Home U.S. Coin Forum

My First PCGS Submission - Interesting "No Grades" FINAL UPDATE 6/12

mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 12, 2020 11:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am rewriting this post and chopping out some unnecessary details since I have updated it several times.

Here are the coins I submitted:

-1842 Seated Dollar (purchased as AU Details): Returned as Code 86 - Authenticity Unverifiable
-1878-CC Morgan Dollar (purchased as 63PL): Returned as Code 98 - Damage - Wheel Mark (UNC Details)
-1904 $2.5 Liberty Gold (purchased as an UNC): Returned as MS63

Please take a look at the photos below and help me with the remaining questions that I have regarding these coins. Where do wheel marks come from- a coin counting machine? Also, where on the coin are they seeing the wheel mark? Upon closer inspection there appears to be a suspiciously straight scratch in the hair above the ear. That is all I am seeing.

Any thoughts regarding the authenticity of the Seated Dollar? As I mentioned in a previous edit of this post, it was purchased from a reputable B&M at the same time I purchased the Morgan.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck with your submission, Please be sure to let us know once grades are posted. Cheers, RickO

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck please update this thread with your results, it will be interesting to see the PCGS opinion.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2020 10:20AM

Good Luck in your quest! I do love that PL appearance on the CC. Hope the rev. Looks as good as the obv. Waiting for your coins is just one of the fun aspect in this Hobby of Kings, isn't it? Lol :)
    Forgot to mention, I too, am waiting for my recent acquisition.
    Come to think of it, this might be my first acquisition to our host? My other was from across the street (NGC). I've been thinking about pulling the trigger to join PCGS's Club, but up until now, really didn't want to spend the money. Maybe after this has settled? Here is my coin waiting to come home to me.lol Hopefully in the next 2 weeks?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. It will be fun to watch the progress.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grades in, your thoughts would be much appreciated

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad on the body bags.

Many happy BST transactions
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcarney1173 said:
    Grades in, your thoughts would be much appreciated

Reverse images might help, but...

When I glanced at the 1842 $1, it looked off to me, though I was at least open to the possibility that it could be genuine. I’m surprised that PCGS didn’t make the sight-seen call, one way or another.

I can’t tell if the lighter areas of the 1878-CC’s rim represent problems or if it’s just the lighting. Again, reverse images might help.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this, No way to tell from the smaller pics.

Trade $'s
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw coins are risky. Sorry your results were not better.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 1878CC has rim/edge damage like it had been in a bezel or something

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS seems to be handing out code 86s like candy on Trade Dollars lately, never seen anything like it before. This is the first recent example I’ve seen it used on a seated dollar.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Raw coins are risky. Sorry your results were not better.

Totally agree. I had a few small winners but a lot of big losers in my raw coin submission days....

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

RE: Any thoughts on the 86 and 98 codes?

Yes, you cannot grade.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much risk on those coins, have had similar experiences. On Seated dollars there is a large spread between problems and decent AUs, not worth the risk, the same could be said of Trade dollars. 78-cc dollars really aren't worth more than $300-$350 unless they are 63-64 once they straight grade as Uncs.. Consider the grading and shipping costs, this is a big gamble. Many shop and show dealers are looking for optimistic buyers especially in these times.

@PQueue said:
    RE: Any thoughts on the 86 and 98 codes?

Yes, you cannot grade.

It’s not my job to grade, that’s for the professionals i.e. PCGS.

The 86 code has nothing to do with “grading” but rather authentication and that is exactly why third-party grading services exist.

My prediction prior to submitting the coins was that the Morgan was UNC (which was correct) and I guessed the numerical grade on the quarter eagle exactly right (MS63).

Another member mentioned that the 86 is a common No-grade on 19th century dollars and I would never assert that those members cannot grade.

Let’s hear a guess from you on what the damage is on the Morgan. Right now it is completely unknown what the damage is so no one has guessed what it is definitively.

Am I missing the point of what a discussion should look like on the forum?

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

The damage on the 78-CC seems to be the obverse rim above PLURIBUS. It's too wide, and the denticles are too short. Maybe the rim was filed.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Too much risk on those coins, have had similar experiences. On Seated dollars there is a large spread between problems and decent AUs, not worth the risk, the same could be said of Trade dollars.

You should see the spread between real and fake ones. :)

Final update with better images posted and the reasoning for the details grade on the Morgan. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression on the Morgan dollar was that the wheel damage was under or in E PLURIBUS UNUM on the obverse, but then the reverse seems likely to be a better candidate with the marks around 10:00-11:00 on the wingtip and to the edge.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thought on the Seated Dollar:

"Unverifiable" seems like a cop-out. Normally, PCGS should be able to give a thumbs-up, or down, unless there is significant damage, it would seem.

Looking at the new pictures, it almost looks like some sort of putty, or chalky substance, on the surfaces? Could that be significant enough to mask the surfaces, and make them unsure of the authenticity?

Just thinking out loud....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea although the area that Tom pointed out does look like a possible issue. If you have the ability to make it to a large show in the future where PCGS is providing their ask an expert feature you should take these and see if any further info can be offered.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file