Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1851 San Francisco Territorial Double Eagle

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 22, 2020 7:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this 1851 double eagle which I think looks great. A beautiful San Francisco piece!

This is the finest known specimen and from the Tree Leaf Collection.

The theory is that these were struck in Birmingham, England.

Were these struck by Ralph Heaton II of Heaton's Mint? Is there any information on if these were commissioned or just done by Ralph?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice indeed...Great design, and gold....What is the significance of the 'screamer'....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Very, very nice indeed...Great design, and gold....What is the significance of the 'screamer'....Cheers, RickO

The head of the Gorgon Medusa, which was presented to Athena by Perseus after he slew it. Apparently she wore it afterwards.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway ...Thank you sir, I will do a bit of reading on that...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an incredibly beautiful reverse.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting coin. It has a reeded edge so no MM anywhere that I can see. Hope the owner didn't buy it thinking it was gold. (I know I would have).

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2020 5:27AM

@PhillyJoe said:
    Very interesting coin. It has a reeded edge so no MM anywhere that I can see. Hope the owner didn't buy it thinking it was gold. (I know I would have).

Hopefully the buyers know what it is. It's pretty pricey and way more than melt given that it's gilt silver.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Beautiful!

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE !!!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my all time favorites 👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Dan Carr! He needs to. see this one as inspiration....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2020 11:31PM
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early photoshopped waist? :)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty of a coin. Not familiar with gold. but those are fancy 1's in the date.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2020 6:57AM

I'm assuming it was struck multiple times to bring up the detail. It looks like one of them was not aligned properly. That just adds to its coolness, if that's the case.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2020 7:20AM

@OriginalDan said:
    Can someone explain to me why this would go for $26k? I don’t get it. Not real gold, not made in California, not even clear who made it. It’s pretty, sure, but to me it looks like a sub $1k token.

For my $26k I’d find a nice Kellogg $20 or possibly a lower grade $50 slug with nice original surfaces. Something with real gold and real history connected to the gold rush.

We have a few people here who collect territorials. Perhaps they can answer?

I will say that this non-Hawaii Hawaii piece sold for $200,000 in 2012 and it seems a lot of people have issues with that price as well. It was offered for $450,999 in 2015. At least this one is gold.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/949892/the-grand-prize-of-hawaiian-numismatics-reginald-huth-gold

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top Drawer piece. Great historic $20 Gold.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@OriginalDan said:
    Can someone explain to me why this would go for $26k? I don’t get it. Not real gold, not made in California, not even clear who made it. It’s pretty, sure, but to me it looks like a sub $1k token.

For my $26k I’d find a nice Kellogg $20 or possibly a lower grade $50 slug with nice original surfaces. Something with real gold and real history connected to the gold rush.

I will say that this non-Hawaii Hawaii piece sold for $200,000 in 2012 and it seems a lot of people have issues with that price as well. It was offered for $450,999 in 2015. At least this one is gold.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/949892/the-grand-prize-of-hawaiian-numismatics-reginald-huth-gold

I collect pioneer gold so I’m one of those people, and I don’t understand the price paid.

• Options

@OriginalDan said:

“The Law of Supply and Demand!”

Violate it at your peril.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2020 9:08AM

@OriginalDan said:

@Zoins said:

@OriginalDan said:

I collect pioneer gold so I’m one of those people, and I don’t understand the price paid.

I’m guessing the people that want this already have nicer more common pieces and want something more rare, or just want something more rare.

It’s still a lot less than the 2001 restrikes of the 1855 Humbert slug that have sold for $70,000.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is the significance of "territorial"? California was a State in 1850, no longer a territory in 1851.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin

• Options
    edited May 22, 2020 4:30PM

@AUandAG said:
    Why is the significance of "territorial"? California was a State in 1850, no longer a territory in 1851.

Well, it's certain not a US federal coin.

Perhaps it's a California State pattern coin!

On a more serious note, it is collected and cataloged with territorial coins, hence the Kagin-4 catalog number.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

I don’t know that anyone knows the full history of these coins. With the right story, it could make the coin seem really cheap at 25K.

Anyway, to answer the question, it’s expensive because it’s collected as part of a series in which even the common coins are worth thousands in low grade, and six figure coins abound. In other words, to collectors of Pioneer Gold, 25K is no big deal.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I suspect people think it is > @MrEureka said:

@OriginalDan said:

I don’t know that anyone knows the full history of these coins. With the right story, it could make the coin seem really cheap at 25K.

Anyway, to answer the question, it’s expensive because it’s collected as part of a series in which even the common coins are worth thousands in low grade, and six figure coins abound. In other words, to collectors of Pioneer Gold, 25K is no big deal.

I get what you're saying Andy, I guess I just don't understand the draw. It's a totally different thing than a Moffat, Wass, Humbert, U.S. Assay...etc.

• Options

@AUandAG said:

That is a damn good question.

As Mr. Eureka says, it is probably common usage based upon where California gold is lumped (no pun intended) in the Redbook. Everything in the Redbook before the 1793 Half Cent used to be lumped together as “Colonial,” but they have been greatly refined in recent years.

• Options

Some say "territorial" others say "pioneer". I like the latter.

