Home U.S. Coin Forum

1795 Large Cent - Green and Grimy

ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I have this 1795 Lettered Edge Large Cent and, as you can see, it is very green. Is there any safe way to remove the green stuff without damaging the coin or should I just let it be and keep it as is? Thanks for the input!

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

A long soak in olive oil may remove some of that crud.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Isn't mineral oil preferred?

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the olive oil. I have a FEC that it helped some. I think I left it in a jar of olive oil for about 6 months.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Olive oil is mildly acidic but is commonly used. Another technique used on ancient coins is to soak in distilled water over a long period of time and changing the water frequently. Because this happens to ancient coins, their cleaning techniques will probably apply here with the same expectations.

See the section on cleaning:
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Uncleaned Ancient Coins

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:

@PerryHall said:

Isn't mineral oil preferred?

Olive oil is the traditional soaking medium but mineral oil will also work and has the added advantage that it won't turn rancid. The soaking may take several months so you have to be patient. Also, you should occasionally change whatever oil that you use.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll try some of these techniques and hopefully it works out well. Thanks

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it’s possibly a metal detecting find. Large cents I have found improved some with an olive oil soak. But it wasn’t a drastic change. Good luck

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 9:49AM

S-75 R3?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find...and I agree with the olive oil soak (use the EVOO)....and it will take months. Cheers, RickO

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Likely plain not lettered edge, ONE CENT high in wreath--this is likely a S-76B.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a nice coin.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had mixed results with Olive oil. If the greening is due to verdigris or similar issue it tended to work. However, I had a particular 1819/8 with super nice details that had green corrosion on it. I left it in olive oil for over 6 months and nada...

Bonne Chance!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

@BigMoose - I'm sorry I didn't upload an image of the edge, but it definitely is lettered. I included one below.

@ReadyFireAim - The flip I got it in claims it is an S75 R-3 variety, so you're probably correct. Thanks for confirming it!

Although it is all green, it is still a nice coin.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for olive oil. With early copper, they have character and personality, even if they do have issues. Like some people.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

My bad! As a lettered edge 1795, the odds are high that it is a S-75 as there are only three varieties of 1795 lettered edge Large Cents, and S-75 is the most common.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

The double leaf under the 2nd S in STATES is the big one.
    The leaf almost touching the D in UNITED was another one.

I've been nailing them much more easily with the book a ferengi sold me known here as "opportunity"

I'm anxiously awaiting vol.2

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about soaking in OTC hydrogen peroxide? I have experimented on copper, bronze and brass items and have found that it does slowly dissolve organic debris with no noticeable change in metal surface condition. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file