Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1993 D Lincoln lamination error.....

I been holding onto this coin for some time, found it in some pocket change thought it was kinda crazy looking seeing the reverse side was silver, thought for some time it was paint until I took a closer look and notice that the Copper coating was pilling off the zinc interior. I thought it was a nice find what's your outlook?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, copper plating peeling...not a delamination, since the coin is not laminated - it is plated. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree with @ricko

I copied this short piece for you ... hopefully it will help you understand a little more.

Since mid-1982, cent planchets have been composed of zinc electroplated with copper. Errors associated with this process include plating that is absent, partial, blistered, cracked, peeling, excessively thick and abnormally thin. Cents struck on unplated zinc planchets are among the most sought-after plating mishaps, in part due to the dramatic color difference.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the plating peeled for the following reasons

There doesn't appear to be any remnants of partially adhered plating at the edges. I don't believe an 8-10 micron plating layer would peel off so perfectly as not to leave any trace pieces hanging on an edge

The copper looks like it has been exposed to the environment, but the exposed "zinc" is bright and shiny. Zn is reactive and I would expect the finish to be dull gray. I also believe that this explanation would eliminate the possibility of it being a partially plated planchet.

I'm guessing that it's something like a very thin coating of paint or solder, but not positive

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Kana808Kana808 Posts: 43 ✭✭

@Jimnight So its nothing special.....Damn I was thinking it was since the zinc was so shiny. I wish it was one of those sought after coins. lol oh well ill keep it for my collection since its abnormal to me.

• Options

I just love how the detail is just so crisp, I have come across a lot like this but normally you can tell its from wear and tear, this one really is unusual to me. since it clearly looks like the platting is coming off. plus I didn't mean to use delimitation as the term for the copper missing.

• Options

@Oldhoopster there is clearly pilling if you look above the N on the first image you can see the copper flap folded over where its super shiny. Im aware of zine and its oxidation to air im a chemical engineer by trade for water purification industry. so I deal with Oxidation a lot when it comes to metals. I was just struck that this coin has now been in my possession for at least 9 months and the zinc still has not tarnished due to the elements of being exposed.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2020 4:11PM

@Kana808 said:
    @Jimnight So its nothing special.....Damn I was thinking it was since the zinc was so shiny. I wish it was one of those sought after coins. lol oh well ill keep it for my collection since its abnormal to me.

I have a lot of nothing special finds I've been collecting for years. It's a nice find!

• Options

@Jimnight
    maybe one of these days our not so nothing special finds will become sought after finds. at least in the lincoln cent world when they finally make the move to remove the penny from circulation. but you know how that goes its been in talk for years now to do so.

• Options

@Kana808 said:
    ......... I was just struck that this coin has now been in my possession for at least 9 months and the zinc still has not tarnished due to the elements of being exposed.

Did the copper have the same toning as in your pic when you found it?

• Options

@oldhoopster
    yes the copper did have the same toning, When I found it I instantly knew it was the zinc showing. I have had it placed in a hard plastic cent case since I found it. If Its a coin I like I instantly put it into a hard round coin case. but I do know its the copper pilling off because you can clearly see the copper above the N in the photos rolled back onto its self.

• Options

@Kana808 said:
    @oldhoopster
    yes the copper did have the same toning, When I found it I instantly knew it was the zinc showing. I have had it placed in a hard plastic cent case since I found it. If Its a coin I like I instantly put it into a hard round coin case. but I do know its the copper pilling off because you can clearly see the copper above the N in the photos rolled back onto its self.

Any thoughts on why the copper has a lot of toning, but the zinc looks new?

• Options

@oldhoopster the only conclusion I could come up with is that maybe the thing had some kind of grease of oil on it. that could also be why the copper plating was able to fall off so easy. but like I said thats why I kept it. I wouldn't normally consider keeping a coin like it. but It could be because I kept it in a case also. but who knows...I thought about sending it in and having it graded just for kicks. but no matter what still a kinda crazy coin in my book and collection.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage. The copper plated zinc cents do not hold up well and can deteriorate in many different ways. Do not waste your money having a piece of junk like this sent in for grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth
    Yes so true, in the year of searching I have noticed that the quality and detail in the New Zinc plated cents are junk. I found coins from 50's and 60's that have better detail and quality over any newer zinc cents. even in very circulated conditions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file