Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 D Morgan die crack ..... im calling shooting star Morgan

So here is some images of my special to me Morgan Silver Dollar, I have had this coin since I was in my 20s it was passed to me by a friends father who was a coin collector and passed. the coin came with a note saying with worth a lot of money $23,000 -$60,000 worth but I researched and researched and to what I found its nothing special in the coin community unless Im missing something that he knew about that I dont. but I did throw it under a USB microscope and found last week that id did have a cool die crack that runs through some stars. I been wanting to send it in to get it checked but don't want to waste to much money to find out it is exactly what I have researched it to be and thats another standard 1921 D morgan with just silver value. Also did come across some stories about special 1921 morgans but I dont know if its one of those.

Maybe someone can feed me some information on it .....should I send it in? or just keep it in its case. I am not looking to sell it due the the sentimental value. Just get some insight on it.

Comments

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Great pictures, but it was common for the 1921 Morgans to have a die crack running through the stars some went all the way around the complete line of stars which are really cool ! Great to have a coin that is special to you. keep it and yourself safe!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

In MS 67 it would be worth about 23,500. Still nice the way you acquired the coin.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a standard 1921D Morgan...For you, the value is in the personal connection. You could send it in, it is not very expensive, but the slab will protect it. Keep it with the note you received. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file