Home Precious Metals
Options

These 2014 American Gold Eagles just do not look right

The images are just off enough to see clear details. It looks to me like the fonts are not right, along with details across multiple areas. The seller has a number of them on auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Gold-American-Eagle-1oz-Fine-Gold-50/324145818743?hash=item4b7898ac77:g:aK4AAOSwgeJeo2OY

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look OK to me. His bright lighting is throwing off the appearance of the fonts and numerals.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

OK, thought I would ask. Lots of bidders so they know what they are doing. I just can not see how people pay that much when the images are not right. Thanks

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look authentic, though the bright light causes glare that tends to distort the device images....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic, just the photos..

Anyone considering buying an AGE, gold Buffalo or pre-33 gold I would recommend only buying better grade certified coins when possible. You will often find them cheaper on the BST forum and the peace of mind whenever you decide to resell down the road is priceless.

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many coins these days the "experts" cannot even determine authenticity with the coin physically in hand. Certainly not possible to determine from a picture.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok...... but you never know till you have it in hand.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks strange but it's probably because of the poor pics due to the bad lighting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor lighting, looks legitimate but I only buy from trusted sellers or reputable dealers like JMBullion, APMEX etc.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

At the right price I wouldn't hesitate to buy,

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I feel you on this one.
    I would buy from known and long standing dealers, and my one local dealer, only for this item.
    The $27 shipping alone would send me packing. If you don’t have faith in the selling price via auction then list a buy it now.
    Too many red flags for me.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

And from well-known people on the BST.
    Your instincts are right and pay attention to intuition.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Appears ebay/PP buyer protection is highly underrated.

But not by me!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 8:35PM

@RonB said:
    Looks authentic, just the photos..

Anyone considering buying an AGE, gold Buffalo or pre-33 gold I would recommend only buying better grade certified coins when possible. You will often find them cheaper on the BST forum and the peace of mind whenever you decide to resell down the road is priceless.

The one downside is that the higher the gold price goes, the more the more the premiums will melt away towards zero. That MS64 "better" Saint will be worth essentially the same as an AU58.

My own preference is to buy some "art" with my AGE's. Proof gold eagles. Much more limited quantities than the uncs. Only the ones in mint packaging with certs so that they qualify for inclusion in IRA's. They are in limited quantities and can be subject to effective promotions....like they last were in fall of 2009. Where did all the gold coin promotors go to?

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy from known and long standing dealers

+1

The $27 shipping alone would send me packing.

+2

The lack of good pics for a high value item is definitely a good reason to lose interest in the auction.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2020 9:01AM

weak pics?
    $27 shipping?

At the right TOTAL price, I'm a buyer. With ebay, I can always get my money back if item is not as described.

@jmski52 said:
    I would buy from known and long standing dealers

+1

The $27 shipping alone would send me packing.

+2

The lack of good pics for a high value item is definitely a good reason to lose interest in the auction.

And with this perspective from most buyers, I am often able to talk down the buyer's price and score a decent price for bullion. Thanks guys.