
    Bob

Past transactions with:
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

My trip into the local stores yesterday found the shelves fairly full and premiums falling. With all right in the world again (at least according to the stock market and employment report) just watch and wait. My guess is spot and premiums will fall in the coming weeks

• Options

@taxmad said:
    My trip into the local stores yesterday found the shelves fairly full and premiums falling. With all right in the world again (at least according to the stock market and employment report) just watch and wait. My guess is spot and premiums will fall in the coming weeks

until record demand returns.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2020 8:57AM

@BobSav said:
    Thanks for all your ideas. The thing I'm worried about is that dealers and wholesalers have realized they can charge premiums that they never dreamed of getting and people are still buying.
    What makes you think they will lower premiums when everything they have in stock is flying off the shelves.
    Bob

Competition from the big sellers who can live with smaller margins, especially when demand weakens.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold eagles

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

American Buffalos if we are only talking government minted products. I believe there are now a few more pure gold options as well to mix in.

With a disclaimer: I would not have more than 20% of my investments in gold, maybe not more than 10%. If I had to cash out $50k, I'd start with the Buffalos. Then I would sell off $40k worth as soon as possible.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do it like the pros and buy scrap jewelry at 75% of melt.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

1oz eagles for me.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:
    Bob

Same thing happened back in the 2010-2011 run up, premiums on eagles were running $80-$120 an ounce. Fast forward to 2015-2019 and it was not uncommon to see the big online retailers running deals with only $10-$20 premiums, some even via ebay in non bullion categories etc. where ebay buck rewards were actually yielding AGE well below melt.

Once demand starts to dry up (and it will/already is) dealers will have no choice but to lower premiums if they want to move any metal. The general public has a very short memory, the pandemic is over, stock market back to record highs and the national debt is just some imaginary number that nobody can even comprehend. Gold will be forgotten by most and written off as some barbaric relic. Stack on.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

" stock market back to record highs and the national debt is just some imaginary number that nobody can even comprehend. Gold will be forgotten by most and written off as some barbaric relic. "

And let the Ponzi scheme continue :)

Bob

Past transactions with:
  • Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

I did exactly that last year. I had $74k hanging around in 100's and I bought 25 double eagles .mostly common dates but also some not so common dates and now I'm selling the common dates! I buy almost everything through greatcollections but do your homework!

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffs and Eagles for me these days. One Oz only. I'm actually starting to favor the buffs as I want universal liquidity. I sold off my maples a while ago and did well but took a small hit on the return premium. Premiums are sliding a bit and if I were travelling to Europe anytime soon some Phils could be of interest.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt buy them at these ridiculous premiums

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    I wouldnt buy them at these ridiculous premiums

That's what's really bugging me.. I know there was a shortage of supply right after the silver and gold prices fell along with the stock markets, but it seems that most dealers now have product AND high premiums.
    I placed 2 separate orders last week with Provident metals and got the fastest shipping from them that I have gotten in years, so I guess their big backlog is gone, but the juice is still high.
    Frustrating !

Bob

Past transactions with:
  • Options

I would wait a month. If they go up it won't be by much. They could come down even more.