Home U.S. Coin Forum

Blog Post on Error Coins

SullivanNumismaticsSullivanNumismatics Posts: 827 ✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2020 10:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a link to the just-posted-today blog post on the error market. With a lack of coin shows to attend, there's been no opportunity to write a "show report" for some time now, so this short one is about the general state of the hobby in our experience exclusively as an error coin dealer.

[https://www.sullivannumismatics.com/blog/error-market-doing-great](http://)

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blocked ??

• @Jimnight said:
    Blocked ??

I think there was a problem in the link, it should be fixed now.

• happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Jon. Always looking forward to your blog posts. :)

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jon,
    Thanks for the link! I just subscribed to the newsletter.
    I was just going through your incredible inventory, and have a question. How does something like this get out to the public? Was this actually found in a proof set? Perhaps @FredWeinberg could chime in, too.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• @JesseKraft said:
    Hi Jon,
    I was just going through your incredible inventory, and have a question. How does something like this get out to the public? Was this actually found in a proof set? Perhaps @FredWeinberg could chime in, too.

Thank you!

In terms of how this coin got out, without having "been there" you cannot know how it got out. Some mint errors like this were possibly snuck out of the Mints or came out through "unknown" methods, and others that could fit in the various sets, can come out in Mint packaging. However, very few major proof errors make it out of the Mint (via any "route".)

@SullivanNumismatics, That makes sense! This couldn't have fit in the hard-plastic proof set cases of the early '70s. Regardless of how it got out, it does serve as an interesting example of the proof-making process. Since most proof coins are struck at least twice, this gives us a glimpse into their surfaces if only struck once.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is an interesting error to me, besides being a truly rare proof o/c half.

i was under the impression the stock/flans for modern proofs were especially prepared for proof striking along with the dies. yet this coin proves for at least some, apparently business strike flan quality was used for proof coinage and the dies themsmelves carried all the weight. color me shocked. - unless the flan is also part of the error?

i've seen this somewhat with dcarrs overstrike pieces but not from the mint.

fwiw, i've seen in-hand a big cud proof nickel still in the mint packaging. not sure i still have the pics.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 8:05AM

@JesseKraft said:
    Hi Jon,

There were a number of "interesting" errors that came from the San Francisco mint in the early 70's including the 1970-S proof quarter struck over a 1941 Canadian quarter and another struck over a Barber quarter.

If I remember correctly, those coins came to light through a State of California auction (not sure if it was an unclaimed safety deposit box or drug forfeiture) and approved for sale by the secret service. I don't know if this coin was part of that sale, but it wouldn't surprise me if left the mint via similar circumstances.

Many have strong opinions on these errors that "had help" entering the marketplace. Personally, I am not a fan of the Canadian and Barber overstrikes, but I do like this coin. To each his own, I guess

Member of the ANA since 1982

@Oldhoopster, ah yes. I forgot about the Barber and Canadian quarters. I believe there are two Barbers known, one with a 1900 date visible and the other without a date. They definitely had some help

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned 4 error coins that I liked very much. I miss them but I still have photos of them I guess.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think online sales and auctions would be doing quite well now, with the lack of shows and most shops closed. Probable no...or very few... bargains due to focused business. Cheers, RickO

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

The story behind those Proof errors was that they were hiden in mint's machinery . The coins were placed in oil filter and removed when repaired. Coins were then cleaned with gasoline.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

Also an ad for NGC and PCGS in June 2005 stated that they would NOT authenticate Proof error coins wonder what the reason was for it at that time?

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a link or scan of these PCGS and NGC ads from 2005 ?

@giantsfan20 said:
    Also an ad for NGC and PCGS in June 2005 stated that they would NOT authenticate Proof error coins wonder what the reason was for it at that time?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file