Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

??Tooled??

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of months back I purchased a nice looking raw Barber Quarter. It was submitted raw to our hosts in early May for grading. It came back a couple of days ago in a "Tooled" holder. I've looked the coin over from top to bottom on all 3 sides and can't find anything that looks like tooling. Can someone give me an education?

I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 4:44AM

Is the lower band below Liberty messed with?

Edit to add...also looks like some of the letters have been enhanced. Look at the B.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compare with the obverse. See how the tail feathers; wing tips; lower portion of the shield, and the eagle's head are slightly worn? AU coin with 'enhanced' obverse details. I think LIBERTY and the band along with some lower hair details were (somewhat) expertly tooled.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The B in Liberty looks messed with...the top is squared rather than curved....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad a very valuable asset to this forum is not here to point out the tooling.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need better close up pics of the areas in question to answer your question.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Here's a closeup of the LIBERTY band on the coin:

Here's the same area on another 1916 graded Quarter:

I don't see anything tooled in the LIBERTY band, but I have old eyes....

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse looks tooled to enhance the features on Liberty.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a AU 58 out of coin facts. Yours almost looks counterfeit compared to the AU 58. The details of the Eye, lips, Nose all look different ( Worn dies?) But I think the top of the hair looks retooled to me.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best guess is the star radials.

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

On the Reverse the word UNUM looks like it could have been enhanced because of the wear around the Eagles head and wear on the ribbon, Just thinking!

• Options

I looked at all the stars up close; I can't see anything in the star radials.

Here's an enlargement of UNUM:

I don't see anything there, either.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    This is a AU 58 out of coin facts. Yours almost looks counterfeit compared to the AU 58. The details of the Eye, lips, Nose all look different ( Worn dies?) But I think the top of the hair looks retooled to me.

this!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be the gouge in the hair. Could of been a deep scratch and flattened out.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 9:08AM

@coinJP said:
    Could it be the gouge in the hair. Could of been a deep scratch and flattened out.

I see a flattening of the top leaves and into the letters T & R also. This is an interesting exercise, but I am not one to be able to "give an education" that's for sure.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the area of tooling isn’t even apparent in the images and thus, hasn’t been mentioned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

The area in front of the eye on nose doesn’t look right. In hand does that area look like some metal has been moved?

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 11:04AM

I'm going to guess that the whole obverse has been smoothed.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

That was the first place I thought of to look at, but I don't see anything.

Maybe above "OF?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like wing feather details have been added to the wing right of the shield. At least it looks a little off to me.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photos, I am not seeing anything obvious.

A coin can sometimes get a tooled designation from very small things such as pin scratches from someone trying to remove a spot. It does not always have to be major liike recarving design details or smoothing fields.

Which leads me to wonder about a couple of areas. Is there anything going on above the O in OF or around the spot that is between the ER in QUARTER?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, no clue. Sure would have been nice to get an explanation from the grading company. For as much as it costs to ship something to them, the service itself and the shipping back...I would just consider it to be darn near a common sense courtesy for a couple of words to be written down or typed somewhere, especially when it isn't obvious like with this example. What do I know though?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 12:20PM

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I'm going to guess that the whole obverse has been smoothed.

If that were the case, it’s likely PCGS would have indicated such, rather than describing it as “tooled”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 12:51PM

The entire look of the coin does have that overly "smooth" and fuzzy look. Hard to say from what. Between 2 left and 2 right obverse stars the luster is gone. Around the date as well. That's a bit odd looking. You wouldn't quite expect that with luster around all the other stars. The coin almost seems like it had more luster on it before something might have been done to it. It has a "very faint" resemblance to the fields of a whizzed coin....but not where you can put your finger right on it. A puzzler.

I went through all of PCGS no grade designations. Nowhere do I find whizzing, polishing, etc. as a specific issue. Altered surfaces, damage, and cleaning are the closest ones.

https://pcgs.com/grades

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Here are enlargements of the areas recently mentioned:

There are a couple of small scratches between the serifs on the "E" in Quarter. They look natural to me, however.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could help you figure this out, but I do not see anything that stands out and un-natural. It would be nice if all coins that get genuine / smoothed, damaged, tooled etc. got an explanation. The cost of grading is not cheap.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe resend it in for grading again see if they grade it this time. Then you will know! Don’t say a word just send it in by itself. It would be a good test I bet they give it a grade this time around.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Maybe resend it in for grading again see if they grade it this time. Then you will know! Don’t say a word just send it in by itself. It would be a good test I bet they give it a grade this time around.

