Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1979 double die or Machine doubling......

This one is kinda crazy.....because when it comes to Double Dies one key thing to look for is a clear distinctive shift in the numbering or wording. as you can see I outlines the shift but the low profile of the doubling is consistent with that of Machine doubling.

I found the same effect on both a 1978 and 1979 philadelphia minted cents when it come to Liberty.

what do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Kana808Kana808 Posts: 43 ✭✭

@OldEastside even with the shift of the letter like that? normally all machine doubling I have come across never has had the inset wording or lettering have a shift down its always been line with the surface image.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The area is flat and shelf-like, which is a characteristic of mechanical doubling. Also, there is no evidence of split seraphs or notches

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling.... Good pictures ...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD
    Heres something that can help. Saved the picture from another thread.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a doubleD die.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file