Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a retained lamination or a retained strike-through?

TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this nickel for a long time but haven't bothered to really look at it much. It's very intriguing. I assume there isn't a great deal of value for this type of error but I'm curious as to what happened to achieve this result. It is a 1940s. So far as I can tell there is nothing special about the obverse so I didn't bother imaging it.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 9:59AM

I believe it's a laminantion. Looks like there may be torn metal in the upper right of the "void"

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

The sharp edges and lack of peeling lean me against lamination but there are probably laminations like this.

• Options

Thanks Fred! It was a new one for me.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, it’s both, but I too would call it a retained lamination flip

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to say that it looks like a lamination, but then I read down and saw that Fred had answered. :smile: I think you have your answer!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice lamination example. I like it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamination!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting nickel... That would be a keeper for me....What year is that? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Interesting nickel... That would be a keeper for me....What year is that? Cheers, RickO

It’s a 1940s. I bought it in the junk table of a local coin shop years ago. I picked up several nice laminations from that table back then. Always found them interesting. This one was just enough different to stump me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file