Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Keep the holders or submit for Variety Attribution? - Question: Dealers & Variety collectors

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a small grouping of older ANACS and NGC holders, no fatties, that I considering to have crossed and attributed. I, like some collectors, would insist on having the variety attributed on the holder for the premium. Some dealers I have talked with want the variety labeled as well before they will give a buy price. What do you think - keep ‘em as-is or submit ‘em?

1865 2C O/R Die Clash FS-401/901 (NGC MS63RB)
1867 Rays 5C RPD FS-303 (NGC MS61)
1903 1C RPD FS-303 S-7 (Old White ANACS MS65RB)
1938 5C DDO FS-101 (Old White ANACS MS66 Attributed)
1941-S 5C Large S FS-501 (Old White ANACS MS65 Attributed)

I made this poll anonymous, but I welcome your comments, public or private.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Keep the holders or submit for Variety Attribution? - Question: Dealers & Variety collectors

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The label should be complete to match the Variety ... IMO.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the variety people want, not the holder.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Personally I'd send them in for attribution and info on the label. Suppose you don't and then you have them in your collection and pass on off the mortal coil. Do you think most people looking to buy your collection will give your family the benefit of figuring out what the variety really is, even if you leave a note or sticky on the slab? Make it easy on your family and get it done sooner than later.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:
    Personally I'd send them in for attribution and info on the label. Suppose you don't and then you have them in your collection and pass on off the mortal coil. Do you think most people looking to buy your collection will give your family the benefit of figuring out what the variety really is, even if you leave a note or sticky on the slab? Make it easy on your family and get it done sooner than later.

^^^This^^^

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I sent in some Indian Cent varieties for grading at our host, without paying for the variety attribution, just to get them into straight graded holders. When I sold them I took great pictures and noted the varieties in the auction listings, and I got absolutely killed. So my opinion is that is you are going to sell them as a variety, go the extra mile and get them listed on the holders, because your bidders are probably netting out the cost for them to do it from their bids.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is strictly a monetary decision. Are the varieties going to bring enough to justify the cost and bother of having them slabbed yet again.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you planning to keep them or sell them? If keep, only your personal preference matters. If sell, try to figure out if the Old Holder premium exceeds the Variety premium. Personally I would rather have the variety, I don’t collect plastic.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you will be selling, then submit and get attribution....Usually adds more value than the holders will attract. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an alternative to expensive crossover or resubmission, but I prefer not to advertise here, so I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

The goal is to sell, ultimately, all of my collection.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough info on the generation of the slab to say if the variety or the slab is worth more, that's the real question you have to answer. But you indicate that two of the older small ANACS slabs already have the attribution so it would seem silly to spend the extra money just get what you already have. I could understand if it was an ocd thing and you just have to have matching slabs but since selling is the prime motivation adding cost to your item that doesn't add extra value is unnecessary and thus a no brainer to leave as is.

And you say that the NGC are not the old fatties so again if having the attribution on the label will add more value than the cost to slab those are a no brainer.

The only one that is a tougher call is the 1903 and the condition of the coin is really important because copper in old holders is often very desirable as copper collectors understand that the color of coins in these older holders is stable and not likely to turn. Where copper coins in new holders is suspect as the coin could have been enhanced and has a greater chance of the color turning. So this one is the tough call because of the slab premium but also for the color comfort factor, this is one I would really think about before cracking.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 9:06AM

Yes, good luck in your decision. This most definitely, is a tough call! All because of premiums. Deciding to "pay" a premium for the attribution and the "reward" premium you would receive for having the attribution on the slab. You would have to do the research, like mentioned earlier, to calculate the difference in the cost of the additional premium to apply the variety, as to the worth of the variety. Good Luck in whatever you decide. In saying that, this is a nice problem to have. Lol 🙂

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file