Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What The Heck Wheat Penny?

So is this someone trying to do counterfeit back in the day? Can't figure out what is with this penny I got in a bag of wheaties.

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting. Maybe @FredWeinberg @CaptHenway or @ErrorsOnCoins can help.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does the reverse look like?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks legit to me......at least I can't figure out how someone could do this outside the mine.

bob :)
    PS: I don't do errors.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm !!! Interesting.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 4:12PM

Possibly a fake made from a soft metal transfer die. The letters in LIBERTY look spread out

If it was double struck, there should be evidence on the reverse

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

What if they changed only the obverse Die the Reverse would not have changed but I agree if it was struck twice it would have to show some type of movement! on the reverse as well, That is a very interesting repunched date!

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Here is the reverse...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @FredWeinberg . My very first impression was some kind of counterfeit.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it goes into your fakes, oddities, magicians coin and minor errors binder. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find.... Very different from the parking lot coins we see so often....Someone tried a very clever trick to make an expensive 'error' coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Possibly a fake made from a soft metal transfer die. The letters in LIBERTY look spread out

If it was double struck, there should be evidence on the reverse

Yes, false dies overstrike.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

"False Die"
    Which one? the 1918 or the 1919?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The false die was dated 1918.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that someone would go to such lengths to make this example. Wow is all I can say.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Interesting find.... Very different from the parking lot coins we see so often....Someone tried a very clever trick to make an expensive 'error' coin.... Cheers, RickO

@AUandAG said:
    Interesting that someone would go to such lengths to make this example. Wow is all I can say.

It was probably a test-strike for the counterfeit dies, and not intended to create an "error" coin. More than likely, he/she then struck many more on homemade copper blanks to make the venture worth it.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have been more realistic if the false die was also dated 1918 and if the two rotations were not that far apart.

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Would have been more realistic if the false die was also dated 1918 and if the two rotations were not that far apart.

The false die was dated 1918. It's the undertype that's dated 1919.
    Again likely not meant to be "realistic." Probably the result of a true counterfeiter in 1919 or early 1920s testing out their counterfeit dies before making more.

We could use this piece for diagnostics of the die to try and find examples without an undertype.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JesseKraft said:

@ricko said:

@AUandAG said:

It was probably a test-strike for the counterfeit dies, and not intended to create an "error" coin. More than likely, he/she then struck many more on homemade copper blanks to make the venture worth it.

One might wonder why all the effort to counterfeit a common cent. Do not see much value there in passing counterfeit cents.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spadone's book has a few examples illustrated I believe.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

The false die over strike is 1919

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@JesseKraft said:

@ricko said:

@AUandAG said:

One might wonder why all the effort to counterfeit a common cent. Do not see much value there in passing counterfeit cents.

If you make enough of them, then there's value in it. In the early 1920s, daily wages averaged $2.50 for unskilled workers to $5 for skilled workers. Once all of the pieces of a counterfeiting operation were in place, this amount could be equalled in a couple of hours. Then there is the risk of getting caught. If the average person went around trying to spend counterfeit $100s in this period, red flags of suspicion would raise everywhere. Counterfeiting silver dimes, quarters, and halves, while more value per piece, had their own considerations to weigh. To make a counterfeit silver coin appear most-genuine, the counterfeiter needed silver, thus driving up his/her cost, and the same, really, copper-nickel to counterfeit five-cent pieces. Copper, on the other hand, could be acquired cheaply (or for free to those so inclined to merely take it) and nearly perfectly match (alloys aside) the true composition of the coin. Whoever made this thought about how to make a most-realistic counterfeit coin with the least-likely denomination to get caught.

The coin below shows that this mindset is still alive in the present era. A test-strike of counterfeit dies over a 1985 Lincoln cent. It makes you (or me, anyway) wonder even more, "Why?" But, again, equal to a counterfeiter's goal of making money is to not get caught.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Wow! Havent seen a 1919/1918 double die for awhile. Will you send it in ? ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file