Home Sports Talk
Options

What is it about coins?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 3, 2020 7:28AM in Sports Talk

I go to the coin section of the forum every now and then just to poke around a little bit, and I have noticed how much activity goes on over there. It is like New York City over there. It is always slam packed, and the place is in full bloom. There's hot dog stands over there, dandelions blooming, they have a children's area, I even got a parking ticket over there, it's insane. What is it about coins?

Comments

• Options

I've got a jar full of quarters, but they don't do anything for me.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

100x’s the amount of collectors and 250 years of history

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

its a coin forum , coins are a real hobby. Sports cards not so much

• Options

You're not kidding about the amount of collectors. I've noticed that if you post a comment over there, it doesn't stay at the top of the page very long. Of course, we all know that some of the members here are really house cats that log on just to troll and start trouble.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2020 10:24AM

Most card collectors these days are on social media, which in my experience is a very active venue (I belong to several groups on FB). Legacy message boards like this platform have been replaced for the most part but coin collectors are typically an older demographic group so this platform is still popular among those folks.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2020 12:28PM

I’m a vintage football guy and belong to private message board, pretty much all the old school Football guys are there. I don’t even bother talking Football cards here anymore. Just not much interest in my opinion. The Coin guys are mixed in with PM guys and there are a lot of stackers so add that to the huge amount of coin guys and you get that much more action over there.

• Options

Forgot to add, I hope I didn’t offer TMI we don’t want Bronco to get upset again

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Forgot to add, I hope I didn’t offer TMI we don’t want Bronco to get upset again

only math problems upset me , I'm recently woke

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin forums are not nearly as active today as they were 15 years ago.

A number of posters have passed away, left on there own or were banned.

Things were really active when our host had an Open Forum. Once the Open Forum was eliminated forum activity slowed down.

The people who pos t on the coin forums are mostly older and some are very advanced collectors and dealers who share their knowledge. It is a great resource, however many younger collectors use different, newer platforms for their hobby pursuits.

Glad there is a Sports Talk forum

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    100x’s the amount of collectors and 250 years of history

For me it's now 2000 years of history.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< What is it about coins? >>>

Because it's fun and also a storehouse of value.

Plus if done correctly thru knowledge, coins can be a great investment as well.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    The coin forums are not nearly as active today as they were 15 years ago.

A number of posters have passed away, left on there own or were banned.

Things were really active when our host had an Open Forum. Once the Open Forum was eliminated forum activity slowed down.

The people who post on the coin forums are mostly older and some are very advanced collectors and dealers who share their knowledge. It is a great resource, however many younger collectors use different, newer platforms for their hobby pursuits.

Glad there is a Sports Talk forum

Absolutely! My thought when I first read the topic was "You should have been here in 2006". That was back before I was registered as a user, but there were posts every couple of seconds back then!

• Options

Nevermind the coins, my wife just took back the last brownie! She had bought a box containing four brownies at Wal Mart. She had eaten three before I had a chance to get one, and there was one left. She said I could have the last one, and then today at approximately 12:35 p.m. Eastern time, she changed her mind and took it back. I'm married to a brownie indian giver!!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be if a card loses all it's value, whats left is a piece of cardboard. If a coin, say a quarter, loses all it's numismatic value you still have a quarter to spend.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    You're not kidding about the amount of collectors. I've noticed that if you post a comment over there, it doesn't stay at the top of the page very long. Of course, we all know that some of the members here are really house cats that log on just to troll and start trouble.

Hey you lay off on the kitties; they're cute and they're man's REAL best friend. :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@Estil said:

@doubledragon said:

Hey you lay off on the kitties; they're cute and they're man's REAL best friend. :)

Yes, and they are cool as well.

Awww that is so cute! ^^ We should have a special kitty thread/topic on here, it can include those old late 1800s cabinet cards that showed what we now call LOL kitties (yes they were dressed up and/or had funny captions as well)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably there would be more activity here if members weren't so self-righteous and opinionated. what begin as discussions often turn into "I'm right and the stats prove it" arguments. the Coin Forum parallel would be telling someone "More collectors like Morgan Dollars so you're stupid to like Quarters" or something like that.

in a NutShell, the Coin Forum tends to be more about education, discussion and showcasing new purchases, the Sports Forum tends to be more I'm right and you're wrong. that pushes people away instead of pulling them in.

