Home Precious Metals
Options

Best way to ship a "monster box?"

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta get serious about selling a 2016 sealed monster box.
Never shipped one and the local guy who had any capital has died.
Info?
:)

Comments

• Options

Guess I should call Apmex. Somehow they're pricing 2016s at 30 bucks.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 8:43AM

@topstuf said:
    Guess I should call Apmex. Somehow they're pricing 2016s at 30 bucks.

Let us know what they offer you. That should tell us a lot about APMEX. I'm guessing shipping will be fairly expensive. Are there any bullion dealers within a reasonable driving distance from you that would be interested in buying your monster box?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

The best guy (and a former competitor) died this year. We each had the capital to handle large bullion deals.
    There's one I'll call tomorrow. Jeez, I hate silver.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 10:09AM

Cheapest way to ship is by removing the tubes and using flat rate priority box with registered service. Only time a sealed box is important to me is if I plan on submitting them for grading. If this is acceptable to your buyer and he insist on having the empty box as well, it can always be shipped separately at a cheap parcel rate.

Jeez, I love silver. Ship it to me.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

We ship hundreds of packages a day out of our warehouse. For strapped monster boxes we have a specific heavy duty cardboard box they drop right into. Hit all the edges with wide strapping tape, over that goes a layer of wet paper tape with tamper evident fibers, then a quick hit with brown packaging tape. Takes under 10 minutes per package of this type once you get it down. Most thing we ship out are all double boxed, inner box just gets strapping tape, outer gets the whole works.

• Options

@Jinx86 said:
    We ship hundreds of packages a day out of our warehouse. For strapped monster boxes we have a specific heavy duty cardboard box they drop right into. Hit all the edges with wide strapping tape, over that goes a layer of wet paper tape with tamper evident fibers, then a quick hit with brown packaging tape. Takes under 10 minutes per package of this type once you get it down. Most thing we ship out are all double boxed, inner box just gets strapping tape, outer gets the whole works.

and your method of shipping and its approx. cost? Does this include insurance or do you use private insurance.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2020 11:00AM

@derryb said:
    Cheapest way to ship is by removing the tubes and using flat rate priority box with registered service. Only time a sealed box is important to me is if I plan on submitting them for grading. If this is acceptable to your buyer and he insist on having the empty box as well, it can always be shipped separately at a cheap parcel rate.

That sounds feasible. If there's no advantage to a strapped seal, I'll inquire. :)

Isn't flat rate priority insurance limit $5000?

• Options

@topstuf said:
    If there's no advantage to a strapped seal, I'll inquire. :)

Some buyers need the seal as a "certificate of authenticity," but a knowledgeable ASE buyer can look at the actual coins and determine authenticity.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Jinx86 said:

and your method of shipping and its approx. cost? Does this include insurance or do you use private insurance.

Ive never had to calculate cost, I would assume in the 35-45 range. As for insurance its all covered by our companies private insurance.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

buy private insurance

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    buy private insurance

to ship one monster box?

• Options

Ah, the joys of silver.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a lot of hassles, yup, try selling it locally, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

List the rolls on the BST....they will disappear quickly....add shipping....Problem solved. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    List the rolls on the BST....they will disappear quickly....add shipping....Problem solved. ;) Cheers, RickO

Too much work to sell them one roll at a time. It wouldn't hurt to put them on the BST for local pick up only.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point @PerryHall ... Not being a seller, I did not consider that aspect. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@derryb said:

That sounds feasible. If there's no advantage to a strapped seal, I'll inquire. :)

Isn't flat rate priority insurance limit $5000?

Personally I wouldn’t run this by the buyer. If I have a customer dropping 10 grand plus on my product, I would give him exactly what he is purchasing....a sealed monster box. If I didn’t factor the correct shipping dollar amount in my quote, I would absorb the overage.

• Options

Ich vill be keepink dis shiny crapsch. :D
    Howefferer.... it vass very amusink to see vot der BID price vass on der junken. >:)
    Ich vill shtick to mein goot polischy uff neffer buying silber neffer.

Sutch a dumkopf Ich vas! :s

Silber ist kaputen!!!! :D

• Options

It does serve a purpose though.
    My gun safe is a bit top heavy.
    This green building material balances it nicely. :)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

and...…?
    You called Apmex by now and they have offered ….. ???

