Home Metal Detecting

The water is high you say?

Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2020 6:05PM in Metal Detecting

Went detecting at a friends property 3 miles from Manassas National Battlefield Park.

He lives on top of Bull Run.

Have to cross the water to get to majority of his property and this is after one of the raniest springs on record and it had stormed the night before...

Anyway, I only found a horseshoe, but I know there are relics there... River was high, woods were thick and the cleared field was full of tall
Scrub and made swinging the detector impossible. Going to regroup and head back out there after we’ve had a dry week or two so I can hunt closer to the Bull Run.

Headed to a promising spot in Fairfax Station on Saturday. Will post results.

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would make it to the edge of that creek and retreat. How long did you detect in those wet cloths and shoes

• Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2020 6:08PM

Got there and crossed the river at 9:30, then searched soaking wet until about 2.

Then I crossed again and drove home in dripping wet jeans.

The sun was out and hot so it wasn’t all that bad.

It would have been better if I had found something more than a horseshoe, but a horseshoe is better than nothing.

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... True dedication....That water crossing would have stopped me...Good luck on your next trip, and wear a wet suit.... :D Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would a weed wacker make the cleared field detectable?
    Good luck.

RickO, I wasn’t informed that the Bull Run was basically the Mississippi River on that day until I was about 5 minutes away. He told me I wouldn't get washed away but I would be wet. I could live with that ha! The thing I was most concerned about was my phone... I fell a few times and my arm sticking up holding my phone was all you would have seen ha!

No Headlights, a weed walker would help. I plan to bring a machete next time and see if I can clear some of the thorn bushes/brush/baby trees in spots.

My friend who owns the land hunts turkeys in this field, so he wouldn’t want to go through it with a bush hog or anything... he wants the turkeys environment in tact, which I can appreciate. It’s a massive area though so I could clear some of the space.

I’m not giving up on this spot though... with the proximity to Manassas Battlefield, there HAS to be stuff there. Just gotta figure out how to get to it.

Good luck. I’m jealous. Not many Civil War areas in Iowa. I did just purchase a second home in Tennessee. So now I need to do some research and find a metal detector buddy.

You might be pleasantly surprised in TN, depending on where you’re going to be!

Best of luck to you!

I usually just coinshoot, but would like to try. I’m way East in the state, just a short drive from North Carolina

Battle of Chicamauga was in southeastern TN...

@Td337...Yes, there are likely things to be found there.... even if not the site of a major battle, there were skirmishes and encampments all through there....Good luck... Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

How high's the water Mama? 3 Ft. high and rising.......
    Nice expedition!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @Ricko stated...................TRUE DEDICATION to cross that water.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

I visited the site referenced in an above post, in Fairfax Station, VA.

I have maps of registered Civil War “sites” and I had high hopes for this one, but it turns out it was an old house which had fallen to the ground.

I can confirm that there was once a house because I found basically all the furnishings, including the completely in tact inside of a mattress. I found the metal headboard and footboard also. Weird.

There may be good stuff at the site but unfortunately I will have to get through the 10 inch layer of trash from the house before I get to it.

There were some super cool old bottles from the 30’s 40’s and 50’s though, which was neat.

Site cleanup (as you have described) takes considerable work, and one never knows what the reward will be.... Could be great, or, could be zero....Hunting old homesteads in the mountains here, I can attest that most are zero. Cheers, RickO

Visited a favorite site in Fairfax City, VA about 10 minutes from my house.

Came away with a nice musket ball and a brass rivet. This is my first rivet, so I’m pretty happy.

Second musket ball I’ve found at this site.

Nice finds... I recall attending the '56 Boy Scouts National Jamboree at Valley Forge, PA... and a couple of lucky scouts found musket balls while pitching their tents. Cheers, RickO

Went back to the same place tonight and found a flattened Minie Ball! Pretty cool!

Wonder what happened to it???

Wow...nice find and good question....One of two things... flattened to use for some application in the field - though ammunition was often scarce, so not likely.... or, got crushed by some vehicle....Just my ideas...Cheers, RickO