Home U.S. Coin Forum

Raw 1921 Peace Dollar - Opinions

Hello. This is the second time I have created a new discussion about a 1921 High Relief Peace Dollar I have come across in a matter of days so I hope everyone reading the thread and looking at the coin don't mind me asking again for aid. I value other members opinions and thoughts on coins that I post pictures of. I just picked up this 1921 Peace Dollar as I thought it was a good deal. If other members of this forum could post what they think of it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has good luster, but what is going on in the reverse field above the eagle's back? Similarly, Ms. Liberty's cheek appears to have slide marks, too.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Lancer_343Lancer_343 Posts: 32 ✭✭

@TomB said:
    It has good luster, but what is going on in the reverse field above the eagle's back? Similarly, Ms. Liberty's cheek appears to have slide marks, too.

You know what, those two points you mention are the exact two I was thinking about as well and I could not pin-point what is going on there either. :)

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a an upper-range AU example with conspicuous distractions on each side.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Nice high relief coin. Are you trying to determine if it is high AU or low MS? The second video below walks through grading pretty well.

Here is a good video to identify high relief, start about 3:10 in and listen for a few minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvAGyTrsYk
    Here is a good grading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9d3nSgAM0

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad about the cheek and the reverse scratches.... Otherwise a nice Peace dollar....Cheers, RickO

@isaiah58 said:
    Nice high relief coin. Are you trying to determine if it is high AU or low MS? The second video below walks through grading pretty well.

Here is a good video to identify high relief, start about 3:10 in and listen for a few minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvAGyTrsYk
    Here is a good grading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g9d3nSgAM0

Hi! Thanks a lot everyone so far for sharing. Yes I am trying to determine if this coin is at least an MS-60. Thank you for the videos as well.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it looks MS, but that would need to be determined in hand.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

58/62 hairlines

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a raw coin. Only.
    I personally would not bother grading it as what is the point?
    I have a few 21s that look like yours and I just keep them because I like the series and I like the high relief.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree with Mark on this coin. If you can see that many hairlines in the photo I would guess there is more in hand. A lot of times you can't see any hairlines in a photo even though they are there.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think Think!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still nice.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a better pic of the reverse? Something like the obverse one.

The hairlines will likely kill a straight grade. But the business above eagle's back is probably a bigger concern.
    Lance.

@lkeigwin said:
    How about a better pic of the reverse? Something like the obverse one.

The hairlines will likely kill a straight grade. But the business above eagle's back is probably a bigger concern.
    Lance.

Hello. Thanks everyone I appreciate all of the input. At the moment those two pics are all that I have of this coin as I have yet to receive it in the mail.

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

The image appears to be one from a seller on eBay as they always wear those gloves. They are getting a bit dirty as well. This seller, and ones like them, would have slabbed the coin if it was worth it. That means they feel it is most likely 58, a slight chance at 60 but not worth the cost to find out. They are passing the risk on, based on their experience. There is no reason to NOT slab a 62/63 as they would sell the coin for more than double the cost to slab it. Hopefully you paid 55/58 value.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others above, I'm mostly curious about the unusual mark on the reverse in the upper field.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Net value based on the pics (to me) as I interpret them is a high AU coin with issues = AU50 money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file