Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020 W National Park Quarter search tips and results

derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2020 6:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked up three sealed $500 boxes of 2020 P Weir quarters from my bank commercial drive thru. As you know, the Weir rolls will contain either the Weir Art W's OR the Samoa Batcoin W's and not both. Batcoin W's were not produced in time to be included with the Samoa P & D coins, so they were added to boxes of Weir coins. Do not buy rolls of Samoa coins hoping to find Samoa W's. Overall Samoa W's looked better than what I saw in 2019.

Box 1, Weir P's:
73 Samoa W's
37% recycled quarters (rather high compared to 2019 boxes)
Remainder shiny new Weir P's

Box 2, Weir P's:
74 Samoa W's
40 % recycled quarters

Box 3, Weir P's:
46 Samoa W's
64% recycled quarters

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.
    What is your opinion as to how these might grade?
    From what I have read, the 2020's seem to be more 'beat up'
    compared to the 2019 releases.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2020 11:11AM

Sent a couple hundred 2019s for grading, got 64-67 PCGS. These batcoins look a wee bit better, definitely not worse. higher percentage of them fall in that range. While the obverse looks fully struck, privy marks are weak.

Edited to add: now that I have seen many more of the batcoins, overall they are more bingabanged than the 2019 W's. Looks to be 64-65 on avg. with a very few 66's.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

We appreciate your feedback, as it is interesting to hear your direct experience. One sad thing is that this whole "project" by the mint is IMO not working as far as drawing young collectors.
    My son and his scout and school friends couldn't give a rip about these or any other coins for that matter. Get them the damn Nintendo games and they are good...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to know.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Picked up three sealed $500 boxes of 2020 P Weir quarters from my bank commercial drive thru. As you know, the Weir rolls will contain either the Weir Art W's OR the Samoa Batcoin W's and not both. Batcoin W's were not produced in time to be included with the Samoa P & D coins, so they were added to boxes of Weir coins. Do not buy rolls of Samoa coins hoping to find Samoa W's. Overall Samoa W's looked better than what I saw in 2019.

Box 1, Weir P's:
    73 Samoa W's

Box 2, Weir P's:
    74 Samoa W's
    40 % recycled quarters

Box 3, Weir P's:
    46 Samoa W's
    64% recycled quarters

Hi derry,
    Can you tell me what State you live in please? Are you saying that new quarter rolls are mixed with rerolled circulated coin rolls?

I live in California and have purchase closed to $10k dollars in quarters and almost 95% are all rerolled circulated coins.

To date, I have found a total of $350 new 2020 Samoa rolls and all have only contained Denver minted coins.

I go to 3 different BofA and two local Safeways. The tellers know me and I keep getting no new coin rolls...

In 2009 I found ~200 coins.

Thanks for your input, Joe

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@derryb said:

Box 1, Weir P's:
    73 Samoa W's

Box 2, Weir P's:
    74 Samoa W's
    40 % recycled quarters

Box 3, Weir P's:
    46 Samoa W's
    64% recycled quarters

Hi derry,
    Can you tell me what State you live in please? Are you saying that new quarter rolls are mixed with rerolled circulated coin rolls?

I live in California and have purchase closed to $10k dollars in quarters and almost 95% are all rerolled circulated coins.

To date, I have found a total of $350 new 2020 Samoa rolls and all have only contained Denver minted coins.

I go to 3 different BofA and two local Safeways. The tellers know me and I keep getting no new coin rolls...

In 2009 I found ~200 coins.

Thanks for your input, Joe

The question was, are new rolls and rerolled circulated coins are in the same box? Usually a box is either all new rolls or all old. I have not encountered a mixed box....

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

What's a Weir roll anyways? And where can you find a bank that has an open lobby and would take the time to order quarters for you? LOL Drive-thru only in my state and I doubt they would order coin rolls for anyone, heck, all the bottle redemption centers are closed around here in upstate NY! (can't even get my nickel back!)

• Options
    edited May 10, 2020 11:10AM

@Joe_360 said:

The question was, are new rolls and rerolled circulated coins are in the same box? Usually a box is either all new rolls or all old. I have not encountered a mixed box....

Two types of rolls and boxes.

One will contain only recycled quarters that may include a few circulated earlier released W's that made their way back to the bank. You can look at the first ten rolls in a $500 box and if there are no new shiny coins on the ends then 99.999% chance the remaining 40 rolls are dirty old used quarters. In full swing, when bank lobbies are open, I average around 30 boxes a week to search. If the ends of the first 10 rolls are not new and shiny, they go back in the box with the remaining 40 rolls and back to the bank.

