Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Pencil Sketching

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2020 3:32PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

After the great Soi Dog donation offers from @MrEureka, and the impending completion of my home library, I decided to dig out my coin books from storage where they have primarily resided for the 5 years I was living in Europe.

I opened the first box and right on top was a set of scarce Compendio De Las Piezas De Ocho Reales which I forgot I even had! It was a late purchase before packing up the library and in fact I thought I had sold the set before moving.

Well, in the book was this pencil etching, almost a work of art.

Interestingly, this is the second such find I have had. Living in Dublin I bought a rare book called “Vanishing Dublin” where the artist Flora Mitchell (future Flora Jamison) documented the fading spaces in 1960’s Dublin. After the initial run of 500 the printers site burnt to the ground leaving this run as all that remains. The books are often cut with each print sold separately. Well inside my book was an original pencil sketching from Mitchell which is quite valuable and now hangs on the wall.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty darn cool and it looks like it is fairly large in size. Definitely a cool find.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 354 ✭✭✭

Interesting piece! Bet that would do quite well in a Sedwick auction...

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri - Do the catalog numbers on the pencil rubbings correspond to those in the catalog? Perhaps it's the owner's collection, attributed by the catalog? Pretty cool.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of doing some old tombstone rubbings with charcoal years ago. That is very cool. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    @Boosibri - Do the catalog numbers on the pencil rubbings correspond to those in the catalog? Perhaps it's the owner's collection, attributed by the catalog? Pretty cool.

Yes, good question. The numbers on the sketch correspond to the coin numbers in the book. Assuming this document is reflective of the previous owners collection. There is also a letter to a Geoff from Michael, Rosemary and Simon, no last name talking about hoping to see him once they are back on the mainland. Interesting!