Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1825 capped bust half..Discovery Coin?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is what appears to be a unique die marriage, pairing the "Re-tooled date" obverse with the " Smoking Eagle" reverse.
The small hole and light graffiti do nothing to lessen the value of this extreme rarity.

Comments

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL you got me, I pulled out my 1825 50c to look for the smoking eagle LOL... I think mine has a triple neck going on. I think this may be O-104

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 3:15PM

Let a real expert take over here. The coin is obviously O-20°, the extremely rare "Arctic Eagle" variety. I'm surprised you guys missed the "frosty breath" diagnostic. Smoking eagle indeed. . . . . . . .

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it! That eagle looks very pleased with the toke he pulled!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I love it! That eagle looks very pleased with the toke he pulled!

HaHa yes! That is a very chill bird!

• Options

Arctic Eagle?
    Please...the diagnostics clearly point to it being the far rarer Smoker. The shape of the eye is distinctive.
    The Pablo "Vest Pocket" Faust provenance should clear up any doubts. The only other known marriage of the Smoking Eagle reverse appears on the also unique 1817/29, discovered by Faust last April.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you've overstepped here. Any real expert knows that had this been the "Smoking Eagle" variety, the scratched-in hallmark would have been "Far Out".

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s not a hole. It’s an air vent to let the smoke out of the room🙂

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of a kind; actually the coin was engraved by Andrew Jackson himself, making it a true conversation piece.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good name for the Eagle... :D How many tokes would an eagle take if an eagle could take tokes? :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    LOL you got me, I pulled out my 1825 50c to look for the smoking eagle LOL... I think mine has a triple neck going on. I think this may be O-104

Not the O.104. Likely O.105.
    Lance.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2020 10:53AM

Ha!
    Totally fooled you guys! This isn't a rare DM at all...it's just some old bust half that I found in the Parking Lot at the local bowling alley..
    I hope you've learned a lesson, sometimes even the experts (me)
    Get it wrong..😅

parkinglotdiscoverycoin

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many questions...
    I wonder if "Faust" has any relation to Goethe's tragic play of the same name. The coin is contemporary to it.
    Cool item!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file