I think a better idea would be to take it to a show and present it to PCGS during an "Ask the Experts" session. If you just send it in again and get a straight grade, you won't know if it's a borderline coin or whether the first graders just whiffed.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this. It may just be the toning. But the pictures make Liberty and the band look like they have been messed with to me.

@Gluggo said:

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the most unfortunate "mechanical error"??

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

Someone picked away at crud/tarnish/whatever. Seems most evident on reverse. Check out the nooks and crannies.

• Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Hair behind and below the ear?

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

Yes. Look more closely at the obverse stars, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fascinating post. I have absolutely nothing to add, however everything to learn. If that makes sense. Thanks.

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

@10000lakes said:
    The area in front of the eye on nose doesn’t look right. In hand does that area look like some metal has been moved?

Exactly what I see. This.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@yosclimber said:

BINGO, We have a winner.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AstroJoe said:
    Hair behind and below the ear?

This is what I saw, pretty obvious to me at least. Eye went right to it, but I don't collect Barbers, so may be way off.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@Baley said:

@yosclimber said:

BINGO, We have a winner.

Now I see it.
    Good eye.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Too bad a very valuable asset to this forum is not here to point out the tooling.

Most of us are on more than one forum and this came from CT.
    I paraphrased so it isn't word for word.

Unfortunately, I am not at a place I can blow the image up. I've looked and just like everyone else, I cannot see OBVIOUS >TOOLING.
    I see nothing alarming on the coin Except the abrasion over "of" on the reverse. Note the change of color on fresh, exposed >surface.

"Tooling" on a coin refers to the movement of metal on a surface. It can take many forms such as:

1. Burnishing the surface to smooth it out.
    2. Digging into the surface to remove something
    3. Reengraving the lost design details.
    4. "Chasing" the surface to raise a design feature such as a mintmark or chasing the surface to cover the seam around an >added mintmark.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:30AM

I do not believe there has been any tooling to restore star radials or other details.

What I see looks like someone took a toothpick and tried to clean off a spot.
    I suspect that at one time there was a larger black spot centered between the letters "OF" that connected to the denticles.
    It seems fairly minor, but there may be other similar scrapings, including perhaps the lighter-color area around the "R" of QUARTER. This picture shows an area of the toothpick scraping (magenta outline):

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:38AM

@roadrunner said:
    The entire look of the coin does have that overly "smooth" and fuzzy look. Hard to say from what.

That look comes from a coin that was, at one time, somewhat heavily toned.
    The dark toning was reversed by dipping, but some stubborn spots remained.
    Fortunately, the coin still has an overall decent appearance (market acceptable) except for some small area(s) of toothpicking.

Many other coins like that were frequently cleaned with mild abrasive, which would yield a cleaned/polished appearance (which would not be "market acceptable").

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a very educational post. How about an "upclose" of the stars that have been mentioned? The OP takes excellent photos BTW!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @dcarr You push away crud and the toning is different. Peace

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

As a follow up, I decided to crack this coin out and resubmit it raw. It came back in a straight AU55 holder this time:

If I weren't so far underwater on the coin I would be happy.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

good for you!

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Jeff

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    If I weren't so far underwater on the coin I would be happy.

at least you know now. the shareholders looooove you. ;)

i think they'll be loving me a little bit by xmas. ><

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to hang in there. Glad for you it finally graded.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the area of tooling isn’t even apparent in the images and thus, hasn’t been mentioned
    As a follow up, I decided to crack this coin out and resubmit it raw. It came back in a straight AU55 holder this time

..................as I was reading the replies and arrived at the first by Mark, I was in total agreement and thought that if the coin was re-submitted it might even straight grade. the fact that it did points to the subjective nature of coin grading. it doesn't say anything good or bad about PCGS to me, only that we each see different things when we examine coins and interpret that "data" based on prior experience. that seems to be what two different grading teams have done in this case. B)

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

So three people - two graders and finalizer, saw tooling the first time and the second time around - no one sees tooling....

I understand subjective grading, so now I must add subjective damage observation to my list as well??

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file