• Options

@keets said:
    probably there would be more activity here if members weren't so self-righteous and opinionated. what begin as discussions often turn into "I'm right and the stats prove it" arguments. the Coin Forum parallel would be telling someone "More collectors like Morgan Dollars so you're stupid to like Quarters" or something like that.

in a NutShell, the Coin Forum tends to be more about education, discussion and showcasing new purchases, the Sports Forum tends to be more I'm right and you're wrong. that pushes people away instead of pulling them in.

Well what’s the purpose of Sports Talk if you can handle a heated debate? Yea guys like Dallas are obtuse and think they are smarter than everyone but who cares? It’s fun and if feelings get hurt you shouldn’t be entering the octagon then. I’ve argued with everyone here except my good friend Double D but I still enjoy the banter. It’s always been a short crew compared to the Coin forum, think about it. Even at the height of Sports Talk we had For Baseball Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Indians, Phillies fans, For NFL Patriots, Eagles, Cowboys, Browns, Giants fans as the biggest contributors involved. That’s not a major amount of interest

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

another difference, Coin Forum usually means a heated debate will end up with someone getting banned, at the Sports Forum it will end with someone leaving for good or spending much less time participating. the tenor of the debate and the vitriol at this forum gets a little deeper. there's nothing wrong with that and it isn't a case of "don't enter the octagon" it's simply that most people would rather get along.

you can win this debate if it makes you happy, but then the members here are trying to figure out why there's not much participation and maybe you have an answer.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still sports related

• Options

I'm just glad my sports talk family isn't as dysfunctional as my real family is.

• Options

@keets said:
    another difference, Coin Forum usually means a heated debate will end up with someone getting banned, at the Sports Forum it will end with someone leaving for good or spending much less time participating. the tenor of the debate and the vitriol at this forum gets a little deeper. there's nothing wrong with that and it isn't a case of "don't enter the octagon" it's simply that most people would rather get along.

you can win this debate if it makes you happy, but then the members here are trying to figure out why there's not much participation and maybe you have an answer.

We have had some major contributors get themselves banned. Dimeman, 1970’s, baseball, Joe Stalin, Axtell all red boxed. Stown, Lawnmowerman were two of my favorites and they just stopped posting. Idk I don’t think it is about being butthurt really but who knows. I’m not trying to argue with you I’m just looking at it differently than you

• Options
    edited June 17, 2020 11:09AM

Someone in the trading card section said that Lawnmowerman has been known to take breaks from posting before, so he's probably just in hibernation. I suspect he'll be coming through with his Lawnmower again sometime. I miss Lawnmowerman too, we used to joke around a lot with eachother in the trading card section.

• Options

I just hope Lawnmowerman didn't have an accident with his Lawnmower, I worry about him because his job is so dangerous.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2020 12:45PM

Matt I hope your doing ok buddy 😂😂😂

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

We have had some major contributors get themselves banned. Dimeman, 1970’s, baseball, Joe Stalin, Axtell all red boxed. Stown, Lawnmowerman were two of my favorites and they just stopped posting. Idk I don’t think it is about being butthurt really but who knows. I’m not trying to argue with you I’m just looking at it differently than you

I noticed Dimeman got the hammer a few days ago. does anyone know what happened? I will really miss him posting

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

I noticed Dimeman got the hammer a few days ago. does anyone know what happened? I will really miss him posting

This should explain it pretty well:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038526/coin-shops-how-are-they-doing-over-the-looting-and-protests#latest

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

no corners to ding. getting coins wet doesn't kill them.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    no corners to ding. getting coins wet doesn't kill them.

You're right about that. Being a card collector, I find it hard to even walk by a faucet. Water to me is like sunlight to Dracula. If my wife wants to scare me, all she has to do is hold a glass of water up towards me.