Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 52 Topps Mantle?

Looking at making a deal this card but would love to hear the experts opinions here. It’s in a holder but I will not reveal who just yet. I would grade it a 1. Anything that looks off or potentially altered?
Thanks!

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you are posting about it you must not be totally sold on it. Take that as a sign and wait for one that comes around that really speaks to you.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Just trying to make sure I’m not missing anything.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

If its in a reputable holder then at least it's authentic. I think it has nice eye appeal as a 1. If its indeed real.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 7:33PM

I don’t like the font. The red text on the back bleeds into the surrounding gray areas. You see that on a lot of reprint cards. The real deal will have crisp colors. But it's already slabbed so what do I know.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Looks like a KSA holder. They are the real deal as far as authenticity goes. As far as grading, that's a different story.

• Options
    jayjones82jayjones82 Posts: 32 ✭✭

Authenticity looks good to me. Now, grade-wise...is that a pin or tack hole on the top left? Probably an "A", but it still presents fairly well.

• Options

@jayjones82 said:
    Authenticity looks good to me. Now, grade-wise...is that a pin or tack hole on the top left? Probably an "A", but it still presents fairly well.

Here’s a close up. Looks like a small hole that goes right through. Would this grade a 1 or is the damage enough to drop to Authentic?

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AnkurJ said:

@jayjones82 said:

Here’s a close up. Looks like a small hole that goes right through. Would this grade a 1 or is the damage enough to drop to Authentic?

The pin-hole makes it a PSA 1. Now something else could make it grade authentic but that pin-hole would not be the reason. That is assuming that it is the real deal to begin with.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2020 3:37PM

Looks like a ‘Type 1’ of the card which is fine but explains a bit of the flatness to the color and why the seams around the number on the back face left.

I would think it would be PSA 1 or PSA A (and for the registry, that’s the same thing - it counts as a 1.)

If the price is right and you can check it out in hand ahead of time I would say go for it. Better still would be to have the sale contingent on crossover to the company you choose and at your expense.

I don’t think I need to tell you which holder is most desirable and that it’s money well spent and mentally should be built into purchase price.

I would not have that card in any holder but the obvious one.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Extra help with the differences.

Type 1

Type 2

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Thanks everyone! Working on finalizing a deal. Obtained some history on the card as well which I will share once it’s in hand.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a blacklight with you.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

What's VCP on a PSA 1.5 Mantle?

Brian

• Options

Got it today! Very sharp card other than the obvious defects. This graded by KSA as a 2. I’ll be sending it to PSA. The grader at KSA told me it was from an original collection and the owner kept all his cards organized on key rings, so they all had these holes. The card was also handled by BMW cards.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

The card looks pretty good actually. Good job on grabbing one.

• Options

Congrats! Post the PSA scans whenever you get to it...

Please?

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Key ring that would do it..

• Options

Big time congrats. Look forward to seeing it in the new holder. Glad it worked out for you.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw your mail reveal on Facebook. Very cool.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on getting it in the holder you want.

• Options

beautiful! congrats!

• Options
    rmilinrmilin Posts: 91

So it looks like the idiot who had this card damaged the holder and the card in the way it was stored. Wow what a moron!!!
    Take it out maybe the damage is not even on the card most of the damage looks like its on the holder. If someone was so stupid to do that to a 52 Mantle my guess is you got a great price on the card unless there was a third party involved.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmilin said:
    So it looks like the idiot who had this card damaged the holder and the card in the way it was stored. Wow what a moron!!!
    Take it out maybe the damage is not even on the card most of the damage looks like its on the holder. If someone was so stupid to do that to a 52 Mantle my guess is you got a great price on the card unless there was a third party involved.

Wrong again. There is a hole in the card. Ankur, I don’t say this to criticize your card, which is a nice example. Simply to correct our esteemed member above who claims most of the damage is to the holder.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Love the low grade Mantle collection. Looks right at home.

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Congrats! Looks great in that PSA slab.