Home Autographs Forum
Options

Mickey Mantle Photo , What Is This ?

jarapojarapo Posts: 2
edited April 30, 2020 6:58AM in Autographs Forum

I have what appears to be an 5x7 photo of young Mickey Mantle, but .. it has 3 signatures on it. The signature along the arm has been traced over with a black marker. I found this in a box of misc items I purchased from an estate sell. I'm not sure if there are any legitimate signatures. I am hoping someone will be able to look at it and give me an idea on what I'm looking at.

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 7:43PM

@1951WheatiesPremium may have some answers for you - he’s posted a few Mantle autographed pics recently...

Jim

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 2:37AM

That’s a tough one. Here’s what I can tell you...

1) I am pretty sure that it’s from the late 1950s but not exactly sure what it’s from; this is a pose that was used fairly often and appeared on a couple of different sized items. It could have been a team issue or a product promo.

2) From the look of the cartoon fans in the background, it may have been from one of the various products he was always hawking at the time. The signature at top seems to say ‘Janet Mantle’; perhaps a young girl who dreamed of one day marrying Mickey was practicing her signature. Also, the bottom signature doesn’t seem genuine; it bears a mild resemblance to his signature as a 19/20 year old but that would require a flying DeLorean to be possible, if you catch my drift. The one in the middle looks like someone used a sharpie to trace over the facsimile signature which, is located at center by the arms.

3) Because I am one sick monkey, I have two of these. So here they are so that you can use them to for comparison:

Hope it helps...

PS - @bswhiten is one of the best and most knowledgeable guys around when it comes to Mickey Mantle (and in general).

He’s a good person to ask, too.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Wow ! Exactly the information I needed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I think I'll find a picture of a DeLorean to attach to this picture ;)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jarapo said:
    Wow ! Exactly the information I needed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I think I'll find a picture of a DeLorean to attach to this picture ;)

No problem. I accept PayPal. The price?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like someone was fooling around many years ago.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Agree with Tim. Uncatalogued premium... This is a good site for premium photos/info: mickeymantle7.net/mantle-premiums-2/