• Options

Went and looked at the title of the section: "Private and Territorial Gold." Fairly inclusive, and it covers the Templeton Reid and Bechtler gold pieces which were also struck in states rather than territories, as was the case with most "California gold."

There is still some ambiguity. "Private" gold was struck by a private individual or firm, but "Territorial" gold was not struck by the Territories, except for Deseret.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, "sweet" !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

How many of these are known?

I can only find this one online, NGC Census shows 1 and PCGS shows none.

Is this unique?

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2020 7:44AM

@OriginalDan I see a lot of parallels to the Continental Dollar-sized tokens here

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    @OriginalDan I see a lot of parallels to the Continental Dollar-sized tokens here

Let's see here...

possibly made in England, but no one really knows - check
    people pay large sums of money despite unknown origins - check

I'd say yep.

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Fred T Huddard (1864-1919)
    Spent his life in SF Past President of the Pacific Coast Numismatic Society
    had a set of these pieces. Source fellow member Edgar H Adams
    Private Gold Coinage Book
    I don’t know where Huddard got them from...Pedigree
    Very beautiful piece

• Options

It’s hard to do online research with a cell phone...Looks like Charles P Britton Sale Jan 29th 1883 sale had a set of these pieces
    Lot 400 very rare silver patterns
    Only set the cataloguer has ever seen Cogan $20, $10, $5, $2 1/2
    Think the set sold for $52.50

• Options
    4BR4BR Posts: 13

1851 San Francisco Territorial Double Eagle, that coin is incredible, thanks for posting the images. Hopefully Moonlight Mint / Carr, or some other private mint would make a high quality re-strike in silver, I love that design!

• Options

Bangs Merwin & Co. NY
    Year 1863
    No 2204
    No 2205
    Under patterns
    pg. 95
    They have the twenty dollar and half eagle pieces both in copper
    Described as proof

• Options

@4BR said:
    1851 San Francisco Territorial Double Eagle, that coin is incredible, thanks for posting the images. Hopefully Moonlight Mint / Carr, or some other private mint would make a high quality re-strike in silver, I love that design!

Can’t do a restrike without the original dies.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg had a full set of silver patterns that sold for $27,500 in 1996. Catalog states that less than half-a-dozen sets existed.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options

@JesseKraft said:
    Eliasberg had a full set of silver patterns that sold for $27,500 in 1996. Catalog states that less than half-a-dozen sets existed.

Nice! I should call his collection the Eliasberg Everywhere collection!

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@4BR said:

If you were to make copy dies and strike reproductions from them, you would be absolutely required by law (see the Hobby Protection Act of 1973 and subsequent amendments) to stamp them with the word COPY in accordance with the style, size and depth requirements of the HPA.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2020 11:53AM

@AUandAG said:

Thanks for asking as the responses have been enlightening.

FWIW the first $20 gold piece minted in America for general circulation was dated just a year or two earlier- The $20 Mormon Gold Piece was minted by Brigham Young in Salt Lake City. It contained California Gold Rush gold of which some was likely sourced from Sutter’s Mill itself as Mormon workers there were involved in the discovery. (They had just been released from their service in The Mormon Battalion for the U.S. Government.)

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price seems reasonable when you remember someone paid $91 million for this rabbit sculpture

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2020 12:51PM

@CaptHenway said:

@CaptHenway said:

@4BR said:

If you were to make copy dies and strike reproductions from them, you would be absolutely required by law (see the Hobby Protection Act of 1973 and subsequent amendments) to stamp them with the word COPY in accordance with the style, size and depth requirements of the HPA.

Companies are increasingly choosing alternative means of complying with the Hobby Protection Act, specifically by making changes to the design that are often less obtrusive, and more market acceptable, than the COPY word. For example, the Smithsonian added a "SI" mintmark on their copy Confederate Cents to eliminate the need for the COPY text.

Some copy coins from before the Hobby Protection Act already employ this method of identification such as the Henry Evans copies of the Massachusetts cent and the Bolen Bar Cent (where the devices are different).

• Options
    edited May 24, 2020 12:11PM

Thanks to @CaptainBlunt and @JesseKraft for references to other specimens.

It's amazing in this day and age that there are entire types like this that aren't slabbed by PCGS, with or without TrueViews.

• Options

Is there any information available on the Tree Leaf Collection?

Is it well known? What other pieces are in it?

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@AUandAG said:

Thanks for asking as the responses have been enlightening.

FWIW the first $20 gold piece minted in America for general circulation was dated just a year or two earlier- The $20 Mormon Gold Piece was minted by Brigham Young in Salt Lake City. It contained California Gold Rush gold of which some was likely sourced from Sutter’s Mill itself as Mormon workers there were involved in the discovery. (They had just been released from their service in The Mormon Battalion for the U.S. Government.)

I should add that the $20 Mormon Gold coin minted in 1849 is pricey as well. Approximately only two dozen are known to exist with the finest being a PCGS MS62 found in a box after five decades. Prior to its discovery one in a NGC holder sold for over half a million dollars.

I will just have to be content with my 1849 $5 Mormon Gold Piece from that same first year and my 1860 $5 Mormon Gold Piece that features the Lion design and inscriptions in the Deseret Alphabet that Brigham Young had introduced as a common written language for the many varied immigrants who found English challenging.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file