Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1859 S Seated Liberty Dollar Breen-5462

4BR4BR Posts: 13
edited May 31, 2020 10:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi,
I have a PCGS 1859 S Seated Liberty dollar variety, re-punched date, you can clearly see it at the base of the "1" from the scan I took. This is a pretty rare one year type dollar as it is. The variety is not captured on the PCGS slab. Is it worth it to get this resubmitted back to PCGS to capture the Breen-5462 variety? Opinions please. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

check auction records to see if ANY premium has been paid for that variety and you will have your answer.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 10:19AM

In the Osborn-Cushing guide, there are 2 known die pairs for the 1859-S.
    Both have repunched 18, with under digits south.
    As a result, both obverses would be attributed as Breen-5462, so there would be zero value in having that on the slab.

To tell the difference between them, apparently you need a photo which includes both the shield and the date.
    Or, if there are reverse die cracks, those are only known on the OC-1.
    http://www.seateddollarvarieties.com/1859-S.shtml

The OC guide says OC-1 is an R2 and OC-2 is R4, but I believe there are few people
    who collect this series by die marriage, so even having that on the holder would not be of much value.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seriously doubt that it would be worth it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 10:28AM

the pcgs coin number for 59-s dollars is 6948.

there are no others which means there is not a single 59-s dollar graded by pcgs with any attribution. so if you got one, you would be the first.

pcgs will not just put any designation on a coin for you, there is a pre-approved list.

one you learn the ropes, you can occasionally get a "first reported" or the like with documentation from a pre-determined expert/s.

fs-fivas stanton
    $1 Brunk J-212 J.B. Jones
    Brunk T-381 J.F. Tozer
    etc.

click the plus signs on the pop pages to see whom they use for various denominations.

hope it helps.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Thanks everyone, these are really informative and helpful comments and info!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4BR.... Welcome aboard....The inputs above are good....Let us know what your decision will be... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget about the chopmarked variety ;)

• Options
    edited June 9, 2020 7:36PM

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Nice coin OriginalDan
    Without question some of 1859-S dollars went to China in 59 etc. some
    circulated at home

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@Realone said:

@OriginalDan said:

Sweet!
    Dont you have another example?

Turns out the other one was a screwdriver job, the guy who sold it to me fessed up later. :'(

You should PM me, Dan

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@Realone said:

@OriginalDan said:

Sweet!
    Dont you have another example?

Turns out the other one was a screwdriver job, the guy who sold it to me fessed up later. :'(

Shame you had to chose between fake chops and graffiti. That graffiti is pretty bad so one can only imagine.

• Options

Didn’t mean to derail this thread, my apologies to the OP.

1859-S is a really cool issue, despite all the problem coins out there!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:21PM

Thanks for posting the larger photos.
    Your coin is the OC-1, based on the date position, with the right side upright of the 1
    intersecting the 4th set of shield lines, between line 2 and 3 (SL 4 - 2.5).

• Options
    edited May 31, 2020 6:26PM

Thank you very much for performing the research and the measurement, this makes complete sense now. There is no need for me to re-submit this to PCGS to capture a variety, when OC-1 is the majority of surviving pieces for this rare issue and OC-2 does not seem to be a substantial enough variety to warrant too much attention. It's always good to learn something new about what's in one's collection.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

Thanks for posting the larger photos.
    Your coin is the OC-1, based on the date position, with the right side upright of the 1
    intersecting the 4th set of shield lines, between line 2 and 3 (SL 4 - 2.5).

@yosclimber is a true Scholar of coins. @4BR i agree with your choice not to reholder, our hosts don’t recognize the variety anyway, no use in spending the time/money. Enjoy it as is

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file