Home U.S. Coin Forum

Covid-19 Commemorative Coin...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only comment is I’m surprised by how many products are on there called coins that look to be medals with enamel coloring. And no description of what the metal is in the medal.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're called "challenge coins." They were originally given out by military commanders to those who did good service as a method of thanking them. They've become popular now in the civilian world.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 9:06AM

It figures they misspelled the Secretary of the Treasury name wrong in the tease

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

GACK!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was nice of them.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

The White House gift shop is not part of the federal government. They are a private company. And this is a medal; I don’t know why they advertise it as a coin.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 10:25AM

中國製造

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    edited April 30, 2020 10:26AM

@SaorAlba said:
    中國製造

I was thinking the same thing

The irony

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    The White House gift shop is not part of the federal government. They are a private company. And this is a medal; I don’t know why they advertise it as a coin.

I don't think the general public knows the difference between a coin and a medal. They made some "coins" for an event at work, and since the guy who emailed out about it is a friend, I made sure to give him a hard time about incorrectly calling a medal a coin.

I was thinking, though, whether there could be legal implications if this were being sold by a government agency. I realize this is a private shop so it's different, but what if a government entity sold a medal of some kind using the word "coin" instead of medal? Are they breaking any rules/laws since the government is the only producer of real coins, so they are more actively lying/falsely advertising?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 10:35AM

I will not be rushing to buy this one.... and I like the @dcarr piece more...Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

$100? :o

And I wonder where they are made... :D

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can I resist the "Deal of the Day"? :o

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

No thank you.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

edited April 30, 2020 11:13AM

When your parents die and you clean out their house you find stuff like this in an old ash tray behind pictures of all the grandkids with candy corns, AAA batteries and little screws stuck to it

mark

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Kuwan providence. Got a discount

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Why wonder, it says they are made in the USA. All, that's 100%, of the sales will go to fight COVID-19. I'll not be on the waiting list but I think that the $100,000 will be welcomed by those entities that get it.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@JBK said:

Why wonder, it says they are made in the USA. All, that's 100%, of the sales will go to fight COVID-19. I'll not be on the waiting list but I think that the $100,000 will be welcomed by those entities that get it.

Good for them, on both counts. I stopped reading at $100 "deal of the day". :#

Still, I'd rather donate my own funds and get a reasonably priced medal (if I wanted one). And I can guarantee that the "Made in China" version will be on Alibaba before long.

• NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭

"How can you possibly be nostalgic about a concept like a little while ago?" - George Carlin

Bizarre timing, and more bizarre thing to even want to "commemorate." I think the WH Gift Shop would be better suited by getting a jump start on the Mint before they commemorate the Football Hall of Fame.

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read above. "Challenge coins"

Not for nothing, but they are giving $100,000 to John Hopkins and CDC and they are selling 1000 medals for $100 each. Who underwrites the cost of the medal production?

@JBK said:

@AUandAG said:

@JBK said:

Good for them, on both counts. I stopped reading at $100 "deal of the day". :#

Still, I'd rather donate my own funds and get a reasonably priced medal (if I wanted one). And I can guarantee that the "Made in China" version will be on Alibaba before long.

All $100 are going to the charity, so you're kind of getting the medal for free...assuming you wanted to donate $100, that is.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that now... Thanks for the clarification. It's not readily apparent from their "about" page...

https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/aboutus.asp

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

To expensive not worth the time cause you won’t be able to FLIP IT! However I made a killing on FLIPPING the Kim Jon UN / Trump medal some years back from the White House Gift Shop😜

@Gluggo said:
    To expensive not worth the time cause you won’t be able to FLIP IT! However I made a killing on FLIPPING the Kim Jon UN / Trump medal some years back from the White House Gift Shop😜

It’s important to know your suckers, I mean audience

mark

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is it a medal or a medallion?

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad we received our MM covid silver round. No thanks Donald! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really interested.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 9:36PM

Another one of Dr. Fu Manchu's Fiendish Plots.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Won't need a medal to remember this virus.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can put it next to your 9/11 SAE

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Together we fought the unseen enemy" and they include a picture of the enemy. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file