Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Shipping from Europe?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2020 9:08PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone have any recent shipping experiences they'd like to share?
Are things getting back to normal in any way, or is it still problematic?

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 3 weeks from Britain. Having more problems with first class mail within the US, though. An item mailed from Wisconsin back on 5/13 is no longer being tracked.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fed ex shipment from Spain too about 2 weeks with much of the time sitting in Memphis waiting to be cleared

• Options

Ok, not too bad then.
    To bid or not to bid...that is the question. 🤪

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should add that two German vendors have advised me that they are not shipping until further notice. You need to confirm with the auction house whether they will ship within a reasonable time.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Two auctions from Italy on Catawiki. Both won on the same day. one received in two weeks the other one took over two months

• Options

@angelo43 said:
    Two auctions from Italy on Catawiki. Both won on the same day. one received in two weeks the other one took over two months

Italy is usually the worst when waiting for an export permit. Takes months in normal times.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

one vendor in Germany (auction) taking $$ if your bid is successful but will not ship goods until safe to ship.
    This was a verbal answer when asked last week.

my question: was it before? or is it not safe to ship now because of Covid virus?
    seems every thing is being blamed on the virus.
    he suggested because many workers are not working and getting paid anyway.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

Spain?

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shipped one coin to latvia on April 13 express and it just arrived post office on May 22, 2020.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Shipping from Japan not happening.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shipped a package to Spain April 29th through the new ebay international shipping program which is handled by DHL. It delivered yesterday. These also go to Kentucky like the Global Shipping program and come with $100 insurance. It is just a wee bit cheaper than the USPS except for Australia which is 10% cheaper than the USPS.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

A shipment I am waiting for from Russia dropped off the radar when it left Sheremetyevo airport in Moscow on the 29th of April. Sure it got to NY then just sits...

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I shipped a package to Spain April 29th through the new ebay international shipping program which is handled by DHL. It delivered yesterday. These also go to Kentucky like the Global Shipping program and come with $100 insurance. It is just a wee bit cheaper than the USPS except for Australia which is 10% cheaper than the USPS.

Australia is having a hard time getting anything out right now.
    England - 1 week

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

England, France, Spain all seem to be getting here at a decent rate - delay time really dropping. Germany's restriction is apparently still in place - my seller is going to be naughty and send me a "Magazin". So scandalous - don't tell the authorities.

The funny thing that has happened a few times recently is where things got here to one of the USPS international sort centers (usually NY or Chicago... then get misrouted completely once here). I get the feeling the workers are under some pressure there being short-staffed, receiving dumps all at once when certain countries started moving again and whatnot.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won a coin back in Nov. 2019 with an Italian auction house. I was informed that I would
    need an "Export License". Repeated delays for overwhelmed work load at the government
    office. Then Covid 19 hits and there is a stand still. As of today still no coin. All this for a 500 year
    old German coin won in an auction in Italy. Yes they are a major Italian auction house.
    Apparently they have no "pull" with the powers that be.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

In Spain, there is one major house that always does it by the book... but none of the other biggies bother. You gotta figure they grease someone to look the other way, right? Can't just be that no officials ever took notice and the firms simply take a chance and "get away with it"...

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Won a coin back in Nov. 2019 with an Italian auction house. I was informed that I would
    need an "Export License". Repeated delays for overwhelmed work load at the government
    office. Then Covid 19 hits and there is a stand still. As of today still no coin. All this for a 500 year
    old German coin won in an auction in Italy. Yes they are a major Italian auction house.

Standard for me is a 3 month wait for items from Italy. The auction house is hopefully handling the export license for you. Hopefully you aren't buying Roman ancients as I imagine that could take a fair bit longer than the US branch mint gold or the Spanish Colonials I have bought out of Italy.

• Options

I have a package from Australia that is 2 months now in route and finally is in the LA clearance enter.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I have a package from Australia that is 2 months now in route and finally is in the LA clearance enter.

At least you have movement. Australia is even having issues shipping to New Zealand. Air Express eventually went by ship. They do not have issues shipping to Hong Kong - go figure. I'm at a month now and waiting for some movement.

Hope your wait is worth the coin - anything special?

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@Boosibri said:

At least you have movement. Australia is even having issues shipping to New Zealand. Air Express eventually went by ship. They do not have issues shipping to Hong Kong - go figure. I'm at a month now and waiting for some movement.

Nothing too special. Ferdinand VII 8R in 62 with what seemed like good color. How about you?

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Exbrit said:

@Boosibri said:

Nothing too special. Ferdinand VII 8R in 62 with what seemed like good color. How about you?

common Soveriegn - Ch/UNC - hole filler.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri Yes, the auction company is handling the export license. Initially, they said
    it could take 6 weeks to obtain. Even with the Christmas holidays that would have placed
    the time frame to January 31. The piece is a German goldgulden with the date 1498. What
    really bothers me is that other collectors who won Medieval coins from other auction houses
    are enjoying their treasures in hand from the same time.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered something from Gorny and Mosch via MA-Shops. Got a text stating DHL estimated delivery Jun 1! Pretty fast.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good. But please advise when you finally have it in hand.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

I had a book shipment from Ireland arrive today. Took a week.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    Sounds good. But please advise when you finally have it in hand.

Arrived today - record speed! Newp wildman!

My current "Box of 20"