Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1960-D DDO SM/LG FS-101 w/ DIE CHIPS?!???

Seen one like this before? Definite doubling....maybe later die state or what's the deal??.......any words of wisdom? :)

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not a DDO (check the CPG)...It does look like some die chips... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020 5:01AM

Die chips, yes- very common on cents from this era. No DDO that I can see from the photo. Your coin is a small date. The inner point of the 6 always looks doubled on small date coins, if that's what you're seeing, because that's on the hub. The variety you describe will look like a large date, because the die was hubbed first with a large date style die. The variety will easily visible on the zero, as the smaller zero on top of the larger one is plainly visible, even on low grade or late die state coins. Also, for it to be the RPM that goes with the small/large date, the repunched mintmark is going in the wrong direction on your coin. Remember- varieties are all struck by the same die, and aside from minor variations due to die stages, should be identical. Here's the Variety Vista page for the variety- this is a great site for attributing varieties, if you aren't already using it:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1960DDDO001.htm

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    Die chips, yes- very common on cents from this era. No DDO that I can see from the photo. Your coin is a small date. The inner point of the 6 always looks doubled on small date coins, if that's what you're seeing, because that's on the hub. The variety you describe will look like a large date, because the die was hubbed first with a large date style die. The variety will easily visible on the zero, as the smaller zero on top of the larger one is plainly visible, even on low grade or late die state coins. Also, for it to be the RPM that goes with the small/large date, the repunched mintmark is going in the wrong direction on your coin. Remember- varieties are all struck by the same die, and aside from minor variations due to die stages, should be identical. Here's the Variety Vista page for the variety- this is a great site for attributing varieties, if you aren't already using it:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1960DDDO001.htm

Okay, but what variety is it then?! That's doubling on "LIBERTY" for sure.......

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe MD? :/

If you are going to scrutinize your coins that closely you will need to become very familiar with machine/mechanical doubling.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty is showing DDD or MD imo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2020 9:12PM

I think that the propensity for that die chipping in the date was a major factor in changing from the small date to the large date.

• Options
    NomaderNomader Posts: 120 ✭✭

Very good Pics!!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI-This is an image, courtesy of VarietyVista, of the 1960-D Sm/Lg date Lincoln. Note the strong repunched Mint mark.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to error-ref.com and scroll down to machine doubling. You need to know this. Makes you a better collector. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Nice pics!

Nice pics!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont see any small date ddo via varietyvista. other organizations may have some listed.

liberty shows something but your images are inconclusive imo. nice but not enough to make a good decision.

somethign going on? die erosion? most likely considering the die chip state of the date.

keep hunting!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file