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

I don't think he was ever serious about selling his monster box of ASE's. :D

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

what was the bid and who offered it?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    I don't think he was ever serious about selling his monster box of ASE's. :D

Stick it, bozo!
    Dumb thing to insinuate.

• Options

Call Ap> @Bochiman said:

and...…?
    You called Apmex by now and they have offered ….. ???

Call them. Worth a laugh. :D

• Options
    edited May 11, 2020 3:09PM

$19 ...... paid HERE

NO SHIPPING
    and it belongs to whoever shows up.

NO PARTIALS

Sacramento area

(or you can pay the Apmex price)

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Let us know what they offer you. That should tell us a lot about APMEX. I'm guessing shipping will be fairly expensive. Are there any bullion dealers within a reasonable driving distance from you that would be interested in buying your monster box?

SPOT + $1

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

@PerryHall said:

SPOT + $1

Where did YOU find Santa Claus? :D

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard APMEX offers spot+$1. This has been their standard offer for years.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2020 8:08PM

@topstuf said:
    ****$19 **...... paid **HERE****

NO SHIPPING

NO PARTIALS

Sacramento area

I'll take all 500+box for $19 B)
    mmmmkay? Thanks ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Scotsman is paying spot + $3.00 ?
    [I've never dealt with them]

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you sell to one of the big guys, I would think they would give you exact packing instructions and send you a pre-paid shipping label.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    KSKKSK Posts: 6

I called Apmex a few weeks ago to check their buy quotes. I was just checking out of curiosity. They offered spot +1$ on a sealed monster box of 2018's Eagles that I purchased from them back in 18. Seeing they are asking around spot +$10 or more, I thought I would give it a try. I was disappointed to say the least.

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 297 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2016 Monster Box about a year ago from BST. It was sent Registered Mail and the seller told me I would get it on a certain day. I took the day off so my wife didn't have to carry a 45 pound package into the house. It never showed up and took another 6 days to arrive. I did Not know that registered mail is not guaranteed to arrive on the day they say. The seller should have told me that. I do remember that the postage was over $90 bucks.

MIKE B.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2020 7:53PM

@Mike59 said:
    I bought a 2016 Monster Box about a year ago from BST. It was sent Registered Mail and the seller told me I would get it on a certain day. I took the day off so my wife didn't have to carry a 45 pound package into the house. It never showed up and took another 6 days to arrive. I did Not know that registered mail is not guaranteed to arrive on the day they say. The seller should have told me that. I do remember that the postage was over $90 bucks.

Registered mail is an added service to either first class mail or priority mail, both of which are based on weight. Their tracking program estimates delivery for either of the two and DOES NOT take into account the added time for the registered mail security measures. Registered mail normally takes 5-10 days.

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 297 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Mike59 said:

Registered mail is an added service to either first class mail or priority mail, both of which are based on weight. Their tracking program estimates delivery for either of the two and DOES NOT take into account the added time for the registered mail security measures. Registered mail normally takes 5-10 days.

I know that now but the seller didn't tell me that last year. This wasn't a deal for a $500 coin, it was many thousands of dollars from a stranger. I was counting on his information since I didn't know. At the very end of the wait I started getting annoyed and the seller stopped responding to my emails. Wouldn't buy from him again.
    Funny thing is that after that deal I have not seen the seller on this message boards until Today a year after or transactions AND the thread was started: Tells me in life "there are no coincidences"

MIKE B.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPS insured to me. It'd be the best way for both of us.

• Options

it is my understanding UPS nor FEDEX will insure bullion.

• Options

@derryb said:

Did you forget "not" after "will"?

• Options
    edited May 15, 2020 6:16AM

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:

Did you forget "not" after "will"?

How about - it is my understanding UPS or FEDEX will not insure bullion.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    $19 ...... paid HERE

NO SHIPPING

NO PARTIALS

Sacramento area

(or you can pay the Apmex price)

This is probably the only time I wish I lived in CA - great deal

• Options

Today it would be $21 :)

• Options

Still have your monster box?

• Options

Possible trade pending.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Looks like Scotsman is paying spot + $3.00 ?
    [I've never dealt with them]

I've had a lot of dealing with Apmex over the years, top notch buyer.

Scotsman never seemed to offer strong. JM Bullion usually offers more, but I found Apmex better to deal with.

Priority mail was the choice I made in the past. I have seen careless delivery services leave unattended monster boxes at the foot of the door outside coin dealers, etc.. These premiums won't last imo though silver may spike. Apmex was paying strong for proof 90% half dollars too.