Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will this straight grade? Please help with circulated Jefferson

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this coin and I am hoping that it will get a straight grade and not end up with details or scratch on the label.
I was hoping you guys could share your expertise and help my poor grading skills. Please help.

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of a heinous scratch, and not well hidden. If it were uncirculated, I'd say definitely a details holder, but since it's circulated, I'll say probably a details holder.

• android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're sending it in as a validation of the variety, it doesn't matter if it is a straight grade or details. If the variety is what your saying it is, it should be graded as genuine details, which I'm assuming is what you are trying for.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@android01 said:
    If you're sending it in as a validation of the variety, it doesn't matter if it is a straight grade or details. If the variety is what your saying it is, it should be graded as genuine details, which I'm assuming is what you are trying for.

It is the variety, no doubt, but I care more about the grade than attribution. N1 coins do not help my set, and I dislike details slabs. I would rather not have a coin than have a details, particularly for the price of this 1958 before grading.

• android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Understood. In any case, I don't think it will straight grade. The scratch is pretty severe.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think it will get a details grade...the scratch just stares you right in the face in the prime focal area of the coin.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that will get a 'details' grade... that scratch is right in the focal area...Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scratch is very visible. It should not be in a straight graded holder.

All glory is fleeting.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

While it should not get a straight grade if it did any potential buyer would look at the coin and go how did you get this straight graded and heavily discount any offer to buy, its in the correct holder now.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Rocco, how've you been? My first reaction was similar to the previous posts. However, I remember a mini-tutorial Mr. Insider gave us a few months ago regarding gradable planchet scratches. In particular, your first picture shows the scratch going "underneath" the hair. If it were a scratch, how is it the hair is not scratched? While circulated, the scratch on your coin is not "shiny" which might also indicate it was a planchet scratch. And finally, if it were a staple-type scratch on the planchet, the appearance of the scratch on the device looks like it is "split open" and has rounded edges. Again, subject to circulation, wouldn't a staple-type scratch have sharper edges?

Anyway, I lean towards it not receiving a grade, but there's enough doubt I would keep asking. Well, actually my wife says I just like being the contrarian. : )

Hope all is well.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely details holder.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That scratch kills it. Try a Coin World "slab" holder. That's mostly what I do with my non-gradable coins or those not worth the cost of slabbing.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details IMHO.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make it your pocket piece for a couple years. ;)

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the opinions and expertise.
    Best wishes,
    Rocco

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file