Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nikon B500 Shadows from lens barrel in macro

FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

I used to take respectable coin photos with my 2007 model Sony S730, a copy stand, and a couple of 40w daylight lamps. Not had a coin sale since first weekend of March, I started contacting some old customers by email. There is much pent up demand, but naturally they would like to see photos. The Sony had been dropped one time too many on concrete, and one time dropped in the sand at Port Aransas was enough that the zoom made gritty noises...So I got a Nikon B500 a few years ago - a so-called bridge camera because they expected you to eventually upgrade to a digital camera with a mechanical mirror..
Love the camera, but taking some test photos of coins in the macro mode, that huge lens barrel extends all the way out and it must be much closer to the coin -- about 1 inch -- when the Sony could be 6 to 10 inches away. So the lens casts a shadow unless you aim the lights to shine almost sideways. And forget about slabbed coins.

I don't think there is a fix for the Nikon with a non-removable lens. I went so far as to buy a "new in box - old stock" Sony S730 on eBay for $40 --- the display was dead. And a nearby pawn shop had one "like new" for $7.50...it did seem new, but someone had tried to force a standard SD memory card into it and the contacts were ruined (they only accept Memory Stick Pro cards)

Then I have well-meaning friends telling me only an idiot would buy a standalone camera because the camera in their $1,250 Apple 11 pro plus plus has 20 gazillion pixels, plus you can do facetime and the camera makes you look like an animal, or a monster, or Satan....

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• Options

That is supposed to be a stock photo of the Nikon Coolpix B500, but it's a photo of the newer B600. I don't have a good camera to take a good photo of the Nikon (unless I wanted to roll my own 616 film)

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is typical of the long zoom range telephoto cameras with tiny sensors. Working distance for macro usually requires a dedicated macro lens or a closeup adapter.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2020 4:47PM

How about picking up a used Sony on Ebay? The ones I saw were all less than $75.
    Seems like that might get you going quickly for not much money. You can always upgrade later.

Edited to add: All my coin cameras and lens were purchased used. Very happy with what I have.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of those Cybershot cameras....somewhere... have not seen it in a long time...Maybe one of the grandkids has it...was a good camera....I just have never taken many pictures... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... lots of different cameras and lenses out there.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

It depends on your goals and budgets. Though your well meaning are likely correct that a higher end smartphone camera will likely be better than a $7.50 camera from a pawn shop.

If your goal is really nice pictures, then a used, lower end DSLR with used, entry level macro lens can be had for under $500, and maybe even closer to $300. If you goal is just something decent, an older point and shoot should work ok, but I would up the budget and not target a camera from 2007. You are likely to continue to experience problems like you are. But I imagine you can still get a P&S that is decent and not too old for under $100.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2020 10:06AM

Looks like your flushing good money down the drain. Been there done that.

Contact Ray
    http://www.macrocoins.com/

At least he can get you set up $300.00 or there abouts but he will work with you.

Or you can keep spending. I use a Cannon T6i a low cost DSLR. No more blowing money 💰 down the drain. Maybe a cheap Cannon Rebel DSLR?

I dropped a few of them too ALL because I did not use the wrist attachment. ;):*

In fact I just bought 2 of these for work only as they are AA Battery type Canon Powershot SX160 For $40.00 each. But NOT for coins for my work. But I destroy them at work but it’s a evil necessity. Plus I get paid to take pictures documenting our Construction progress.

• Options

Still looking around , trying to pay the bills, trying to not buy a new computer right now but the aftermarket battery I just bought for my 2013 Lenovo Thinkpad says "counterfeit battery detected" leaving me tethered to the power adapter hoping to save my work before the dog pulls the cable off. And wondering why my Sony camera takes pictures where "In God We Trust" doesn't even look like Roman letters!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using a tripod or stand in that photo? It looks like you have a slow shutter speed combined with some movement, or just plain out of focus. Are you using autofocus? Maybe there isn't enough light for it to work.
    Where do you sell coins online? I went to your website and didn't see anything about inventory.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

a BIG reason you see so many coins on ebay that are on edge (those little two pronged holders). Horizontal instead of vertical. Might find a way to try that method.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Followup: March 2021, Bob's Cameras, an Amazon seller from Broken Arrow, Okla., Listed this 2008 Sony camera NEW old stock for $24. I am happy.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My used DSLR body only was about 5 K.

Worth every penny.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Worth every penny.

1d series or Dx series? Just curious. At one time I considered a D4 but instead I’m using mirrorless in general and for my coin pics.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a simple point and shoot Nikon Coolpix with the the fixed (none removable) optical lens (4.5-135MM 1:3.7-6.4). I do use an inexpensive stand and the macro setting and set the self timer for 2 Sec to take the photo, There are options on the menu to set the area for focus & light metering weighting and white balancing as I do not use the auto feature, My challenge has always been lighting and reflections of the camera body off the slabs. I just ordered some Plastic / scratch removal product to try to polish some of the older scratch holders I saw recommended in the blog and the ANA e learning video for coin photography. I am making some progress I think ....

At some point I might break down and buy an upgrade camera and lens combo (maybe a used one) but for now I am ok with using this for my only photo library.

Good luck with your effort

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 2:45PM

Dusty, trusty old 15+ year old Kodak point and shoot DX7590 with threaded lens extension tube that takes a threaded +3 diopter filter for close up shooting. Picaso shareware. Uploads and charges from a docking base.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Worth every penny.

1d series or Dx series? Just curious. At one time I considered a D4 but instead I’m using mirrorless in general and for my coin pics.

Yes, it's a 1Ds I think. Super High resolution. Amazing things can be done in Photoshop with such a giant digital file.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file