The other type will be a roll (box) of new coins that are either P or D coins, but not both. If the new coins are 2019 or 2020 then W's will normally be included with them (however, I just went through a box of new Guam War in the Pacific and found no W's). The two exceptions for new rolls/bosses are the 2019 Lowells and 2020 Samoas (first issue of each year) that do not have the W's because the P & D coins were shipped before the W's were ready to be mixed with them. Lowell W's got add to the subsequent issue, the American Memorial. The American Memorial rolls/boxes will contain either Lowell W's or American Memorial W's, but not both. Samoa W's got added to the subsequent issue, the Weir Farm. The Weir rolls/boxes will contain either the Samoa W's or the Weir W's, but not both.

It is rare for a roll of new coins to have 40 new coins. My experience has been that when the new coins are being rolled they appear to be added to a rolling drum that already has old quarters in it. Not unusual to find as many as 15-20 old quarters in a roll of new quarters. Naturally, the fewer old quarters in a new roll, the more W's you will find.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Joe_360 said:

Two types of rolls and boxes.

One will contain only recycled quarters that may include a few circulated earlier released W's that made their way back to the bank. You can look at the first ten rolls in a $500 box and if there are no new shiny coins on the ends then 99.999% chance the remaining 40 rolls are dirty old used quarters. In full swing, when bank lobbies are open, I average around 30 boxes a week to search. If the ends of the first 10 rolls are not new and shiny, they go back in the box with the remaining 40 rolls and back to the bank.

The other type will be a roll (box) of new coins that are either P or D coins, but not both. If the new coins are 2019 or 2020 then W's will be included with them. The two exceptions are rolls/bosses of 2019 Lowells and 2020 Samoas (first issue of each year) that do not have the W's because the P &D coins were shipped before the W's were ready to be mixed with them. Lowell W's got add to the subsequent issue, the American Memorial. The American Memorial rolls/boxes will contain either Lowell W's or American Memorial W's, but not both. Samoa W's got added to the subsequent issue, the Weir. The Weir rolls/boxes will contain either the Samoa W's or the Weir W's, but not both.

It is rare for a roll of new coins to have a full 40 new coins. My experience has been that when the new coins are being rolled they appear to be added to a rolling drum that already has old quarters in it. Not unusual to find as many as 15-20 old quarters in a roll of new quarters. Naturally, the fewer old quarters in a new roll, the more W's you will find.

Thank you:

• know that P&D will not be mixed as they come from different parts of the country. Since I m in Cali, in new rolls, we receive Denver minted coins.

To date, (my bank lobbies are open) all boxes that I have either ordered or just picked up directly have been recycled/circulated coins with the exception of ~$370 in 2020 Samoa (Bat) rolls which were all D mint.

30 boxes/week. How many banks do you use? Do you take the boxes right back to the bank if there are no new rolls in the box or deposit in a different location? (To your point, you can tell if the box does or does not contain new rolls in about 20 seconds....)

Can you please tell me what State you live in? Again, I am in the South Bay in the Bay Area of Cali and it has been only recycled quarter rolls and I have been through 16 plus boxes....

One more thing, my experience if different then yours, from Denver/West coast, new quarters rolls are never mixed with recycled quarters - I have never seen this after going through thousands of rolls...

Much thanks Joe

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb....Jackpot on W quarters....Hope there are some high grade quarters among them. Did any W quarters get mixed with S mint Samoa quarters? I think they were mixed only with P & D quarters, but not certain of that. Did any of the quarters have the V75 privy mark? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @derryb....Jackpot on W quarters....Hope there are some high grade quarters among them. Did any W quarters get mixed with S mint Samoa quarters? I think they were mixed only with P & D quarters, but not certain of that. Did any of the quarters have the V75 privy mark? Cheers, RickO

Hi Ricko,
    All 2020 WestPoint minted quarters will have the V75 privy mark. Also, S minted coins are not meant for circulation and are not mixed in P&D rolls.

• Options

@Joe_360 ....Hi Joe, Thanks for the reply...I have one of the V75 W quarters... Although the S quarters are not meant for circulation, they still sell rolls of them... So I was wondering if any W quarters were mixed in those rolls. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Joe_360 ....Hi Joe, Thanks for the reply...I have one of the V75 W quarters... Although the S quarters are not meant for circulation, they still sell rolls of them... So I was wondering if any W quarters were mixed in those rolls. Cheers, RickO

W quarters are not mixed with any products sold directly by the mint. They only go in coins shipped in bulk for bank distribution.

• Options

@derryb ....Thank you... that was my belief, but could not find where I had read it....And were they all privy mark quarters in your three boxes? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@kevinstang said:
    What's a Weir roll anyways?

