Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which provenance is better T. Harrison Garrett or Louis E. Eliasberg?

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2020 9:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have my fav but curious about yours and why. So I will tell you my reasons toward the end, and there are many.
Thanks for responding, we have a great place to learn here!

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg all day long .😀

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might depend on the series but Eliasberg is more recognizable to most.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    Eliasberg for completeness. Garrett for quality.

This.

I don't think one is better than the other.

Eliasberg carries more recognition and he will always hold a special place in numismatics for his achievement, and rightly so.

Garrett carries more mystique and star power to me. It's hard for me to explain why, but it's probably because of Q. David Bowers' book "The History of United States Coinage: As Illustrated by the Garrett Collection". Also, the four Garrett auctions took place from 1979 to 1981, the same time I was first getting into coin collecting as a teenager. I remember reading about them and being amazed at the coins. There were a lot of "WOW!" coins.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably depends on the coin... ;)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett coins are interesting because they were held in the family for many years and then went through Johns Hopkins University. The 1804 dollar was purchased in 1883 and sold by Johns Hopkins in 1980!

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2021 1:36PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 6:29AM

Neither.

Which would you rather have:
    1. Amazing coin, best of it's type you've ever seen.
    2. A slightly lesser coin than #1 that has a Garrett provenance.
    3. A similar coin to #2 that has the Eliasberg provenance?

If the provenance matters more than the coin, you're an idolater.

[Also, let's not forget, Pittman had some coins that Eliasberg did not.]

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would depend on the coin...........IEliasberg is more recognized but, frankly, I've seen some poor quality coins from his set.

If both coins were nice.....I'd probably go with Eliasberg.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer Eliasberg. He had the Unique 1873-CC NA Dime in Gem.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I prefer Garrett overall, there are some coins that I’d prefer with a Clapp-Eliasberg provenance. Again, assuming the coins are identical. Ultimately, the call would be based on the overall excellence of that part of the collection.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin from the Realone collection would float my boat.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett overall, Eliasberg did have some hole fillers...I don't believe Garrett did. On a specific coin, could be either.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg had it all over Garrett? His collection was complete with many great coins. Garret got a lot of press because the family had a lot of good coins, and the coins were sold at the peak of a strong market.
    Eliasberg had better coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Eliasberg had it all over Garrett? His collection was complete with many great coins. Garret got a lot of press because the family had a lot of good coins, and the coins were sold at the peak of a strong market.

Garrett blows Eliasberg away on Colonials, Pioneer Gold, Patterns, Historical Medals, World Coins (except Latin American gold) and Ancients. Clapp-Eliasberg blows Garrett away on US coins from 1793 on.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 7:31PM

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

Garrett blows Eliasberg away on Colonials, Pioneer Gold, Patterns, Historical Medals, World Coins (except Latin American gold) and Ancients. Clapp-Eliasberg blows Garrett away on US coins from 1793 on.

I confess ignorance. Those areas interest me, but those areas are not the be all and end all for me. The prices at the Garrett sales were so high, at the time, that it didn’t matter what they had. I could not come close to buying any of it. For me, when I was in my 20s, Garrett was a game for people who would pay any price for a souvenir. I had to save for a few months to have $1,500 to spend.

That auction turned me off completely. I really disliked the results of the Garrett sales because it told me, “Forget it kid!” Many of the people who bought stuff at the Garrett sales lost money unless they held the item for years.

I had an 1802, New Reverse half cent that was Ex Garrett. I bought it in the secondary market and sold it for a profit a couple decades later, but it took that long.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

.> @BillJones said:

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

I confess ignorance. Those areas interest me, but those areas are not the be all and end all for me. The prices at the Garrett sales were so high, at the time, that it didn’t matter what they had. I could not come close to buying any of it. For me, when I was in my 20s, Garrett was a game for people who would pay any price for a souvenir. I had to save for a few months to have $1,500 to spend.

That auction turned me off completely. I really disliked the results of the Garrett sales because it told me, “Forget it kid!” Many of the people who bought stuff at the Garrett sales lost money unless they held the item for years.

I had an 1802, New Reverse half cent that was Ex Garrett. I bought it in the secondary market and sold it for a profit a couple decades later, but it took that long.

I missed the March 1976 Garrett sale. I was 15 at the time, and would not attend my first Stack's auction until their ANA sale that summer. I also missed 3 of the four 1979-81 sales, attending only the March 1980 sale. Fortunately, I didn't buy anything, because the market collapsed a month later.

Anyway, its interesting how the sales turned you off and completely turned me on. For me, the inspiration to one day own museum-worthy coins like Garrett's vastly overpowered any sense of intimidation I might have felt from the heavyweights that surrounded me. And the same remains true today.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett by a nose

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Looks like you started this nonsense Realone.

• Options

I'm going to start a new thread, "What is more important to you provenance or pedigree"?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 2:42AM

@1peter1223 said:
    Eliasberg .
    What he accomplished WILL NOT be done again .

Did he have an 1870-S Half Dime? If not, he did have a complete collection of US coins.
    Also, I read many years ago his collection was missing a business strike 3 cent nickel. The coin he had for that date was actually a pattern. Does anyone here know the specifics of this?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 6:48PM

@shorecoll said:
    Garrett overall, Eliasberg did have some hole fillers...I don't believe Garrett did. On a specific coin, could be either.

Agree.

If guess if one is a completest then Eliasberg is your man. If you are taking about sheer number of great coins I’m taking Garrett. I’m not a set collector so I’m on Garrett.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 2:47AM

Thread Revival

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

I just started a thread on the Garrett medals and So-Called Dollars as I've started to run across more and they are very impressive.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1047274/t-harrison-garretts-so-called-dollars-and-medals/p1?new=1

Eliasberg had the great set of Lincoln gold medals.

Still learning for both.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file