Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thousands of Old Baseball Cards Passed down to me from my grandfather

How do I determine which cards are valuable?

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 11:54AM

Start with Hall of Fame players. Post some pictures here and you will get plenty of help. Are they Topps, Bowman etc... What year cards are they?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos are the easiest way to get assistance.

If you’re selling, I’ll take the Mantle’s today. ;)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Where are you and the cards physically located?

I would highly recommend NOT handling them any more than you have to for right now. Get someone onsite who can help you evaluate the collection and determine next steps. For example, if you have individual high value cards in plastic pages, there's a specific way you should be removing them and then putting them into a new, safer holder.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Getting cards from a grandfather takes on a whole new meaning these days. A 20 year old kid with a dad who was 20 when he was born, has a dad who was twenty when he was born. Grandpa is maybe 60ish,, born in the 60s sometime, maybe had cards from the late 60s/early 70s, if not a later life collector who dabbled in the roaring 90s!

Not saying this is the case here, but it sounds like a cache of 50s or older cards to most members here when they hear this kind of phrase, when in fact it is highly unlikely to be the case more often than not.

I remember fantasizing about inheriting older cards when I was a kid and first collecting (1978). My dad was born in 1927, so if my grandfather (or father) had cards from when they were kids (neither did), that would have been something exciting for sure.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.