Weir coins that come in bank rolls

And where can you find a bank that has an open lobby and would take the time to order quarters for you? LOL Drive-thru only in my state and I doubt they would order coin rolls for anyone, heck, all the bottle redemption centers are closed around here in upstate NY! (can't even get my nickel back!)

pull up to the drive thru drawer and tell them you'd like to buy a $500 sealed box of quarters. If they don't have one ask them to order. They normally get armored car carrier (same guys who roll the coins) deliveries once a week. They place orders for all of their cash needs with the carriers. Most banks, for security reasons won't tell you which day of the week.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2020 3:45PM

Box #4, 2019 San Antonios:

Surprised to find 193 Samoa W's and no other W's including no San Antonio W's.
    Tells me the carrier is mixing the Samoa W's with anything new and shiny.
    We know the Samoa W's were not ready to be salted into the Samoa P's or D's.
    W quality was down, MS 65 and below.
    Very few dirty quarters, 95% shiny stuff.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2020 11:17AM

Boxes #5-10, Weir Farm (four of the boxes passed thru the same drive thru commercial drawer):

Very few dirty quarters, 95% shiny stuff.
    W quality still in the 64-66 range.
    364 Samoa W batcoins.
    Found a couple of rolls with 4 and 5 W batcoins each.

Note: subsequent 8 boxes all dirty quarters, appears the well on the Samoa's has dried up locally. Not all of my drive thru banks have a commercial drive up drawer so there's hope they have some boxes with Samoa W's that have yet to be distributed. Won't know until the lobbies re-open.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    We appreciate your feedback, as it is interesting to hear your direct experience. One sad thing is that this whole "project" by the mint is IMO not working as far as drawing young collectors.
    My son and his scout and school friends couldn't give a rip about these or any other coins for that matter. Get them the damn Nintendo games and they are good...

As a collector, I'm torn between box/roll searching efforts and just letting them get circulated naturally. As a seller my justification is the only way to preserve the higher grades is to catch them before circulation.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @derryb ....Thank you... that was my belief, but could not find where I had read it....And were they all privy mark quarters in your three boxes? Cheers, RickO

All of the 2020 W's are supposed to have the privy mark.

Still hoping to find one that doesn't. LOL

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@7Jaguars said:

As a collector, I'm torn between box/roll searching efforts and just letting them get circulated naturally. As a seller my justification is the only way to preserve the higher grades is to catch them before circulation.

I think plenty of them will make their way into circulation, regardless of roll searching. All of the 2019 W quarters have been appearing for me in circulated rolls.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2020 11:51AM

After a two week dry spell, finally scored a new box of Weir Farms. For the first time this one had the Weir W's and not the Samoa W's. Previous boxes yielded 892 Samoa W's.

Box 11:
    172 Weir Farm W's
    very few dirty quarters, maybe 50
    About a dozen Samoa P's
    Remainder Weir Farm P's

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want one Samoa (not the Girl Scout cookie), not slabbed but MS66 quality ....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

There are no new 2020 quarter rolls in California. I have purchased over $20,000 in quarter roll boxes and only old quarters - I just keep returning -

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I used to be in the Chase for S Mint Quarters. I'd just order from the Mint and dream of the Day when I could flip them for a BIG Return. There was just one problem. No one wants ANY new Coins. No one wants S Mint Junk either.

Does anyone want W-Mint Quarters? Can all you W Hoarders sell your Finds anywhere? Is there a market at the end of the line?

The Mint is just playing with themselves in a new way. They seem to want to jam Quarters through the Federal Reserve System instead of having them pile up like their Trillions of Golden Dollar Coins.

This would be the only construction way to interpret the Minting of W Quarters. Is there any other benefit out there?

• Options
    edited May 27, 2020 12:53PM

@FullStrike said:

Does anyone want W-Mint Quarters? Can all you W Hoarders sell your Finds anywhere? Is there a market at the end of the line?

Paid cash for a new car with just some of the 2019 W proceeds so that I could ride in style picking up boxes of 2020 W's. Sold 320 Samoas to one buyer.

Yes there is a market, a very good one. They are a cash cow and inventory only cost a quarter.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    There are no new 2020 quarter rolls in California. I have purchased over $20,000 in quarter roll boxes and only old quarters - I just keep returning -

I've gone through similar dry spells, weeks at a time. Then all of a sudden it's raining W's. Don't give up. Also helps to know the carrier's route so that when you find a good box, you know where the next four or five or twenty got dropped off at. They appear all at once and then they go back into hiding.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@FullStrike said:

Paid cash for a new car with just some of the 2019 W proceeds so that I could ride in style picking up boxes of 2020 W's. Sold 320 Samoas to one buyer.

Yes there is a market, a very good one. They are a cash cow and inventory only cost a quarter.

Wow looks like You, Mr Derry, are doing well. I take my cynicism back a notch.

BUT overall I still think the big winner is the US Mint and the seniorage game they're benefiting from.

I've purchased I box of Quarters. Looked through around 15 Rolls. One day I might finish up the rest and somehow cash em all in.

Keep up your win streak. Nice to know someone is doing well.

👍

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    . Also helps to know the carrier's route so that when you find a good box, ...

Then I might get a visit from the FBI.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file