Home U.S. Coin Forum

Different coin?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 1, 2020 2:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Isn't it amazing how just a slight move of the same coin would make the image look entirely like a whole different coin. Ex: same coin

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning pattern by the mouth makes me think it's the same coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Precisely why buying or grading from pictures is not reliable...Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly!!!

• ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Wow, The fifth picture, from straight on makes the coin look well worn, at not possibly a MS65. Yet the second shot shows that same coin with great detail. As @ricko says, that is why grading or buying from pictures in not reliable.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe we all will agree (rare occurrence?) that grading from pics is destined to always be less accurate than getting a chance to hold the coin in hand. No matter what . . . no matter how good the picture is. That is NOT a problem and condemns no one.

But, the GTG threads keep the Boards alive. Why? First . . . if you get a few responses, you can get an average. Barring an obvious hidden defect, that 'average' will give you a good idea of the range of grade and with a reasonably decent pic, you can get an overall idea of grade.

Secondly, particularly with more esoteric or uncommon coins, you will run into the views of one, or two, or three here who have a commensurate uncommon amount of expertise and experience with your coin type. We have amazing levels of expertise (present company excluded) that can present information in coin specifics and grading.

So . . . I feel fairly competent in some areas that I can grade with a coin in hand. But . . . I rarely respond to GTG threads as I know what you can do intentionally or accidentally with a pic. Regardless . . . getting a chance to have the eyes here take a look at your newly acquired piece is a worthwhile effort . . . no matter what the pic does.

Drunner

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a thought...
    Buying from a photo is to me is risky.
    Its a good reference for questions to start a dialog.
    Now if its in hand and always was yours, let the fun begin as now you have a file .
    Photos on file gives social distancing a whole new outlook in collecting.
    Learn somthing new every day.
    Cool.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file