Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Ferdinand I (1521-64) Walzentaler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

ND (ca. 1574-1575) Ferdinand I (1521-64) Taler. Hall Mint. Posthumously struck coinage. DAV-8030. Obv: Crowned, armored and bearded half-length figure, (with elderly features) right, holding sword and scepter. Rev: Single headed heraldic eagle left, with shield including Austrian (stripes of Hapsburg) and Spanish (castle of Castile) arms. A rolling-dies mint was introduced in Austria during the rule of Ferdinand II (after 1564), which led previously to the wrong conclusion, that this rare type is a posthumous strike. Due to further research and numismatic discussions, the origin of the so called "Walzentaler" ("rolling-dies thaler") became more likely to be Augsburg, where the Emperor spent few more few months (January 1555 - September 1555). A nice specimen of this rare type, with raising popularity, especially after the discovery of its German-City-Mint origin!. Superb condition for this rare type. PCGS MS-64.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

How the devil is this only a MS64?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

I do not have it in hand yet due to Covid-19 constraints, yet among the finest I have come across. These are minted differently than later issues and are not always apples to apples in grading scale.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool backstory to go with an awesome coin like this. I wonder if my brother knows of the German origin.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome!

• Options
    jimhopkins1919jimhopkins1919 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

That’s a beauty!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks as always for sharing.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2020 8:27AM

Congrats...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful condition for a piece like this! Congratulations.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful addition Z. Tough piece. I think early-date talers are underappreciated.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Stunning detail! Definitely one of my favorite designs

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    marvinfmarvinf Posts: 45 ✭✭

@Zohar said:
    ND (ca. 1574-1575) Ferdinand I (1521-64) Taler. Hall Mint. Posthumously struck coinage. DAV-8030. Obv: Crowned, armored and bearded half-length figure, (with elderly features) right, holding sword and scepter. Rev: Single headed heraldic eagle left, with shield including Austrian (stripes of Hapsburg) and Spanish (castle of Castile) arms. A rolling-dies mint was introduced in Austria during the rule of Ferdinand II (after 1564), which led previously to the wrong conclusion, that this rare type is a posthumous strike. Due to further research and numismatic discussions, the origin of the so called "Walzentaler" ("rolling-dies thaler") became more likely to be Augsburg, where the Emperor spent few more few months (January 1555 - September 1555). A nice specimen of this rare type, with raising popularity, especially after the discovery of its German-City-Mint origin!. Superb condition for this rare type. PCGS MS-64.

Hi Zohar.
    I have the finest known (possibly) NGC MS-65.

Marv

• Options

Moser and Tursky give a detailed scientific analysis of this coin and documentation surrounding the Hall mint proving conclusively that this is a posthumous striking to the older Ferdinand I standard by Ferdinand's son. It was struck in Hall not Augsburg.
    See this link for the document (in German):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4xjhlpb4pphvij/Walzen Taler.pdf?dl=0

• Options

The last sentence in the document gives the following conclusion:
    "After 400 years, the 'Augsburger Walzentaler' are therefor for the first time finally identified as Hall mint strikings from the years 1573-1576"

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is exceptionally nice.

• Options