Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two New Ones from Yesterday, Free at Last.

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to go fishing in San Diego for the first time in a month and a half.

Fishing, the beaches, and Ocean have been closed but reopen yesterday so I went out at sunrise.

I personally took down the Beach Closed Sign >:)

We went out looking for Halibut but ran into a horrible red tide. No visibility for the fish.

I did end up catching a large Mantis Shrimp which was the first one ever I was able to land on my Kayak.

I heard they are delicious so I kept it brought it home and ate it. Wow, super delicious.

These are extremely dangerous creatures as then can take your finger off.

So I got a first yesterday with the Matis Shrimp.

Got home and in the mailbox, I got my first ever Silver Kennedy Half Dollar Struck Thru Cloth :)

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time seeing one of those...shrimp...colorful.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good looking shrimp!

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 10:26AM

Nice coin!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kewl you were able to get out and about, but being a landlubber all I can say about eating the shrimp is YUCK!

• Options

I did also get a coin ;)

IMO, way undergraded.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice shrimp. So colorful.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! Sounds like fun! Can we see the half dollar close up?

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the shrimp have pinchers you removed? How does it remove a finger? Just curious. Also did it come on hook and line.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are critters in the Ocean that haven't even been named yet. ;)

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Kewl you were able to get out and about, but being a landlubber all I can say about eating the shrimp is YUCK!

That is one U G L Y Critter. I'd say anyone willing to eat something that awful looking is one brave seafood lover.

Looks like monster excrement . Any UFO Activity around there ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins.... Wow... have spent a lot of time on the ocean...and done a lot of ocean fishing. However, I have never seen a Mantis Shrimp before.... I would definitely eat it if I caught one...at least once I identified it and knew it was edible. ;) I like seafood, and fresh caught fish are the very best. I did not see pincers on that...how do they do harm? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! ... but the other thing looks like a counterfeit.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 1:49PM

Might need to let them landlubbers know that you only eat the meat inside the tail on these, not the ugly stuff in front. Lol
    Cool Kennedy!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fresh shrimp is delicious. Cool coin, any close ups?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantis shrimp can snap their claws at something like supersonic speed which pretty much smash what they connect with, iirc.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are good. Love the shrimp.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2020 9:40AM

@kaz said:
    Mantis shrimp can snap their claws at something like supersonic speed which pretty much smash what they connect with, iirc.

Very interesting. The shrimp more than the beautiful Kennedy, sorry. Even though, I love any struck-through's. These creatures have their rights too. They defend themselves just as us creatures defend ourselves. Lol 🦐

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2020 10:13AM

A friend found and sent me this price list which I shared with my fishing buddies. One of their wives asked, "How does a $130 shrimp taste?" I answered ... "delicious!" :p

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that’s a gigantic shrimp! How many did you get? 2 buckets full? :p

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd a sold that sucker! :#

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    A friend found and sent me this price list which I shared with my fishing buddies. One of their wives asked, "How does a $130 shrimp taste?" I answered ... "delicious!" :p

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "The title of fastest punch in the animal kingdom firmly belongs to the peacock mantis shrimp, whose club-like appendages reach the speed of a . 22-calibre slug, shatter clam shells with ease and can slice human fingers to the bone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5FEj9U-CJM

That was informative and hilarious!

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you prepare the delicious mantis shrimp?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2020 8:01AM

A Beach Closed sign, a red tide, and a plague.

What other signs do you people need to stay inside? Is it gonna take your own grandma dying for you people to care? There are piles of bodies in NYC under armed guard because they ran out of refrigerated trucks. They ran out of mass graves in Venezuela the other day because they can't dig fast enough and there's no one left to do the digging. People in Peru are just burning the piles.

And you're at the beach. It is people like you who will be solely to blame for the deadlier second wave in 14-17 days.

It'll be pearl clutching and gasping at how could this ever happen, again? "But nobody told us when we were reopening that it was a fatal mistake," you people will say, and cry, "why didn't the government save us from our own stupidity?" but with different words. There will be no sympathy wasted on my end.

I hope you're not overweight or have high blood pressure. In which case, by all means, please continue to go outside. You'll weigh next to nothing in no time. Endothelium being actively destroyed along with blood vessels has never felt so good.

Lunatics.

• Options

@Wahoo554 said:
    How did you prepare the delicious mantis shrimp?

Split the shell, fry in butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and lime :p

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    A Beach Closed sign, a red tide, and a plague.

What other signs do you people need to stay inside? Is it gonna take your own grandma dying for you people to care? There are piles of bodies in NYC under armed guard because they ran out of refrigerated trucks. They ran out of mass graves in Venezuela the other day because they can't dig fast enough and there's no one left to do the digging. People in Peru are just burning the piles.

And you're at the beach. It is people like you who will be solely to blame for the deadlier second wave in 14-17 days.

It'll be pearl clutching and gasping at how could this ever happen, again? "But nobody told us when we were reopening that it was a fatal mistake," you people will say, and cry, "why didn't the government save us from our own stupidity?" but with different words. There will be no sympathy wasted on my end.

I hope you're not overweight or have high blood pressure. In which case, by all means, please continue to go outside. You'll weigh next to nothing in no time. Endothelium being actively destroyed along with blood vessels has never felt so good.

Lunatics.

California has had one of the strictest and longest stay at home orders.

The Governor and Mayor made the decision to open the waterways and you are allowed to transit the beach. You are not allowed to sit on the beach. You MUST have a mask if you come within six feet of others.

Safe guidelines which allow us to get exercise.

Be safe out there.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens Wow, what do you do every year when the Flu season hits? Hunker down for 5 months? In the 2019-2020 flu season (not totally tabulated yet) there were somewhere between 25,000 and 60,000 deaths and that is with a Flu vaccine. I don't hear you panicking about that, but you should for sure. The Flu is extremely contagious like COVID-19 and infected about 40,000,000 people. It is indiscriminate and kills all ages with no preference. COVID-19 appears not to be so encompassing and we'll see how many die from it when it's all over. The coronavirus named SARS was also just as contagious and far more deadlier. That virus was able to be contained. SARS death rate was 9.5% but died out quickly with the heat of the summer. It never, fortunately had a second wave or came back. All vaccine research dried up and no vaccine was ever developed as there appears to be no need. We don't know what COVID-19 will do but we shouldn't live in fear of the future. We have a short time on this earth and should make the most of it, illness or not.
    It's quite okay to be cautious and follow guidelines from "experts". It's also quite okay to venture outside. COVID-19 is killed by the Sun's UV radiation in about 1.5 minutes. The chances of it spreading when you are outdoors is far less than that of spreading while indoors. This makes common sense when you think about the origin of the virus. Bats live in dark places and avoin the sunlight. The virus is at home in these places and not in the sunlight. So, I say that everyone should get out and enjoy the countryside as much as you can stand!
    Be well, stay safe,
    bob :)
    Oh, and that shrimp in NT all the way all the day!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the shrimp taste like shrimp/prawns or like lobster?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@shorecoll said:
    Did the shrimp taste like shrimp/prawns or like lobster?

Absolutely tastes like a shrimp, super delicious.

I catch plenty of Lobsters every year and they taste OK, the shrimp is so much better tasting tho. Completely different flavors.

• Options
  • Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Who knew, I used to catch these all the time in Santa Monica Bay while fishing for halibut. I threw them all back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file