Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG Franklin Half Slab Reveal

FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2020 4:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My photos don't do the coin justice. I got a new phone awhile ago and can't get it to take good coin photos. In hand it has amazing luster and the hits are minimal. I thought it might be an upgrade. I've never owned one of the NGC W holders. Guess I'll hang onto it as is for awhile.

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63FBL.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 FBL.

• Options

I was able to get some more straight on shots.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

64fbl

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 FBL

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+FBL

Nice Frankie

Drunner

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

64fbl

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 FBL

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 FBL

• Options

64 FBL

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 for me. I think the hits on the bell lines near the central crack are enough to keep it from FBL.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIm going against the grain here, 65 FBL or 64+ FBL. I don't think the graders will see the hits at the mag they use.

Ken
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 63, no FBL.....the hits on the line disqualify that attribution IMO...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Based on the slabbed coins I have been looking at online over the past few months:
    I would not be surprised if this is a MS64. Depending on the grading company, I would not be surprised if they gave it a FBL.

Based on the potential cost difference between a MS64 and MS65, personally I would consider a MS65 over a 64. Otherwise, I would buy at minimum a 64 and take my time to find the one that best fits my preferences seeing they are not that expensive. I would even purchase a MS63 that looks right if I could not find a 64 that looked right.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

63, No FBL

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 FBL

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:
    IIm going against the grain here, 65 FBL or 64+ FBL. I don't think the graders will see the hits at the mag they use.

I think that the coin should grade no better than MS64, due to conspicuous marks on each side that would be apparent, without magnification.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I think the coin will go a MS64, but it may go lower, as I have an opinion. Not sure what the graders will say and depending on where the coin is sent. @MFeld

Ken
  • Options

@bearcave said:
    I think the coin will go a MS64, but it may go lower, as I have an opinion. Not sure what the graders will say and depending on where the coin is sent. @MFeld

I'm confused, as previously you wrote "IIm going against the grain here, 65 FBL or 64+ FBL. I don't think the graders will see the hits at the mag they use."

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I am with the majority here. I was flip flopping between 63 and 64, and agree with the 64 Obv and 63FBL reverse.
    Final Answer(s): 63FBL or 64, you will geet one or the other but not both.

• Options

I don't know anything! I never participate in these and that is why, I'm not even close with other people's coins and if I am I have no idea why! @MFeld LOL

Ken
  • Options

Full slab photo added.

• Options

@FHC said:

I'm going to be ignorant here, What is an NGC W Holder?

Ken
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2020 5:44PM

@bearcave said:

@FHC said:

“W” was a short-lived designation used by NGC for “white” coins.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@bearcave said:

@FHC said:

Ok, thanks for answering. Now I know.

Ken
  • Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Posted after the reveal. This is why I am heavily leaning to build a raw collection. I purchased the Red Book Franklin.... Half Dollar Guide and read as much as I could on PCGS and NGC about grading standards. @SkyMan offered some advice that I think makes sense. I am going to take a slow approach and start with raw coins that appeal to me.

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@bearcave said:

@FHC said:

I also believe they use "T" for toned coins.

• Options

Didn't know they used W and T on their slabs. This way I know something new.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file